What books are you reading now?

Converse about your favorite literature and reading in this study.

Re: What books are you reading now?

Postby myau56 » Sun Jan 20, '13, 9:46 pm

Actually , I'm reading the novels "Crest of the Stars" (aka Seikai no monshō in japanese)by Hiroyuki Morioka ! Great books ! And the animated series which was created based on the se books is great too ! One of the best in the SCi Fi section ! :fiery:
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby Rylen » Mon Jan 21, '13, 7:12 pm

Brooks writing style gets better as each novel comes out. You have to figure when Sword came out he was a part time writer and more of a lawyer at the time. But once he turned to writing full time his skills have become very sharp. Fun thing about Brooks is in some cases it's better to read the books in the order that they are published rather than the order of the cannon. (case in point is First King. That should always be read after Heritage of Shannara." )
Rylen
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 49

Postby Thoul » Mon Jan 21, '13, 8:40 pm

Oh, that's right. Brooks used to be a lawyer, didn't he? He's been writing fantasy so long that I tend to forget that. Agreed on the reading order, too. Going out of order would tend to spoil plots horribly or leave the reader confused on concepts previously introduced.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Rylen » Tue Jan 22, '13, 7:33 pm

Yeah. It's been fascinating to see how stuff that was suggested or even hinted at in the first three books gets expanded on in the prequels. More so with the linking of Word and Void.
Rylen
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 49

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Mon Mar 11, '13, 1:59 am

Well, I just finished reading "Full Of Heart: My Story of Survival, Strength, and Spirit" by J.R. Martinez (a former solider and actor who used to be on the soap opera "All My Children" and a former winner on the show "Dancing With The Stars").

Currently I'm reading "Winning Balance" by former olympian and also former contestant on "Dancing With The Stars", Shawn Johnson. Also, I'm still continuing my reading of the Terry Brooks books and right now I'm at the beginning of "The Scions Of Shannara". So far all of the other Brooks books have been very interesting. Don't know why I waited so long to read his books.

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Wolf Bird » Tue Mar 12, '13, 10:41 pm

Recently, most of my (non-class) reading has been a rather large variety of books on the humanist philosophy. And then I have a bunch lined up on environmentalism.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Flames of Yagami » Fri Apr 5, '13, 3:01 am

I'm reading the first few issues of The Superior Spider-Man at the moment. At first, I wasn't fond of the plot twist in the final few issues of Amazing Spider-Man, in which Doc Ock becomes Spidey after switching minds with Peter Parker, but the idea has been growing on me since I stared reading this new series; Dan Slott really knows what he is doing :up:
Last edited by Flames of Yagami on Fri Apr 5, '13, 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flames of Yagami
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 212

Postby Bragatyr » Thu Apr 25, '13, 1:44 am

I'm still reading through the Tanakh. I just got started on II Kings, and I really enjoyed I Kings (Solomon is my favorite Biblical figure, by far, so anything with him is awesome). Also reading Brennu-Njals saga, which is pretty fun.

Also, R-90-2, I just saw the Tacitus quote in your sig, which is awesome. Tacitus is one of my favorite authors ever (and probably the best prose stylist ever). The Germania is one of my favorite historical books.
Bragatyr
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 65

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Fri Jul 26, '13, 11:11 pm

I have several books I'm trying to get started reading at the moment but I find myself not in a mood to read much lately. Anyone else feel like that sometimes....you have to get in a certain mood to read?? Anyway, I just finished reading the new book"My Way" by singer Paul Anka (who was born in Canada, by the way). He was an interesting writer and storyteller for this book and it was an interesting book with many stories of his family life and road to fame as a singer/songwriter, etc.

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby tilinelson2 » Sun Jul 28, '13, 1:17 pm

I don't know what to read right now because I have got a Kindle recently and downloaded lots of classics from sites like Project Gutenberg.
A person only sees and hears what he wants to see and hear and disregards the rest.
tilinelson2
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 277

PreviousNext

Return to Leapin' Library