Ridiculous Item Of The Day

General discussion of subjects beyond the scope of the other forums.

Re: Ridiculous Item Of The Day

Postby Srijita » Wed Jul 15, '09, 6:01 pm

This selection of sixteen of the World's Dumbest Laws deserves to be on this thread as well.

Of this archaic and comical bunch of regulations, the first example (it's illegal to kiss in front of a church in Boston) is probably one of the more reasonable, since it does at least reflect social etiquette. Unless there is a wedding ceremony involved, there are more appropriate places to make out, right?
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis
Srijita
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 15

Postby Wolf Bird » Wed Jul 15, '09, 11:12 pm

Six is my favorite. I like how it outlaws a simple form of generosity. So is it legal to lend your vacuum cleaner to someone on the other side of the street, or someone who lives two doors away?
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sat Jul 18, '09, 5:45 pm

Whoa, those are some mixed up and weird laws, lol.

I like the one about it being illegal to ride a bicycle without a license in Israel, I think it where that was. Weird. I guess that means that even little kids need a license to ride their bike, if they have one.

Also, the one in Iceland, I think it is, where it is legal for everyone to pratice medicine as long as they have a sign that says quack doctor, or something like that. :rofl:

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." John 3:16
Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sun Sep 13, '09, 8:13 pm

Well, we've all heard the old saying that "you can't take it with you when you go", but here's a fellow that seemed to certainly try and do just that:

http://www.examiner.com/x-2812-Road--Dr ... h-and-guns

Ridiculous, or not, .... you decide!

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." John 3:16
Silver_Surfer1

Postby Thoul » Sun Sep 13, '09, 10:13 pm

The car is a bit strange, but I can understand the idea. It's not too different from the pharaohs of ancient Egypt, who were buried with many of their worldly possessions.

I do have to question the wisdom of this, though. First, the car could be an environmental hazard. I hope it was drained of all the potentially hazardous liquids inside the engine and such before this happened. Second, every crook in the US now knows where to find some free guns if they have a shovel. I imagine there are easier ways to get guns, but someone from the local area will probably dig this guy up and take the weapons. Not to mention the $100.

It's like an open invitation for grave robbing. I mean look at the pharaohs again. How many of them have been left in their graves now?
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Mon Sep 14, '09, 9:21 pm

Good point about this being sort of like the Pharoah's of Egypt, Thoul! I hadn't thought of it like that. Yes, It does sound troublesome with the idea that there might be grave robbers out there somewhere, but I have to admit that the idea is not all that surprising given what we have seen occur in the world during these days and times.

Another thing I thought about is that I'll bet it took about two grave spaces (or more) to bury that big car in. I'll bet that cost a tidy sum too. Once I was reading up on the state legal requirements for burials (sounds kind of gross, I know but there are some interesting points and things to know and consider) and it is amazing what is, and also what is not, legal in regards to burials in different states, etc.

Silver_Surfer1

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Mon Sep 14, '09, 9:25 pm

Another ridiculous story here, I thought. A 107 year old is considering marrying again for the 23th time as she thinks her current marriage may be on the rocks, so to speak:

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id ... _article=1

:roll:

Silver_Surfer1

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Fri Oct 23, '09, 3:30 am

A guy gets a DUI on a motorized La-Z-boy:

http://jalopnik.com/5387667/minnesota-m ... d-la+z+boy

Silver_Surfer1

Postby Wolf Bird » Fri Oct 23, '09, 3:33 am

THAT is one of the funniest things I've seen in a long time, and I needed a laugh. Thanks Silver. :D
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Fri Oct 23, '09, 3:39 am

Caged Wolf wrote:THAT is one of the funniest things I've seen in a long time, and I needed a laugh. Thanks Silver. :D

You are most welcome, Caged Wolf. :) I thought it was funny too. :yes:

Silver_Surfer1

PreviousNext

Return to Casual Conversation