Current Events - News Of The Day

Chat about things happening around the world.

Re: Current Events - News Of The Day

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sat Jul 21, '07, 12:19 am

Hey, here's another topic that is in the news a lot today. Has anyone heard all the hoopla about the Atlanta Falcons football player who is accused of being connected to dog fighting? I think his name is Michael Vick. Wow, this is causing a lot of headaches for the Atlanta Falcons, the State Of Georgia, and for the player himself. I certainly don't condone dog fighting in any way, shape, or form. I am sort of tired of hearing about this already though. Many people are ready to condemn the man when I don't believe he has even been found guilty of the crime as yet. Anyone have any thoughts or opinions to share on this subject? :eyebrow:

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Atolm » Sat Jul 21, '07, 1:54 am

From what I understand, he had a sort of history dealing with dog fighting/cruelty. I had actually forgotten about this until you brought it up.
Dog fighting really does upset me. Having worked with animals most of my life, I can honestly say I have never had a problem with the Breed most associated with dog fighting, the Pit bull. It is a breed of dog that I would really like to have, but third party insurances, Strict Apartment rules and laws makes it difficult for me to have one.

Anyways, I can understand the headache from all of this. It deals with animal cruelty, and more so, perhaps since he is a celebrity athlete he should not receive special treatment.

I guess I am on the innocent until proven guilty stance on this one.
Dark Force: This is the best chocolate cupcake EVAR! *stuffs face*
Atolm
Guardian
Guardian

Achievements: 27

Postby Thoul » Sat Jul 21, '07, 2:23 am

I don't like dogs, but I wouldn't wish the things done to them in fights and training for fights on any person or animal. That's some really nasty stuff.

As for this Vick guy, I don't see how he could possibly be innocent in this. I remember when the story first broke and it was reported that a bunch of equipment related to dog fights was found at his house. I think he probably had to have some idea of what was happening there.

But, there's always innocent until proven guilty. Maybe he really wasn't involved. That's something for the courts to decide. It's not right for anyone to drag the name of the football team or the state they call home through the mud, however. They had nothing to do with this.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Divine Dragon » Sat Jul 21, '07, 7:19 am

<w< >w>

New news of the day! Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows!

All read on my end :3 I loved every minute.. Took me... six hours and fifteen minutes. Not that I rushed anyway..
Divine Dragon
Cyborg
Cyborg

Achievements: 20

Postby Atolm » Sat Jul 21, '07, 8:01 am

I am still waiting for my copy to arrive via Amazon. Kinda sad That I have to read it to avoid spoilers on the net.
Six hours though? Yipes, that would hurt y head quick. Audio books have spoiled me. :o
After this book, the next one I eagerly await for is George R.R Martin's "Dance of Dragons."
Dark Force: This is the best chocolate cupcake EVAR! *stuffs face*
Atolm
Guardian
Guardian

Achievements: 27

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sat Jul 21, '07, 8:43 pm

Wow, that is some mighty fast reading, Divine Dragon! :) Glad you liked the book! I haven't read it yet.

Do all you Harry Potter fans wish there was another book coming out one day, or are you relieved that the saga may be over?

Just wondering, is there anyway the story can be revived or kept going. I'm kind of skeptical when things are supposed to have ended and then find a few years later, they return somehow. As popular as this series of books (films, etc.) seems to have been, I find it hard to believe it is really truly and finally over. :yaknow:

Silver_Surfer1

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Mon Jul 23, '07, 12:46 am

Heard on today's news that Tammy Faye Bakker Messenner (former evangelist with the PTL and Heritage USA Ministries) has died from colon cancer. I don't know if anyone here knows of her or has heard of her in the news or entertainment field (she was in one of those reality tv shows, I think) but she was an unforgettable lady in many ways. Condolences go out to her family on her passing. Hopefully, she is now at home with her Lord and at rest and peace. :(

Silver_Surfer1

Postby Thoul » Tue Jul 24, '07, 2:44 am

Jumping back to Harry Potter for a minute, I've heard that the story is wrapped up, but it sounded like there were a lot of questions left unanswered. I imagine the author gave herself room to pick it up again later if she wants.

All read on my end :3 I loved every minute.. Took me... six hours and fifteen minutes. Not that I rushed anyway..

Speaking of rushing, I saw someone on the TV news that claimed to finish it in 3 hours. :o

As for Messenner, I feel for her family. I typically am not especially fond of TV evangelists, but it's always hard to lose a family member.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Divine Dragon » Tue Jul 24, '07, 3:04 am

Thoul wrote:Jumping back to Harry Potter for a minute, I've heard that the story is wrapped up, but it sounded like there were a lot of questions left unanswered. I imagine the author gave herself room to pick it up again later if she wants.

Speaking of rushing, I saw someone on the TV news that claimed to finish it in 3 hours. :o

As for Messenner, I feel for her family. I typically am not especially fond of TV evangelists, but it's always hard to lose a family member.
Well.. I guess there are still a few questions unanswered.. like.. did the Death Eaters go down without a fight after Voldemort's death? I can't imagine they would.. :? And.. stuff like who's the new minister.. do they still use Dementors..

I admit, I'd have liked some more Ginny/Harry action..

3 hours, haha, fair enough :D
Divine Dragon
Cyborg
Cyborg

Achievements: 20

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Tue Jul 24, '07, 4:17 am

Divine Dragon wrote:Well.. I guess there are still a few questions unanswered..

That's what bugs me about something ending. If there are questions that are still unanswered, why end it that way? To do a sequel later on, or just keep people guessing? If it is ending, everything should be solved or put to the light. Then again, sometimes leaving you with a little mystery or something to wonder on, may not be all bad. :hmm:

Also, here's another question for those of you that read this book in so short a time. Will you read it again later, but slower to more fully absorb everything in the book? If I like a book, I may read it several times and each time it seems I notice something different that stands out to me. Anyone else like that?

One final note regarding Harry Potter - I saw on the Entertainment Tonight news program where today is the Birthday of the guy that played Harry Potter in the movies. He is 18 today. HAPPY BIRTHDAY wishes to him. :cake:
Silver_Surfer1

PreviousNext

Return to Current Events