Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ] 

Dust Jacket

Dust Jacket

View Gallery Page

PostPosted: Tue Feb 1, '11, 5:00 am 
The book The World of Phantasy Star is accompanied by this dust jacket, which wraps around the front and back cover. The covers of the book feature an identical design rendering in black, white, and gray. The glossy jacket is much more colorful with the golden classic Phantasy Star logo and red used on some Japanese text. Unfortunately, the rigidity of the spine made this somewhat difficult to scan, leading to some reflected light near the meeting of the front cover and spine.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 1, '11, 4:52 pm 
I don't know why but... I really like this picture. I think its really cool =D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 1, '11, 6:05 pm 
I like it a lot myself. I tried to extract the "Phantasy Star" text for a site logo one time, but couldn't get far in it. That glare in the middle ruined it for me.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 1, '11, 7:34 pm 
I agree, I like this image also. Even though some of it looks as if we can't see it, it still has a majestic look to it.

I do have one question. I notice up in the right hand corner (looking at it from where I sit) that it says "TV-Land One Pack Extra". What exactly does that mean?? Does that have anything to do with the TV-Land tv channel??? Just wondering, lol.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 1, '11, 7:44 pm 
Great picture for the fact alone that it's the entire dusk jacket, not just one side. BUT I must really be the only one who think that the cover for the World of Phantasy Star is really bland and not impressive at all. I mean, it's just the logo, a black square on a white background, and a bunch of texts. It really feels boring, and on my shelf, I always try to hide it a little behind the others PS related books with better cover. Of course that just my opinion, it does not change the fact that it's actually a great job of having an entire scan of it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 1, '11, 8:04 pm 
Silver_Surfer1 wrote:I do have one question. I notice up in the right hand corner (looking at it from where I sit) that it says "TV-Land One Pack Extra". What exactly does that mean?? Does that have anything to do with the TV-Land tv channel??? Just wondering, lol.
I can't tell you very much about the "TV-Land One Pack Extra" label. My best guess is that it's something to do with the publishing company or how to book was distributed. This book was published in Japan about three years before the USA based TV channel was launched, so there's no connection between the two. TV-Land must have been used as a name for something else in Japan circa 1993, but I've not been able to learn what. I've attempted to research it before, but any searches for the term TV-Land today will only bring up tons of material about the USA channel.

We would need someone familiar with Japan's 1990s television culture to answer the question of what that label means.
xellos667 wrote:BUT I must really be the only one who think that the cover for the World of Phantasy Star is really bland and not impressive at all. I mean, it's just the logo, a black square on a white background, and a bunch of texts.

It is more minimal than most covers, to be sure. That's not always a bad thing, though. I wouldn't mind having a few characters in there somewhere, but the different approach sets this book apart.

What I really like is that this is probably the largest pure classic "Phantasy Star" logo ever printed. Now if only it didn't have that text on the spine...

Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]