What books are you reading now?

Converse about your favorite literature and reading in this study.

Re: What books are you reading now?

Postby Tanith » Wed Apr 28, '10, 10:24 pm

I've decided to revisit the Hyperion Cantos series by Dan Simmons. I finished the first book several years ago, but was disappointed that it was 99.99999% plot and character development. It was enough to turn me off from reading the rest of the series, but recently I've gone back and reread the first book. I just finished The Fall of Hyperion and am about to start Endymion.

It's a good series, but ironically what turned me off about the first book, the focus on character development, is what Simmons is best at writing.
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 204

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Thu Apr 29, '10, 3:37 pm

I just finished reading "The Last Day Of My Life" by Jim Moret. He was a former anchor on CNN's "Showbiz Today" program, etc., and he is also a son of former Teen Idol singer/actor James Darrin.

Also just finished reading "In Every Pew Sits A Broken Heart" by Ruth Graham, daughter of Evangelist Rev. Billy Graham.

Currently I'm reading "Daily Readings from 'Become A Better You'" by Joel Osteen.

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sat May 15, '10, 5:35 pm

Currently reading "Wake-Up Calls" by Joan Lunden.

Silver_Surfer1

Postby Atlinsmere » Sat May 15, '10, 9:27 pm

Currently reading "The Summoner" By Gail. Z. Martin, it's the first book in the series I'm reading. I've already read it but it's been a long time since I read it and I want to read book two but I barely remembered what happened.
A simple text based signature? That's impossible!
Atlinsmere

Achievements: 392

Postby Atlinsmere » Fri May 21, '10, 7:26 pm

Well I just finished reading "The Summoner" and have started on the second book "The Blood King" today.
A simple text based signature? That's impossible!
Atlinsmere

Achievements: 392

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Mon Jun 14, '10, 11:31 pm

Currently reading "The Time Of My Life" by the late actor Patrick Swayze, and his wife, Lisa Niemi. Beautiful picture of the two of them with happy smiling faces on the cover.

Silver_Surfer1

Postby OhNoHumans » Fri Jun 18, '10, 1:30 pm

I have quite a few books in my collection I have yet to read, but for now I've checked out Akutagawa Ryunosuke's "Rashomon and Other Stories" (Manga artist Tatsumi Yoshihiro did the cover art, based on that first tale about the Heian gate). I had to recheck it, but I began the last section of stories, so I will probably take it back soon.

It's hard to say what my favourite stories are so far, but maybe Hell Screen and Green Onions.

I saw Yoshi mention the Harry Potter books earlier, so I might as well say I don't think I've even finished the third book. If I want to read them all I might have to start over on the first two books. :worried:
"...Please don't look at me that way. It's not nice."
OhNoHumans
Shopkeeper
Shopkeeper

Achievements: 9

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Fri Jun 25, '10, 11:52 pm

Checked out a new book today at the Library to read. The name of it is "Michael Jackson, The Magic, The Madness, The Whole Story" by J. Randy Taraborrelli. It's a big, thick book. Anyway, since today was the one year anniversary of MJ's death, it seemed kind of appropriate.

Silver_Surfer1

Postby H-Man » Sun Jul 11, '10, 7:59 pm

I finished reading Ivanhoe by Walter Scott yesterday. The title character spends so much of the book offstage that I thought the book was a parody. The character of Rebecca the Jewess was just awesome and I had a crush on her throughout the book. Ivanhoe should've married her and not Rowena. Oh, and what a way to cheat us out of a rousing climax, Scott.
*H-Man as Chaz, looks at Rika, aka Paula* Chaz-Man- "Hey, I've been wandering around Motavia for quite a while with you now. It says in that weird blue box up there that one more battle with a sandworm and we can level up to husband and wife!"

Image Fringes Official Monocled Gentleman.

Image MADE A NEW FATE Achievement.
H-Man
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 110

Postby H-Man » Mon Jul 12, '10, 10:06 pm

Been reading a lot of Phantasy Star III fanfics here and at Hughes' website. Good stuff.
*H-Man as Chaz, looks at Rika, aka Paula* Chaz-Man- "Hey, I've been wandering around Motavia for quite a while with you now. It says in that weird blue box up there that one more battle with a sandworm and we can level up to husband and wife!"

Image Fringes Official Monocled Gentleman.

Image MADE A NEW FATE Achievement.
H-Man
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 110

PreviousNext

Return to Leapin' Library