Ridiculous Item Of The Day

General discussion of subjects beyond the scope of the other forums.

Re: Ridiculous Item Of The Day

Postby PSjunkie » Sat Mar 27, '10, 8:37 pm

Lol, sure sounds like something I would.......never do if I got drunk. :)

I work at McDonald's part time from 10pm - 7am and this one kid came in and ordered a cheese burger with 15 pieces of cheese, 20 mins later the same kid again but, ordered a cheese burger with 15 pieces of meat.
To make it worse he came thru drive thru again, 60mins later and ordered a quarter pounder, added to his burger a cheese burger pattie, angus pattie (bigger than a quarter pounder pattie, extra quarter pounder pattie, fish filet pattie, crispy chicken pattie, bacon and extra cheese. We had to serve it to him with the box open as we couldnt get it closed.
I kid you not, he was showing off to his mates, it was 3 boys and 7 girls, he wanted to impress the girls, I know 2 of the girls, they werent impressed they just enjoyed watching him make a complete fool of himself. :lol:
PSjunkie
Agent
Agent

Achievements: 30

Postby Rune_Walsh » Sun Mar 28, '10, 4:17 am

Srijita wrote:
Gryz wrote:But this guy have less privacy right now because he refused the money. Thats not better...

To that extent, he was doomed to his day in the limelight as soon as he was awarded the prize for solving the Poincaré conjecture. There was going to be publicity if he accepted it and publicity if he did not. Sooner or later, however, the media will find new fodder. The acquisition of wealth, on the other hand, would attract more prolonged attention of a potentially less palatable form: envy, constant demands for money, and bitterness from those he rejects when he is obliged to favour one request over another. If one already has enough to make one happy, I can intuit that additional wealth might be a burden.

If he didn't want to keep a cent for himself, I just don't understand why he couldn't give it all to charity. It would be an incredibly honorable thing to donate to people in need, schools in need, cancer research, etc.
Rune_Walsh
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 9

Postby Srijita » Sun Mar 28, '10, 1:27 pm

Rune_Walsh wrote: If he didn't want to keep a cent for himself, I just don't understand why he couldn't give it all to charity. It would be an incredibly honorable thing to donate to people in need, schools in need, cancer research, etc.

It isn't hard to imagine reasons why he didn't want to go down that road. Let's suppose a prize winner has a number of friends and relatives who aren't exactly on the poverty line, but could certainly use the extra cash - like most of us. Some of us are too proud to accept financial help, but not everyone feels that way. If he accepts the prize and immediately donates the whole sum to charity, it may still create resentment. A friend may wonder: "He knows I'm struggling to pay the rent and get my son through college, but he won't give a cent to me." Yet once he starts giving handouts, the floodgates open; if he can help a friend, then why not his impoverished cousin, or his next door neighbour, or the milkman, or the university at which he did his degree? So he opts to decline the prize - not just the money, but the prize itself. But all of this is just speculation; my point is that he probably has his reasons.

According to a potted biography available online, it isn't even the first prize he has turned down. He evidently does not wish to receive any accolades from the mathematical community, regardless of the form it takes. In the past, he has stated: "I'm not a hero of mathematics. I'm not even that successful; that is why I don't want to have everybody looking at me." We don't know the life events or circumstances that might have shaped his attitudes. Without that knowledge, it is easy for us to misunderstand him.

The Clay Mathematics Institute, which awards the prizes, is a privately funded organisation that runs educational programmes and offers support to students and academics in the field of mathematics. As such, I am sure the money that Dr Perelman has turned down will not go to waste.
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis
Srijita
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 15

Re:

Postby MrKite » Tue Mar 30, '10, 7:02 pm

Atolm wrote:This is a bit silly and pretty funny/amusing.

A Chinese couple wants to name their child "@".

Yep.

Here is the link:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/funnynews/08/16 ... index.html

So... the name would be "At" in a sense.
Of course, "At" has been the nickname of my internet nickname for years.

There was also another couple that wanted to name their child 4real. Spelled exactly like that.

Oh dear. That's just plain sad... What the hell is happening to this world?
Mr. Kite, FOA's resident Alys Brangwin fanboy. Thank you Lyla2284 for making this pic that I used to make this sig.

MrKite
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 59

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Wed May 5, '10, 3:09 am

PSjunkie wrote:I work at McDonald's part time from 10pm - 7am and this one kid came in and ordered a cheese burger with 15 pieces of cheese, 20 mins later the same kid again but, ordered a cheese burger with 15 pieces of meat.
To make it worse he came thru drive thru again, 60mins later and ordered a quarter pounder, added to his burger a cheese burger pattie, angus pattie (bigger than a quarter pounder pattie, extra quarter pounder pattie, fish filet pattie, crispy chicken pattie, bacon and extra cheese. We had to serve it to him with the box open as we couldnt get it closed.
I kid you not, he was showing off to his mates, it was 3 boys and 7 girls, he wanted to impress the girls, I know 2 of the girls, they werent impressed they just enjoyed watching him make a complete fool of himself. :lol:

PSjunkie, I don't know how you put up with stuff like this at work. :roll:

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Wed May 5, '10, 3:15 am

Here's a story about some people getting stuck upside down on a rollercoaster:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ft-up.html

Wow, just look at the diagram of that roller coaster!!!! :yikes:

Reminds me of the last time I rode a rollercoaster....I thought I was gonna have a heart attack before I got off that thing, and I have never been on one again!

Anyone have any rollercoaster stories of your own to tell? Would you ride this one pictured in this story?

Silver_Surfer1

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Wed May 19, '10, 6:06 am

A woman was trying to get away from the police and found a unique place to try and hide:

http://cbs3.com/local/Coffin.Funeral.Ho ... 01504.html

I wonder if she found any pizza's in there. :wink: :lol:

Silver_Surfer1

Postby Thoul » Wed May 19, '10, 6:46 pm

If she did, she should be on the lookout. Finding pizza in a coffin sounds like a bizarre level out of a Ninja Turtles video game. ;)
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Fri May 21, '10, 8:14 pm

Trying to shoot a basketball from an airplane and hit the goal :

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=6506035n

Silver_Surfer1

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Thu Jun 3, '10, 8:30 pm

Getting married in a shark tank.....what will they think of next?

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local-be ... 50574.html
Last edited by Silver_Surfer1 on Fri Jun 11, '10, 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silver_Surfer1

PreviousNext

Return to Casual Conversation