What books are you reading now?

Converse about your favorite literature and reading in this study.

Re: What books are you reading now?

Postby H-Man » Wed Jan 12, '11, 1:27 pm

I started reading The Dark is Rising by Susan Cooper last night. Man, she doesn't really wait to plunge us into the conflict.
*H-Man as Chaz, looks at Rika, aka Paula* Chaz-Man- "Hey, I've been wandering around Motavia for quite a while with you now. It says in that weird blue box up there that one more battle with a sandworm and we can level up to husband and wife!"

Image Fringes Official Monocled Gentleman.

Image MADE A NEW FATE Achievement.
H-Man
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 110

Postby Waterfaller » Wed Feb 2, '11, 12:48 am

H-Man wrote:I started reading The Dark is Rising by Susan Cooper last night. Man, she doesn't really wait to plunge us into the conflict.

Hey cool, I have that series! I opted to read something else first though...

Reading When True Night Falls, by C.S. Friedman, the second book of the Coldfire Trilogy.
Waterfaller
Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Achievements: 27

Postby Rossamund » Mon May 23, '11, 8:46 am

I'm currently reading Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring. Quite late, I know, but it took me this long to actually get interested in it. As for other series' that I'm in the middle of: I read Silverwing, Sunwing, Firewing, and Darkwing and am now waiting for a 5th, if there is ever to be one. I've read Eragon, Eldest, and Brisingr, and am now waiting to get the next one. I've also read Monster Blood Tattoo Foundling and Lamplighter, and am waiting to get Factotum. I've read the whole Great Tree of Avalon series as well, and I doubt there will be another one in that series.
Rossamund
Newcomer
Newcomer

Achievements: 6

Postby Thoul » Tue May 24, '11, 6:18 am

Welcome to the community, Rossamund! How are you enjoying Fellowship so far?
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Bragatyr » Fri May 27, '11, 4:04 pm

I would actually like to know what you think of Fellowship, too, Rossamund. The Lord of the Rings is probably my favorite book of all time (neck and neck with Book of the New Sun).

I just finished reading Ubik, by Philip K. Dick (which was amazing) and have started on China Mieville's Embassytown.
Bragatyr
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 65

Postby Wolf Bird » Thu Jun 16, '11, 3:13 pm

Yesterday I picked up three books: Demon Haunted World by Carl Sagan, Why People Believe Weird Things, and The Believing Brain, both by Michael Shermer. I started reading Why People Believe Weird Things last night. It's going to be an awesome read, I can tell already.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Thoul » Thu Jun 16, '11, 8:44 pm

That title leaves me curious. What are some of the weird things it uses as examples?
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Wolf Bird » Fri Jun 17, '11, 2:46 am

Well, I only just started it. I won't list too much because some of these things are highly controversial and I don't want to derail this thread. But here's a list of some of the stuff that at least in this community, are probably not too controversial.

-Holocaust Denial
-"Witch Hunts", if you will (like Salem witch trials, McCarthyism in the 50s, etc.)
-Conspiracy theories
-Pseudoscience (which encompasses a lot of different things)
-The paranormal (also a lot of different things)

Once I've read more I can give more detail.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Wed Jul 6, '11, 11:02 pm

Lately I've been reading several books to help me deal with the recent death of my beloved kitty. It may sound silly to some, but her death has really shaken me up and left a void in my life and has left me fighting periods of depression, etc. I realized I could use some help dealing with it all so I've been reading these books below, and they have been a great comfort.

"Goodbye, friend ...Healing Wisdom for anyone who has ever lost a pet" by Gary Kowalski.

"Coping With Sorrow...on the loss of your pet" by Moira Anderson.

"Cold Noses at the Pearly Gates ...a book of hope for those who have lost a pet" by Gary Kurz.

"Will I See Fido In Heaven" by Mary Buddemeyer-Porter.

Also, continuing with my love for biographies, etc., I just finished reading another book by actress Betty White called "If You Ask Me...and of course you won't". And I'm currently reading a new biography by the actor/comedian who played the popular tv character named "rob petrie"and the title of his new book is "My Lucky Life In And Out Of Show Business".
Palm Sunday ~ March 24, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Mon Mar 26, '12, 12:52 am

Currently I am reading "Worth Fighting For" by Lisa Niemi Swayze.

Lisa is the widow of actor Patrick Swayze ("Red Dawn", "Ghost", "North & South", etc.). In the book Lisa talks about finding out about Patrick's illness and what they went through and her role as a caregiver, supporter, wife, during the time of Patrick's illness and death.

I'm only a couple of chapters into the book so far but it is very interesting, although so sad to read as Patrick is given this diagnosis for which there seems to be no cure. I would highly recommend the book however. Lisa is a terrific writer. I also enjoyed reading the book she and Patrick wrote together before his death, "The Time Of My Life".
Palm Sunday ~ March 24, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

PreviousNext

Return to Leapin' Library