Phantasy Star: BaNL

Remixes and original creations by fans - as games, audio, videos or other forms - shine in this spotlight.

Do you want a darker storyline?

Yes
47%
No
32%
Maybe
21%

Total votes : 19

Re: Phantasy Star: Beneath a New Light

Postby Lyla2284 » Sun May 23, '10, 9:23 am

Rune_Walsh wrote:In my fanfic Chemistry, Alys calls Hahn "Mahlay" and Hahn muses how "tough" Alys is. Did I inspire you at all in this, Lyla?

I have a hard time imagining Alys as a big drinker, but the dialogue is pretty hilarious.

Actually, no RW. Alys had been calling Hahn Mahlay in my game long before I encountered your fan-fics (btw, I've read all 4 chapters at fanfiction.net ;)) and my actual inspiration comes from a guy called DezoPenguin (also at fanfiction.net) and who was known as Darrel Whitney at the phantasy-star.net website years ago. I started reading his fanfics as early as 2003, to be exact, since he really gets Alys' personality better than any other author, though you do a good job as well, RW. :)

And there are plenty of fics by DP than involve Alys and the Guild pub. :D LOL funny. He wrote more than 30 Alys ficcies (she's his favourite video-game character ever), and some involve Rune as well. So yeah, that guy is my actual inspiration. He's actually credited in my game as well. :)

So, enough talk of that. I'm going to show you guys the completed maps of the towns in the game.

Piata

Mile

Zema

Krup

Nalya

Aiedo (took me an age to map this one.)

-Updates:
Branching endings are nearly done now.
Alys' database entry is finally completed. (lvls 1-99, had to enter it manually, it was a right pain in the butt...)
Monster database is completed for the demo.
Finished up some more sprites.

More screenshots:

I don't think I even need to tell you what town this is. The glowing sprite means those chars are knocked out. >< :lol:

Love these two so much...

Hidden cutscene. If you can find this, you will be well rewarded, I promise.

DIE, MECHA DIE!!! *Ahem*

That's all for now. 8)
Lyla2284
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 78

Re: Phantasy Star: BaNL (5 party member avaliability!)

Postby Lyla2284 » Mon May 24, '10, 8:32 am

Updated the first post.
Lyla2284
Numan
Numan

Postby dimon-in-hell » Tue May 25, '10, 1:26 pm

Can I ask U? What kind of scripts change 4 members to 5 ?
No need to worry...
U have such a good live.
dimon-in-hell
Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Achievements: 32

Postby Atlinsmere » Tue May 25, '10, 8:21 pm

Well, I know there are a few different script's out there such as Fomar0153's large party script.What's puzzling me right now is how Lyla will, or if has already, changed MOGs menu to suit five people.
A simple text based signature? That's impossible!
Atlinsmere

Achievements: 392

Postby Tsunami » Tue May 25, '10, 8:27 pm

Unsure what the poll is asking. :p Like, would the fight be at a capped level, or would it be the lowest recommended level? If you set it too high in either case, that would involve a lot of grinding. >.>

Other than that, congrats on the 5 person party! ^_^ I'm happy that you've gotten it working. I know that for awhile it was limited to 4, so this is a great improvement and a step closer to emulating the original.

I do have one question, regarding the Alys/Rune shipping. Will Alys be soft in this with her being romantic with Rune? I mean, I liked Chaz/Rika since they didn't get together until the end and I felt that it wasn't shoved down my throat like a LOT of romances (honestly, it was cute and had some innocence to it, and I really liked that). If something feels forced, I typically don't enjoy it (think FF8, Squall/Rinoa). But I guess what I am getting at is, I've always seen Alys as a strong, independent woman who is more than capable of taking care of herself. Her pursuing a relationship with Rune is fine, but I wouldn't like to see that too early on in the game, y'know? Give the characters a chance to develop and grow individually before introducing that extra element of romance and showing us their chemistry as a couple. Heck, show them getting together at the end and I'd be content with that for your game's canon.

I guess I liked that about PSIV... It left room for one to wonder if something had happened between them prior to when the game takes place, leaves some mystery between them and as to what extent their relationship was/is. I kinda viewed them as "old friends with feelings for each other who never really got together due to circumstances we don't know" more than "past lovers", but that's just me. :p Personally speaking, I'd think that if they were lovers at some point that it would be very awkward to even be fighting side-by-side, especially if they broke it off for one reason or another. If the lingering feelings existed, then I can see the love blossoming between them, in a manner of speaking.

And um. Does Chaz still die in this to keep Alys in the lead? >.>
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby Lyla2284 » Wed May 26, '10, 1:09 pm

I think that should answer your question Atlin. I'm using a different script that incidentally uses Fomar's large party script, yet one that is still compatible with the Mog menus. I really love this new look.

Everything had to be re-designed, but as they say, less is definitely more! :D

Tsu, to answer your first question, what I'm basically asking is how high do you want the characters to be for the final boss. Note that there are Easter eggs if you get the chars to high levels in here. ;)

As for Alys and Rune, yes, they were involved romantically in the past, and as the events unfold in the game, that old spark between them slowly starts to re-ignite, and they do, of course, end up together in the end... :) And I do agree with you that Alys is a strong, independant woman who was never clingy or needy. I'm under the illusion that she may be bottling up her true feelings after what Rune did to her, which is explained in the game, and for the most part, she remains perfectly neutral most of the time, throwing out the occasional sarcastic comment or two, but she never shows any real strong emotions. Up until chapter 10, at least....

As for the last question, my lips remain sealed. 8)

As for what I'm busy with now.

- Started to work on Demi's sprite. Her battler sheet is already done.
- Going to extend the game a bit more so Demi can have a little more involvement in the game. Note that up until this point I haven't included the Ladea Tower or Plate System yet. More mapping for me.... -_- Does anyone have a sprite rip of the Tower? If you do, please let me know, because I lost all my save games on my Genesis emulator, and I am NOT touching that game again. Or going through all that trouble... I have enough work as it is...

So that's it for now.
Lyla2284
Numan
Numan

Postby Wolf Bird » Wed May 26, '10, 2:44 pm

Yay more Demi involvement! +100 points from me. :D
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Atlinsmere » Wed May 26, '10, 11:38 pm

That's amazing Lyla. If you don't mind me asking, what menu script is that?
A simple text based signature? That's impossible!
Atlinsmere

Achievements: 392

Postby Lyla2284 » Thu May 27, '10, 7:02 pm

That is the Shadow Hearts Covenant Menu by Mac, Atlin. I found it in a very old thread that dated back to April 2008, I think. If you want, I can send you the demo. It supports up to 8 party members. The only bug I found was that when I selected 'Personal' in the menu screen, the game crashes, because it's supposed to bring up a list of all the monsters encountered by the player. Guess I need a beastiary script for that.

Quick updates:

Awwwww! :starry-eyed: Her sprite is super-adorable. You gonna love her, CW! :D

This is the new battle screen. Looks a lot better, if I say so myself. As you can see, there's space for a 5th party member. Ignore the 'Cash' that appears at the bottom. That's from the main menu, obviously. :p

The Machine Center is now complete, as is the first two floors of the Ladea Tower. The tower's design is not based off the original PS4's, as I found the design too darned easy and to find Rune. I'm a real sadist in this game. Though the designs aren't as hard as PS2's. Only later dungeons may be inspired from it. The second last dungeon will be based off Ikuto's design...

Oh, and for the record, just to let you guys know how hard the game is, I got a game over in Birth Valley, on my way to Professor Holt. *evil laugh*. This game is NOT for the faint-hearted. :knockout:

Man, I'm evil. :mrgreen:
Lyla2284
Numan
Numan

Postby Wolf Bird » Thu May 27, '10, 8:22 pm

I can't see the Demi sprite! :cry:
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

PreviousNext

Return to Fan Games, Music, Video & More