Current Events - News Of The Day

Chat about things happening around the world.

Postby Thoul » Thu Aug 9, '07, 4:32 am

It's dangerous work, tunneling into the ground. The world wouldn't be what it is today without mining, though.

I'm glad to hear the shuttle launched okay. I remember when the Challenger exploded. I was at home watching it launch on TV when that happened. So sad. :( One of my teachers that year was actually in the running to be on that shuttle.

I just hope it comes back down safely. Returning seems to be more of a problem for NASA than going up lately.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Fri Aug 10, '07, 2:41 am

Thoul wrote:It's dangerous work, tunneling into the ground. The world wouldn't be what it is today without mining, though.

I'm glad to hear the shuttle launched okay. I remember when the Challenger exploded. I was at home watching it launch on TV when that happened. So sad. :( One of my teachers that year was actually in the running to be on that shuttle.

I just hope it comes back down safely. Returning seems to be more of a problem for NASA than going up lately.

I agree, thoul, on the mining and on the space shuttle coming down.

Update on the mining accident: the news reports were saying awhile ago that it might not be very long before they were able to find out if any of the miners were alive by reaching them with the drill, even though it would still be a good while before they are able to get any of them out. Now that timeline has been pushed back until sometime early tomorrow morning at the earliest, I think. I don't know how the families stand this waiting and wondering, it is really beginning to get on my nerves just watching it all. :bang:
Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Tsunami » Fri Aug 10, '07, 4:37 am

I'm wondering how long the miners can survive down there... Sad to think about what they're going through.
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Fri Aug 10, '07, 11:24 pm

I agree Tsunami. According to what I've heard today, they got a microphone down there but have heard absolutely NO sounds. They don't know if they got the microphone in the right place or not, though, so they are drilling a bigger hole to put a camera down so they can see what's down there and they should have that done by sometime tomorrow I think. I heard that it will still be four to five days, or more, before they can even get to them to get them out though. They think the air quality is good down there. Still, it's been a very long time, though. Everyone is still hoping for the best. The miners knew what to do in this type of situation. Let's just hope that they were alive and able to do what they needed to and will be okay.
Silver_Surfer1

Postby Tsunami » Sat Aug 11, '07, 12:09 am

... Okay, so they're too busy drilling holes for microphones to communicate rather than focusing on the task at hand? Lives are at risk, here. :bang:

And from what I recall, you can only go 3 days without water and a week without food. (I could be wrong)
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby Thoul » Sat Aug 11, '07, 7:25 am

Supposedly, there are supposed to be caches of water in the mine, in case something like this happens. If the miners can get to those, water may not be a problem. Of course, that assumes the water wasn't buried under a ton of rock...
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sat Aug 11, '07, 5:04 pm

Well, it is almost noon Saturday here and we are waiting to hear a news conference that is supposed to happen sometime soon as this second and bigger hole that has been drilled is supposed to break through so they can put the camera in it to see what's happening. Also, this second hole is big enough to lower down water and food and other necessities if need be.

Regarding the supplies the miners might have with them, I heard another miner talking about this the other day and he said that the miners always carry very large lunches down there with them with extra's just in case something like this were to happen so they would have some food supplies for a time, if they can get to them.

Also, while one rescue team has been drilling these small holes to reach the miners and have contact with them faster, there is another rescue team working at the same time in another area to remove debris and clear the way to open a path so the miners themselves can be freed when they are able to reach them. So it is a combined rescue effort in many directions it seems. More power to them all.

We'll learn more at the news conference today, I hope.
Silver_Surfer1

Postby Thoul » Sun Aug 12, '07, 12:48 am

It seems like this shuttle is going to have problems, too. The news mentioned something about a gouge in the bottom of it. I didn't catch the whole story, but that can't be good.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sun Aug 12, '07, 11:13 pm

You're right, Thoul! More problems with the space shuttle. I'm not surprised due to the age of these shuttles. They really should get new ones or find some other way to travel, etc. There have been too many accidents already with them. I only hope they get back home safely once again.

And, a news update on the mining situation for today, in the last report I heard, there is no news, no sign or word from the miners, and they are drilling a THIRD hole in another location to see if that will help any. :(
Silver_Surfer1

Postby Divine Dragon » Mon Aug 13, '07, 1:17 am

Is it really so difficult to get it right? :?

I mean, I know they use the phrase "It's not rocket science" for things that are easy.. but .. uh.. we've done enough launches now... surely..
Divine Dragon
Cyborg
Cyborg

Achievements: 20

PreviousNext

Return to Current Events