What books are you reading now?

Converse about your favorite literature and reading in this study.

Re: What books are you reading now?

Postby Bragatyr » Sun Jul 28, '13, 8:32 pm

I always enjoy doing that. There's so much good stuff in the public domain. I mostly use it to find old, obscure, out of print religious texts and things like that.
Bragatyr
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 65

Postby Wolf Bird » Mon Jul 29, '13, 2:51 am

Amazon actually has a TON of old public domain books, documents, transcribed speeches and other such things available for free on kindle. Apparently done by volunteers. I've downloaded a lot of philosophy material that way. Loving the work by Robert G. Ingersoll.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Bragatyr » Mon Jul 29, '13, 11:05 pm

Speaking of obscure religious stuff, I'm reading A Discourse on Abbaton right now. You can't find any crazier titles anywhere in the world.
Bragatyr
Sage
Sage

Postby Rylen » Wed Jul 31, '13, 6:28 pm

I've been reading some short stories released by Terry Brooks that are set in the Shannara story line in E-Format. (For me, kindle). So far three stories have been released. So far all three focus on a main character. Story 1 features Alanon and is a prelude to Sword. Story 2: features Garret Jax (the Weapons Master) and takes place sometime before Wishsong. Story 3 takes place a year after the events in Sword.

Really happy that Brooks and his publisher have been using the e-format for short works.
Rylen
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 49

Postby augmentedfourth » Sun Aug 4, '13, 2:52 am

I read the first book of the Outlander series while on vacation, and I can't make up my mind about it. It's not in my favorite genre by far (historical fiction is not my thing, and I didn't know what it was before picking it up, I'd just heard good things), and it was looooooooong. That said, there were parts I really liked. I'm trying to decide if I want to read the rest of the series or not (each installment being equally looooooooooong), especially since a miniseries was just ordered and will be aired on a channel we don't get. :wink:
augmentedfourth
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 256

Postby Wolf Bird » Sat Sep 21, '13, 10:45 pm

I go to the local library a lot to do most of my school work. While I was there yesterday, I spent a little time just browsing around and I found a book called The Complete Headbanging History of Heavy Metal. Wasn't going to walk out without checking that out. I'm going to start it tonight after I get through a bit of school reading.
Last edited by Wolf Bird on Sat Sep 21, '13, 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Postby Wolf Bird » Wed Jan 1, '14, 2:29 pm

Break is a good time for reading. I've so far finished Slaughterhouse Five and The World Without Us. Yesterday I started The Andromeda Strain and for non-fiction, The World is Blue.
Last edited by Wolf Bird on Wed Jan 1, '14, 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wolf Bird

Postby Bragatyr » Wed Jan 1, '14, 6:28 pm

I just started on Ezekiel, so I'm still trekking with the Old Testament. Also recently read Gene Wolfe's new book, The Land Across, which was very fun.
Bragatyr
Sage
Sage

Postby augmentedfourth » Wed Jan 1, '14, 11:50 pm

I also finally got a chance to do some reading over the holidays. I just finished the first in the Divergent series - it was pretty good, though not spectacular. I can see how some comparisons have been made with The Hunger Games, but though the plots (obviously) weren't exactly the same, I thought the writing in THG was better. I'll likely read the rest of the series, but I'm not feeling the "OMG I HAVE TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS NEXT" urge right this second.
augmentedfourth
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 256

Postby Wolf Bird » Wed Jan 8, '14, 1:18 pm

Break has been a great time for reading. I've finished four books in the last 2 1/2 weeks. The latest one I finished is The Andromeda Strain, and over the weekend I finished The World is Blue. Next up is Merchants of Doubt, which I borrowed from the library yesterday on my brother's recommendation, and Vonnegut's Cat's Cradle. I'm trying to have one non-fiction book and one novel going at once.
Last edited by Wolf Bird on Wed Jan 8, '14, 1:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wolf Bird

PreviousNext

Return to Leapin' Library