What books are you reading now?

Converse about your favorite literature and reading in this study.

Re: What books are you reading now?

Postby myau56 » Mon Mar 26, '12, 12:44 pm

About the Lord of the Rings, it's alsop one of my favourite books ! I've never seen this thread before and that's a good way to share all our readings ! The Lord of the Rings, I've read it in french (of course) and bought the UK book but just started to read it (a bit hard but very interesting !).

At the moment, I'm reading not really a book but a manual of "English literature", which is really interesting !
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby Flames of Yagami » Wed Apr 4, '12, 2:11 am

I'm not really reading anything totally fascinating right now, but I did buy a book about the history of Batman by Les Daniels that I plan to start reading sometime this week.
Flames of Yagami
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 212

Postby Bragatyr » Sun Dec 23, '12, 12:47 am

Just thought I would randomly update my reading. I'm just about finished with Peace, by Gene Wolfe, and I'm also reading Exodus in Hebrew, which is quite interesting. I just finished with a book of Muslim prayers called Dala'il al-Khayrat, which was amazing.
Bragatyr
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 65

Postby augmentedfourth » Fri Jan 18, '13, 11:27 pm

I recently finished reading two books (yay Christmas gift cards!):

I'd heard good things about Gone Girl, which has been on the NYT best-sellers list for a while. I couldn't put it down, I tore through it in about two days. I HAD to know what happened next, darn it! I felt a little bit let down by the ending, I'll admit, but the first 98% of the book was amazing. I highly recommend it!

I also read Lolita, as I'd never read it before. I wasn't crazy about it, though it wasn't due to the questionable subject material. The prose felt overly flowery and just wasn't my preferred style. I almost gave up reading it somewhere in the middle when it didn't feel like a lot was happening, but I stuck it out. Mainly just to say I finished it. *shrug*
augmentedfourth
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 256

Postby Bragatyr » Fri Jan 18, '13, 11:52 pm

I actually felt the same way about Lolita. Nabokov's a great writer, in terms of his ability with language, but I felt like the style was just over the top, and yeah, the overall structure of the book just wasn't really interesting. There's an interesting amount of evasion the narrator goes through, to the point where I was openly questioning just about everything about his version of events, and I always like an unreliable narrator, but I felt like I was having to wade through too much nonsense to get to the real gist of the book.
Bragatyr
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 65

Postby Rylen » Sat Jan 19, '13, 1:55 am

About to start on the Elves of Cintra by Terry Brooks. Slowly working my way though Genesis of Shannara. This was after finishing Word and Void.
Rylen
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 49

Postby R-90-2 » Sat Jan 19, '13, 5:04 pm

Going to start on my annual re-read of Romance of the Three Kingdoms after I finally finish up Journey to the West. Gigantic Chinese novels FTW.
Do not say: How is it that former times were better than these? For it is not out of wisdom that you ask about this. Ecclesiastes 7:10
ImageImageImageImage
R-90-2
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 78

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sun Jan 20, '13, 3:01 am

Well, I keep hearing a lot about Terry Brooks and his books and since I have not read even one book by him, I recently began with his first book "The Sword Of Shannara". Only a few chapters in so far but it sounds an awful lot like "Lord Of The Rings" to me. Interesting so far and we'll see how it goes, and if I like it, and if I continue on with the saga after this first book.

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Thoul » Sun Jan 20, '13, 3:49 am

Yeah, I always thought The Sword of Shannara borrowed a few too many concepts from LotR. Fortunately, only that one book in the series tends to have that many parallels to Tolkien's writing. I always say try the second one as well, because that's when Brooks really started to come into his own style of storytelling.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Aeroprism » Sun Jan 20, '13, 5:49 pm

For the last few months, I have been slowly progressing through the "A song of Ice and fire" series (widely known as: A Game of Thrones). I'm nearing the end of the fourth book now. Quite frankly, it's interesting enough to keep me going but I find that the author had been greatly overrated. The list of reasons his work keeps me interested is at least as long as the list of things that annoy me about how G.R.R Martin writes.

The fact that English is my second language doesn't help, those aren't the easiest books to read.

But as I said: it's entertaining enough to go on.
Last edited by Aeroprism on Sun Jan 20, '13, 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aeroprism
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 95

PreviousNext

Return to Leapin' Library