Current Events - News Of The Day

Chat about things happening around the world.

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Wed Aug 22, '07, 11:06 pm

Well, it looks like the major news events of this day include the weather and related occurrences.

The Hurricane/Storm still seems to be a problem for areas around Mexico, etc. I haven't heard all that much about it today and don't know if it is still going to be a problem for those folks in Texas, or not.

Has anyone seen all the major flooding that is happening in parts of Ohio? People were swimming down the major streets in one city, the water was so high there. All this reminds me of some of the pictures after Katrina. I don't think it is quite that bad in Ohio, but still it is going to take awhile for this area to dry out.

Hope all our members here are safe and dry wherever you are!
Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby The $ Avenger » Thu Aug 23, '07, 12:23 am

Dean evidently plowed straight into Mexico, weakening substantially after crossing the Yucatan. I always keep an eye on the tropical weather because my brother lives in Houston about 10 minutes from the water.
"Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit." Vyse, Skies of Arcadia Legends.
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 7

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Mon Aug 27, '07, 5:20 am

Not much news of the day for today that I have heard. There was something about them drilling a 7th hole at the mine in Utah, and sending some type of a robot down to look the area around and see if it can spot the trapped miners or anything helpful. I don't know what the results of the 6th hole turned out to be but evidently it wasn't anything good. My heart goes out to the families. :cry:
Silver_Surfer1

Postby Tsunami » Mon Aug 27, '07, 9:37 pm

Eh... Call me pessimistic, but do you think that any of the miners are still alive? Sad to think about. :(
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Tue Aug 28, '07, 6:18 pm

No, personally, I really do not think any of the miners are alive at this point.

However, I would not rule the possibility out that some of them are alive either, and would hope if that is the case, that they can be rescued somehow before it is too late. Death by either way, the cave-in or by being stranded there in the mine, would be a horrible way to die. Their families have to be holding onto a slim hope at this point and time - it's been weeks already since the cave in.

To me, it seems that if any of them were alive, there would have been some kind of noises or communication sounds heard from them somehow or other with all these holes that have been drilled, etc.

From the news today, it looks like another set back in Utah as rain there today has put the rescue efforts on hold, including the 7th hole being drilled. :cry:
Silver_Surfer1

Postby Thoul » Wed Aug 29, '07, 3:19 am

I don't think there is anyway they could still be alive after all this time. I'll really be surprised if they are ever found at all, given the current progress.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sun Sep 2, '07, 9:34 pm

I heard yesterday they have officially called off the search for the miners. There has been no sight or sound from any of them in any of the holes drilled, etc.

After all this time, the families must still be in turmoil. Losing a family member is hard, but this way was especially tragic. They will always wonder what their loved ones went through in their final hours alive - did they leave a note behind with messages to family members - did they suffer - did they wait for someone to come rescue them - did they survive the first collapse or die then or what. We will probably never know. :cry:

Another quick remark on a news item of a day or so ago. The tenth anniversary of Princess Diana's death was commemorated by her family and friends and the service televised. I watched it. I also remember watching her funeral ten years ago. It was a very sad loss. Prince Harry's remarks at the memorial service were really touching, and right on the money. Diana would be proud of her two sons, I think.
Silver_Surfer1

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Thu Sep 6, '07, 3:22 am

Microwave popcorn in the news today as the makers of Orville Redenbacker and Act II are changing some of the ingredients in their snack due to possible dangers and ties to certain types of cancer, etc., I think, according to some news reports. :o

Also an airplane flew over several US cities carrying a couple (4 or so) nuclear weapons, I heard. They weren't armed. Still, that sounds scary.

More recalls on toys from China - this time more Barbie toys.
Silver_Surfer1

Postby Tsunami » Thu Sep 6, '07, 3:51 am

Secret_Surfer wrote:More recalls on toys from China - this time more Barbie toys.

Okay, that's scary stuff. Seriously, how many recalls have there been for things that were produced in China? Barbie dolls of all things, sheesh... :sweat:
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Thu Sep 6, '07, 1:55 pm

Tsunami wrote:Okay, that's scary stuff. Seriously, how many recalls have there been for things that were produced in China? Barbie dolls of all things, sheesh... :sweat:

Good point, Tsunami! The list of recalled products produced in China seems to be growing larger and larger every day. It makes me wonder how long this has been going on unnoticed, and how long people have been in possible danger from these contaminated products, etc. I'm sure you can probably find a list of all the product recalls somewhere online, especially if any more items are added to the list.
Silver_Surfer1

PreviousNext

Return to Current Events