When do you buy a new system?

Examine the concepts and building blocks of games and systems with us.

When do you buy a new system?

Postby Thoul » Thu Nov 8, '07, 4:08 am

When a new game console comes out that interests you, are you one of the first to buy it or do you wait a while? If you wait, how long do you postpone your purchase?

I always wait a year or two, for the price to drop a little and the game library to increase to a respectable amount.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby SparkyIII » Thu Nov 8, '07, 4:35 am

I always wait until its a popular system and you can get them really cheap. Or until there's a game that I can't stand not having so we have to get the console.
SparkyIII
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 40

Postby Neithird » Thu Nov 8, '07, 6:23 pm

Same as Sparky, I wait for a lower price or a really great game.
:clyde: · · · :pacman: · · · · · · ● · · · · :inky: · · ·
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." ~ Optimus Prime
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 21

Postby LordShibas » Thu Nov 8, '07, 6:43 pm

I buy a new system when I feel it's worth the purchase. Money isn't usually an issue. It's usually based on at least one good fighting game and an arcade stick being available. I bought my 360 when Dead or Alive 4 and the DOA 4 arcade stick came out. I purchased my PS3 when Virtua Fighter 5 and Tekken 5 Dark Resurrection came out. I also snagged two PS3 arcade sticks when I bought it.

I got my PSP since there were a lot of games I wanted for it, mostly RPGs, and after the most recent price drop. I bought my DS a long time ago. I feel it was a moderatly worthwhile purchase for DS games, and a very worthwhile purchase for playing GBA games.

I'm still waiting for a reason to have any interest in the Wii. I'm quite a gaming nut, and it says something when a system has been available for about a year, and I still don't care about it.
LordShibas
Cyborg
Cyborg

Achievements: 9

Postby Thoul » Sat Nov 10, '07, 12:10 am

They're still making arcade sticks for consoles? I didn't know that. I'm going to have to look into - I've always loved having the feel of an arcade control scheme below my hands.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby SparkyIII » Sat Nov 10, '07, 9:19 am

Gah, I could never handle an arcade stick. It was so horrible with me. Like I'd be trying to go one way and it'd go the other, then thinking the stick was malfunctioning I'd look and see that it was my hand doing it. XD
Everything has a pattern. Something set. Even random things. They aren't random at all, its complex mathematics. The trick is to find the pattern. Then you can exploit it.

People think things have a certain end. Taxes. Work. Due dates don't really exist. Trust me. When you put a band of world scholars in the same room, and set them on talking about anything, the most interesting topics come up. The existence of negative time. The probability of "random occurrence". The government's involvement in the media. And falsified due dates. They aren't real, trust me....
SparkyIII
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 40

Postby LordShibas » Tue Nov 13, '07, 2:30 am

Thoul wrote:They're still making arcade sticks for consoles? I didn't know that. I'm going to have to look into - I've always loved having the feel of an arcade control scheme below my hands.

Let me know what consoles you'd be looking to get arcade sticks for. I might be able to point you in the right direction of some good ones.
LordShibas
Cyborg
Cyborg

Postby lee » Tue Nov 13, '07, 2:42 am

I wait until it goes on sale for a great price.
lee
Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Achievements: 7

Postby Thoul » Tue Nov 13, '07, 2:43 am

Well, mainly the most current consoles I have - GameCube and PlayStation 2. I picked up a Soul Calibur game (my first in the series) for the GC not long ago, so I imagine the stick would be great for that. I bet it would be an awesome experience with the Tales series, too.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby LordShibas » Tue Nov 13, '07, 3:34 am

I don't have any fighting games for GC, besides the Naruto games, so I don't have any arcade sticks for it. This is the only one I know of:

http://store.videogamecentral.com/ps2acc9568.html

I tend to not like the arcade sticks that are shaped like Xs. I like the square arcade sticks.

As for PS2, the decent arcade sticks are going to cost some money. The Tekken 5 arcade sticks that come with the special edition of Tekken 5 are still decent prices on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... 667&sr=8-4

I have 3 of these. Got them on clearance from an EB for $19.99 a piece.

The Street Fighter Anniversary Edition Arcade Stick for (PS2 & Xbox) are decent too, but I've heard their lives are not too long.
They are charging a crap load for them too:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... 797&sr=8-1

I have 1 of these and that's it.
LordShibas
Cyborg
Cyborg

Next

Return to Tech and Design