Ridiculous Item Of The Day

General discussion of subjects beyond the scope of the other forums.

Re: Ridiculous Item Of The Day

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Thu Feb 18, '10, 9:18 pm

Heard this mentioned on the radio:

http://www.dnaindia.com/world/report_ha ... ar_1349188

:yuck:

How often are your bed sheets changed?

I think I would have to say about once a week, if not more.

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." John 3:16
Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Thoul » Thu Feb 18, '10, 10:22 pm

I change my bedsheets about once a month, give a take or week. Sometimes I forget about it for a while.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby SparkyIII » Thu Mar 11, '10, 4:42 am

Hehe, I change my bedsheets um.........february, then.......maybe sometime in the summer?
SparkyIII
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 40

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Fri Mar 26, '10, 9:50 pm

Time to update this thread once again. :)

Here's a "ridiculous" story about a math genius who won $1 Million but refuses to accept it! :yikes:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/03/2 ... t_43192211

hmmm, you would think most anybody would be happy to win a million dollars, especially in today's economy?

Comments or Opinions?

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." John 3:16
Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Rune_Walsh » Fri Mar 26, '10, 10:10 pm

Silver_Surfer1 wrote:Time to update this thread once again. :)

Here's a "ridiculous" story about a math genius who won $1 Million but refuses to accept it! :yikes:

hmmm, you would think most anybody would be happy to win a million dollars, especially in today's economy?

Comments or Opinions?

:lol: That is all kinds of cRAYze. :lol:
Rune_Walsh
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 9

Postby Schala Zeal » Fri Mar 26, '10, 10:53 pm

Silver_Surfer1 wrote:Time to update this thread once again. :)

Comments or Opinions?

You would think so; I certainly wouldn't turn down a million bucks. :rofl:
Perhaps he felt that unwanted family and neighbors would start hounding him for the money; who knows?
Schala Zeal
Guardian
Guardian

Achievements: 21

Postby Srijita » Fri Mar 26, '10, 11:05 pm

Schala Zeal wrote:Perhaps he felt that unwanted family and neighbors would start hounding him for the money; who knows?

That's a sensitive observation. Either way, I'm sure he has his reasons. From the little we know about him, it seems reasonable to suggest that he cherishes his anonymity and simple lifestyle. If he doesn't want the attention, I hope the media respect his privacy and leave him the hell alone.

Money can be a curse as well as a blessing. Large sums of it tend to incur the jealousy of others. I'm reminded of the recent news item about a lottery winner who was murdered by an alleged "friend".
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis
Srijita
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 15

Postby Oakley2284 » Sat Mar 27, '10, 1:09 pm

But this guy have less privacy right now because he refused the money. Thats not better...
Oakley AW2284, on planet Motavia
Oakley2284
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 105

Postby Srijita » Sat Mar 27, '10, 1:30 pm

Gryz wrote:But this guy have less privacy right now because he refused the money. Thats not better...

To that extent, he was doomed to his day in the limelight as soon as he was awarded the prize for solving the Poincaré conjecture. There was going to be publicity if he accepted it and publicity if he did not. Sooner or later, however, the media will find new fodder. The acquisition of wealth, on the other hand, would attract more prolonged attention of a potentially less palatable form: envy, constant demands for money, and bitterness from those he rejects when he is obliged to favour one request over another. If one already has enough to make one happy, I can intuit that additional wealth might be a burden.
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis
Srijita
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 15

Postby Wolf Bird » Sat Mar 27, '10, 3:18 pm

Here's the first thing I see from my local paper today when I checked my RSS feeds, though I also saw this on NPR last night.

Someone got REALLY drunk...

Last night my brother's girlfriend and I made up the following limerick in regards to this story.

A man once got drunk on a street
A red light he did try to beat
A possum got slain
And the man tried in vain
To resuscitate the poor little beast
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

PreviousNext

Return to Casual Conversation