Current Events - News Of The Day

Chat about things happening around the world.

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Thu Sep 6, '07, 2:07 pm

Sad news for today (Thursday-Sept. 06)- Italian Opera Singer, Luciano Pavarotti, has died of cancer. He was age 71. Condolences to his family, friends, and many fans. :cry: :whistle:
Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby The $ Avenger » Thu Sep 6, '07, 11:58 pm

In regard to all the Chinese recalls: there's no standards for achievement in communism, proven yet again. :evil:

Flying nukes over the US: I'm not an explosives expert by any means, but wouldn't a nuke have to be armed to go off, even in a crash? :hmm:
"Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit." Vyse, Skies of Arcadia Legends.
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 7

Postby Thoul » Fri Sep 7, '07, 5:10 am

It depends on what kind of nukes they were. If it's something made recently, I'm sure it would have to be armed. If they were really old, then it's possible they might have been able to go off in a crash. And of course, never underestimate Murphy's Law. :o
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Atolm » Fri Sep 7, '07, 11:36 pm

Sad news today as the famous children's author Madeleine L'Engle passed away from natural causes. She wrote memorable books such a A Wrinkle in Time, A Swiftly Titling Planet and A Wind in the Door.

One of my favorite authors as a child. =/

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/08/books ... ref=slogin
Dark Force: This is the best chocolate cupcake EVAR! *stuffs face*
Atolm
Guardian
Guardian

Achievements: 27

Postby Thoul » Sat Sep 8, '07, 12:28 am

Very sad. :( I don't recall many of the books I read when I was a child, but I can imagine some of those were among them.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sat Sep 8, '07, 3:01 am

Atolm, thank you so much for the link regarding Madeleine L'Engles death.

Condolences to her family and friends on her passing.

I'm not sure if I have read any of her books, but probably have. While reading the information there on her death, I found out she was married to actor Hugh Franklin who used to be on the Soap Opera, All My Children, years ago. I remember him well from that soap. He was a very fine actor. He passed away several years ago. May they both rest in peace.

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Mon Sep 10, '07, 6:02 pm

The search continues today for explorer Steve Fosset who disappeared in an airplane about a week ago now.

It seems like they should have found some trace of him, or his plane, by now. I heard they have found other plane wreakages that may be very old crashes, etc., but no sign of Mr. Fossett. It seems like the tracker devises on him or the plane would pick up a signal, but they may have been turned off or damaged. If anyone could survive something like this, he should be able to do so. Best of luck to him. Hope they find something soon.

Silver_Surfer1

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Wed Sep 12, '07, 6:18 pm

Lots of things happening in the news so far on today, Wednesday, September 12th.

First, still no sign of missing explorer Steve Fossett. I heard some interesting things about this search to find him, though. As I said earlier, they have found several other plane wreckages, although none of them Mr. Fosset, however some of these wreckages are over 20 or 30 years old, so there may be some news there for the families that may have lost loved ones in one or more of those crashes. Hard to believe someone has been missing for that long and not found yet, or atleast the wreckage of their plane either. I also found out something else I did not know. This area is called "The Bermuda Triangle" of the state or area where it is located, as there have been several unsolved disappearances there. That's spooky! :yaknow:

Second, there has been a major earthquake in Indonesia. I think it was 8. something on the reichter scale. Already several Tsunami warnings have been posted in the area. Good Luck to all those folks and hope they make it safely through with few casualties, if any.

Third, the football player who sustained an injury and was thought to be paralyzed is now able to move some parts of his body, so that is very good news, and looks bright for the future.

Lots of news going on in Russia today concerning their government, etc. It's kind of refreshing hearing someone else's government going through a possible "shakeup" of sorts, since it seems our govenment in the US always seems to have it's problems. :yaknow:

News also that Russia has tested a BIG bomb not too long ago. Supposed to be much bigger than the US Mother of all bombs. It must be HUGE. :o :blank:

It just occurred to me, I wonder if with all these bomb testings, nuke testings, etc., etc., etc., if all that "shaking" of the earth, etc., may not have something to do with all these earthquakes occuring everywhere? Just a thought.

Any Comments or Opinions welcome. :wink:

Silver_Surfer1

Postby Thoul » Wed Sep 12, '07, 8:06 pm

It just occurred to me, I wonder if with all these bomb testings, nuke testings, etc., etc., etc., if all that "shaking" of the earth, etc., may not have something to do with all these earthquakes occuring everywhere? Just a thought.

I doubt it, unless they're crazy enough to detonate on top of a major fault line. In that case, it might cause some tremors, but I think that would probably be local to the test area.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Tsunami » Wed Sep 12, '07, 11:45 pm

Secret_Surfer wrote:News also that Russia has tested a BIG bomb not too long ago. Supposed to be much bigger than the US Mother of all bombs. It must be HUGE. :o :blank:

I've never liked that bombs and weapons are being made, even if it's for self-proclaimed "safety" and "security" reasons. (hey, sounds like the US!) Weapons and such were made for one reason when it comes down to it... :sweat:
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

PreviousNext

Return to Current Events