Current Events - News Of The Day

Chat about things happening around the world.

Re: Current Events - News Of The Day

Postby Divine Dragon » Tue Jul 24, '07, 5:17 am

I'm sure J.K's said that she's ending it there.. so yeah, just keep people guessing I suppose.

Oooh. Daniel's eighteenth.. :cake: And he just played a fifteen year old :3

Funny that xD

One thing I am very much looking forward to in the final Harry Potter film is Ginny giving Harry his birthday present.. I'm a huge Ginny fan... D: <3
Divine Dragon
Cyborg
Cyborg

Achievements: 20

Postby Atolm » Tue Jul 24, '07, 9:31 pm

I finished reading the book at 6 am today. I am still digesting what I have read, overall, I think I will re-read the series again. Just not anytime soon.

I felt the epilogue was not needed. I would have felt a better closure if it was months later, an aftermath of what happened. Too abrupt for me anyways. That and the kid's name were a little cheesy for me.. but I am not the author, oh well! :D
Atolm
Guardian
Guardian

Achievements: 27

Postby Divine Dragon » Wed Jul 25, '07, 12:06 am

Atolm wrote:
I felt the epilogue was not needed. I would have felt a better closure if it was months later, an aftermath of what happened. Too abrupt for me anyways. That and the kid's name were a little cheesy for me.. but I am not the author, oh well! :D
I think.. both would have been perfect xD For me that is.

And I think they named their children how I would have in Harry's situation.. *shrug*
Divine Dragon
Cyborg
Cyborg

Postby Atolm » Wed Jul 25, '07, 12:41 am

Divine Dragon wrote:
Atolm wrote:
I think.. both would have been perfect xD For me that is.

And I think they named their children how I would have in Harry's situation.. *shrug*

Understandable. =) Just my feeling on it. That's all.

Now that this series is over, what other books series have caught anyone's interest to read?
Atolm
Guardian
Guardian

Postby Divine Dragon » Wed Jul 25, '07, 2:05 am

It's not over until the final film in my eyes..

And.. as for the next book series.. ._. I dunno.. nothing NEW anyway..

I do however, recommend the Pearl Sage by Eric Van Lustbader..
Divine Dragon
Cyborg
Cyborg

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Mon Jul 30, '07, 10:50 pm

Well, it seems there is a LOT going on in the world of news on this day. Sadly, however, there are several passings today.

(1)Tom Synder - former newsman and host of "The Tomorrow Show" which ran on NBC in the 1970's-80's after The Tonight Show, etc. I believe he died from complications of Leukemia. He was an awesome guy with such a tremendous outlook on news events, life, etc.

(2)Ingmar Bergman - filmmaker has died.

(3)Bill Walsh, I believe is his name. Former Football coach has also died.

Condolences to the families and friends of all these folks. :(

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Thu Aug 2, '07, 10:52 pm

Well, I suppose by now everyone has heard of the tragedy in the news in Minnesota regarding the collapsing of the bridge and those who were injured and lost their lives. Anyone here from that area? Sending prayers and condolences out to all those affected. Hopefully, all the other States will now make a special effort to reexamine all the bridges in those states so maybe this won't happen again. :(

On another issue, I heard some talk yesterday on a news report regarding Laser Printers. Anyone have one of those? The news reports were saying that it has been found that Laser Printers emit some kind of toxic cloud that could be dangerous to people using them. They are not quite sure how much of a percentage may be released, etc., as the studies or reports have not returned yet but it is something to think about and keep in mind. :hmm:

Opinions or comments?

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby The $ Avenger » Thu Aug 2, '07, 11:31 pm

Imagine the news media presenting life as nothing but death and destruction. Tragedies are awful, but the news would have you believe that they are the norm, instead of the exception.

The laser printer story sounds like the environmentalists are at it again. When will people realize that that movement isn't interested in cleaning up the air or other forms of pollution, but just wants the destruction of ALL technology. Al Gore wrote in his book, Earth in the Balance, that the choice between saving a human life or a tree was a difficult choice. Draw your own conclusions from a quote of that kind. I don't want to go back to living in the jungle; I'll keep my printer.
"Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit." Vyse, Skies of Arcadia Legends.
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 7

Postby Atolm » Fri Aug 3, '07, 12:32 am

A friend of mine have relatives living there, and they use that bridge to get to work. Thankfully they are okay.

In regards to the laser printer thing.. I do not know... It sort of reminds me of the Teflon debate. Basically any non-stick cookware when burning can release a toxic gas into the air. The debate is whether there is enough gas to harm a human. What the makers of Teflon do not acknowledge is though, the countless number of death Teflon has towards birds (birds have weak respiratory systems and even simple things like incense or scented candles can kill them).
A Parrot lives with us, and even though he is the spunky brat bird, there are no Teflon products at all in this home for such reasons. We like our brat bird.
I think I'll fence sit on this one.

As for the environment, Gore's quote has sense. It is a ugly quote, but trees are here for a reason other than to make things nice and shady. :D
It is possible to have great technology and still be nice to the environment, but expensive too. I would really like to have the home solar powered, but gosh installation is too expensive at the moment.
Atolm
Guardian
Guardian

Postby Thoul » Fri Aug 3, '07, 1:47 am

It's a terrible thing that happened with the bridge. I don't know anyone in the area, but I feel for anyone who does. I've heard that the bridge evaluation process is going to be reviewed to see if this kind of thing can be prevented in the future.

I'm surprised there haven't been more collapses like this; there are a lot of very old bridges around.

Imagine the news media presenting life as nothing but death and destruction. Tragedies are awful, but the news would have you believe that they are the norm, instead of the exception.

I agree that the media does have a tendency to focus on horrible events more than good news, but it's not like they're making all this stuff up. There are terrible tragedies somewhere in the world almost everyday.

On the printer thing... well, I suppose it's possible. It sounds like something that will require a lot of study.

In a perfect world, all technology would be environmentally friendly... but that will never happen in our world. People are too reliant on it and wouldn't know what to do without it. :dizzy:
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

PreviousNext

Return to Current Events