What books are you reading now?

Converse about your favorite literature and reading in this study.

Re: What books are you reading now?

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Wed Apr 2, '14, 7:01 pm

Finally finished reading "The First King Of Shannara" on yesterday, I think it was, in my continuing effort to completely read all the Shannara series by Terry Brooks, etc. So far I have read, "The Sword Of Shannara", "The Elfstones of Shannara", "The Wishsong of Shannara" in the original triology, and " The Scions of Shannara", "The Druid of Shannara",
"The Elf Queen of Shannara", "The Talismans of Shannara" in the Heritage of Shannara triology, and maybe a few others thrown in there that I can't recall right now.

Next, I will read either "The Voyage of The Jerle Shannara: Ilse Witch" or "Running With The Demon". A Friend said they did not much like the second book but I may give it a go and see how it strikes me. Either way, these are my next two on the list.

Also, found a very interesting article by author Terry Brooks where he says among other things that he will wrap The Shannara series up for good very soon:

http://www.denofgeek.com/books-comics/t ... nnara-saga

It should be interesting to see what they might possibly do with a movie version of this fascinating series of books.

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Wolf Bird » Thu Apr 10, '14, 4:27 am

Today I finished Rachel Carson's famous book Silent Spring. It has been on my reading list for a long time, but it was a required text for one of my classes, but just call that an excuse. Glad I read it, for sure, and not just because I have to write about it in a week. It basically gave birth to the environmental movement.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Bragatyr » Fri Apr 11, '14, 5:23 pm

I just finished The Anubis Gates, by Tim Powers, it was quite fun, and I'm still reading Ezra-Nehemiah, specifically the Nehemiah part. After that I have I and II Chronicles, and I'm done reading the Hebrew Bible!
Bragatyr
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 65

Postby Flames of Yagami » Mon Apr 21, '14, 10:42 pm

Last night I started reading The Disaster Artist by Greg Sestero. For the most part, it deals with the making of a bizarre movie that Greg acted in, called The Room, along with his friendship with the director, Tommy Wiseau. Not only am I finding the information interesting, but I'm laughing quite a bit at some of the odd situations Sestero and Wiseau got into during production.

It took a long time to actually get a hold of the book, however. I ordered it on Amazon back in March and I had to get a refund because my package never came and the seller didn't have a replacement. Luckily, the copy I bought last week managed to arrive ahead of schedule.
Flames of Yagami
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 212

Postby augmentedfourth » Tue Apr 22, '14, 3:05 pm

I'm about a quarter of the way through I'd Like to Apologize to Every Teacher I Ever Had - back in 2010 or so, Tony Danza (who actually has a bachelor's degree in history education from before he started acting) taught a 10th grade English class in inner city Philadelphia and this is his account from that school year. Some of it seems a little idealistic and crafted to portray him in a good light in certain bits, but as a former teacher, a lot of it is really resonating with me. So far, so good.
augmentedfourth
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 256

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Wed Apr 23, '14, 4:43 pm

Sounds like an interesting book by Tony Danza, augmentedfourth. Thanks for letting us know about that one. I have a book by him which is a cookbook, I think. I might try and find this one to read also. He can be a funny fellow.

I am still reading "The Voyage Of The Jerle Shannara" by Terry Brooks, however, since it was Easter holiday, somehow I've also begun reading "No Wonder They Call Him The Savior" by Max Lucado. Love Max Lucado's books and have read several of them.

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Wolf Bird » Sun Apr 27, '14, 11:24 pm

I started reading Michael Cricthon's Jurassic Park yesterday, as I want to provide some good escape for myself as I approach finals season. I'm already almost halfway through it. I love his style. It also provides a LOT more depth to the story than the movie does (though make no mistake, I love the movie too!)
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Postby Wolf Bird » Tue May 6, '14, 3:29 pm

"War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength."

Can anyone guess what I'm reading now?

Besides oodles and oodles of stuff as I research for my final papers...

Wolf Bird

Postby Bragatyr » Tue May 6, '14, 9:34 pm

Ha ha, a friend of mine was just asking me about George Orwell earlier today, said 1984 was one of the only books he dreaded reading in high school but wound up really enjoying.

I've been meaning to catch up on his other stuff. I know he's a good essayist, but I was disappointed when I went to check out some of Anthony Burgess's other works, since I loved A Clockwork Orange so much. Same with Aldous Huxley, they all wrote 20th century dystopian fiction, but I found some of his other books to be pretty bad. (The Devils of Loudun was really interesting, though, but again I'd consider if more of a a nonfiction book).
Bragatyr
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 65

Postby Hukos » Wed May 7, '14, 12:47 am

When it comes to dystopian future novels, I much prefer Brave New World, myself.
I feel the way you would
Hukos
Android
Android

Achievements: 41

PreviousNext

Return to Leapin' Library