Current Events - News Of The Day

Chat about things happening around the world.

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Tue Aug 14, '07, 10:43 pm

Some interesting news of Today, Tuesday, August 14th- is the big [/b]Toy recall by Mattel and Fisher Price, of products from China which may have lead paint and other problems. Also another recall of toothpaste from China also.

Here's a link to a list of the Toy Recall:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,293211,00.html
Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Thoul » Wed Aug 15, '07, 1:08 am

You're right, Thoul! More problems with the space shuttle. I'm not surprised due to the age of these shuttles. They really should get new ones or find some other way to travel, etc.

Yeah, they're what, 30 years old now? It's time for some new transportation there.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Fri Aug 17, '07, 1:51 am

Sad news today with the earthquake in Peru and so much loss of life there. :(

Also, several people in Memphis, Tn. have died due to heat related causes today as the temps have been well over 100 degrees there. Many people are in Memphis this week to remember and attend the Elvis memorial festivities, etc. in relation to the 30th anniversary of his death.

And, it looks like Texas is in for one heck of a storm/hurricane coming that way. Stay tuned for more on this later.
Silver_Surfer1

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Fri Aug 17, '07, 4:36 pm

Very sad news in Utah last night regarding the mining accident. Three of the rescue workers were killed while trying to rescue the six miners that were originally trapped. There was a bump that caved in some of the mine on the rescue workers, I think. Actually from what I saw on tv, there were several of these "bumps" throughout the day yesterday. It is a very dangerous rescue effort, and now, even more tragic than before. It is up in the air right now whether state and federal agencies will allow this resuce effort to continue, or not!

Sympathy and condolences go out to all the families affected in this mining tragedy! :cry: :cry: :cry:
Silver_Surfer1

Postby Atolm » Fri Aug 17, '07, 11:20 pm

Oh my... That is horrible news to hear. =/
Atolm
Guardian
Guardian

Achievements: 27

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sat Aug 18, '07, 3:44 pm

Much of the news today in the States is centering on a major storm / hurricane that may reach the States (probably somewhere around Texas, etc.) by the middle of this coming week. Folks have already been told to prepare and get ready for this one. Hope everyone stays safe.

No news so far today on the trapped miners in Utah. :(
Silver_Surfer1

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sun Aug 19, '07, 6:49 pm

I saw on the news this morning where the fourth hole that was being drilled in Utah to reach the miners has been completed, but there was no sign of the miners. :cry: I don't know what they are going to do now. :bang:

Sad news in other parts of the world regarding miners also, as there has been a bad mining accident with over 100 miners trapped. I can't remember if it was in China or Japan. Let's remember these folks in good thoughts and prayer also and hope they reach safety.
Silver_Surfer1

Postby The $ Avenger » Mon Aug 20, '07, 12:39 am

Divine Dragon wrote:Is it really so difficult to get it right? :?

I mean, I know they use the phrase "It's not rocket science" for things that are easy.. but .. uh.. we've done enough launches now... surely..
The dang things are falling apart; they weren't even supposed to be in commission anymore.

Secret_Surfer wrote:Some interesting news of Today, Tuesday, August 14th- is the big [/b]Toy recall by Mattel and Fisher Price, of products from China which may have lead paint and other problems. Also another recall of toothpaste from China also.

Here's a link to a list of the Toy Recall:[/b]

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,293211,00.html
Echoes of my previous post on a free vs. controlled economy...

The miners... it's awful, but those dangers go with the job. That's why they get paid what they do. High risk = high reward. There's bound to be some accidents; just greater in degree of extent with dynamite underground, just like a plane crash or a submarine wreck. It's definitely tragic when it happens.
"Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit." Vyse, Skies of Arcadia Legends.
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 7

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Mon Aug 20, '07, 7:26 pm

More recalls on products from China in the news today. New Zealand is recalling some clothes imported from China because of various dangers, etc.

What is going on here with China? All these defected products need to be investigated and something done about this. :pan:
Silver_Surfer1

Postby Thoul » Mon Aug 20, '07, 9:34 pm

That's what happens when companies try to cut corners. They went to China for cheap labor and cheap parts. Now those cheap parts are turning out to also be poor quality and that will cost them more in the long run. Some people have to learn the hard way that it doesn't pay to cut corners.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

PreviousNext

Return to Current Events