The perfect PS game?

Discuss the saga of Algo, where the legend began.

The perfect PS game?

Postby Lyla2284 » Tue Jul 20, '10, 9:41 am

Ok, here's a little idea I had played around with for a while. If you could tell any software company to make the perfect PS Classic game, using elements from previous games, what would you do. I list my ideals from the Classics, then go ahead and list yours! ^^

Plotline/Storyline: Phantasy Star 2 (no brainer)
Character design: Phantasy Star 3
Music: PS3 (except the battle tune, and techno music influenced from PS2)
Battle system: PS GEN2
Difficulty: PS2 :twisted:
Map design/dungeon design: PS1
Concept: PS3 (Generation system ^^)

And last but certainly not least, a FEMALE protagonist. There are too many male heroes in RPGs nowadays. Big turn off for me is if the hero is a kid betweem 15-19 years. ><

Sorry, no PS4. I don't hold that game in high esteem anymore, unless you're including character development. Which is a must in any modern JRPG anyway.
Lyla2284
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 78

Re: The perfect PS game?

Postby Xander » Tue Jul 20, '10, 9:59 am

Lyla2284 wrote:Map design/dungeon design: PS1

I missed that from the other games. Not only was it really well done in PS I but it also helped break up the gameplay so you weren't always constantly slogging across the world map only to do the same thing in the dungeons as well.

Anyhoo, let's see what I can think of.

Plotline/Storyline: I'm going with PS II as well. In comparison to the others it was really solid.
Character design: PS II
Music: PS II and III (can I choose more than 1?) :p
Battle system: PS IV
Difficulty: PS I. I thought it still managed to provide a bit of a challenge in the later stages.
Map design/dungeon design: PS I
Concept: PS III. I mean if PS III had been given time to be finished the way it was intended. Such a wasted opportunity.
"There's nothing wrong with you that I can't fix...with my hands!!"

ImageImage
Xander
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 189

Postby Tanith » Tue Jul 20, '10, 10:42 am

Plotline/Storyline: PSII
Character design: Modern. A nod towards PSII, a less cartoony PSIV and definitely sci-fi. No capes, and let the female characters wear outfits like Alys's: ones that make sense for fighting and protection (though she should probably be wearing her hair tied back).
Music: I'm also going with a combined PSII/PSIII effort
Battle system: PSIV
Difficulty: Leveling? (PSIV) Dungeons? (PSI and PSII) Battles? (PSII and PSIV)
Map design/dungeon design: Modern; I don't want squared-off N/S/E/W 1st person dungeons, but 1st person would be fun.
Concept: I don't know. I don't want multiple generations and I want the story in Algol. The post-apocalyptic PSIV appeals, but I feel that over 1,000 years since things collapsed in PSII's time, the common man shouldn't be so technology and government deprived.
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 204

Postby Xander » Tue Jul 20, '10, 10:48 am

Tanith wrote:Difficulty: Leveling? (PSIV) Dungeons? (PSI and PSII) Battles? (PSII and PSIV)

A good point. I've never been a big fan of spending ages fighting stuff just to level up a couple of times. Plus I loved beating an early boss in PS IV and getting maybe 2 or 3 levels on some of my characters. :D
As for fighting, yes, throw in the difficulty of PS II with the system of PS IV and things get a lot less boring but without lasting a few seconds.

ImageImage
Xander
Numan
Numan

Postby Lyla2284 » Tue Jul 20, '10, 7:19 pm

Xander wrote:
Tanith wrote:Difficulty: Leveling? (PSIV) Dungeons? (PSI and PSII) Battles? (PSII and PSIV)

A good point. I've never been a big fan of spending ages fighting stuff just to level up a couple of times. Plus I loved beating an early boss in PS IV and getting maybe 2 or 3 levels on some of my characters. :D
As for fighting, yes, throw in the difficulty of PS II with the system of PS IV and things get a lot less boring but without lasting a few seconds.

True. I always felt the battle in IV were far too short (even shorter with Combo attacks) and it didn't really feel like you were accomplishing anything. PS2's challenging battles merged with IV's easy leveling system could make things alot easier for the player.

And Tan, I do agree with you that Alys' outfit design was alot more practical than any of the other female characters. Some of them showed alot of flesh * Rika, Nei, Anna, *cough, cough* and all their hair was worn loose. Not one of them (except Sari, who also has a great design), has their hair tied back. And I agree with you that only the male characters should wear capes. Rolf actually looks pretty good in one. He bares a striking similarity to Orakio in my new art piece. ^^
Lyla2284
Numan
Numan

Postby Xander » Tue Jul 20, '10, 7:29 pm

Hmm, maybe you should add that option. More capes: yes or no? :p Though I will say that Amy without her cloak would look a bit weird.

Macros were one thing I enjoyed. For one, being able to pull off the trickier combos like Destruction but also because it helped make some fights easier. Such as when you run into 4 outerbeasts in the edge of darkness. That way you can get Rune in with Gra, or something like Rikas Disrupt attack with the silver tusk, and kill them all in the first go without any hassle of setting people who can't do anything to defend.

ImageImage
Xander
Numan
Numan

Postby Lyla2284 » Tue Jul 20, '10, 7:38 pm

Now, combos would be an excellent idea if the game was as hard as PS2. ^^ Then the macro system would be appreciated. I only really used it for level grinding (for the fun of it, I usually finished IV at around lvl 45, normal playthrough) and for setting up combo attacks. And for the cape story, yeah Amy would look weird without her little shawl, and Rika would look like she was wearing an armoured bathing-suit. :D But hey, we're talking about brand new characters, right?
Lyla2284
Numan
Numan

Postby Xander » Tue Jul 20, '10, 7:47 pm

Well yeah, I think I just went a bit off there. :o

I'd also say capping levels at 60 would be an idea. I think they were capped at 40 in PS I. While the highest I went to in any PS game was 55 in PS IV, that was only because I was bored and leveled up the others at the spaceport before the PD fight and Rika was the only one at 55 because she levels up insanely fast. Otherwise it's around 40-45

ImageImage
Xander
Numan
Numan

Postby Lyla2284 » Tue Jul 20, '10, 7:56 pm

My highest in IV was around late 80s to 98. :D Though I had to kill off Rika because she levels up so fast, and if she had hit 99 before everyone else... well, you know what would have happened. ><

And the level cap in PS1 was lvl 30, I think and lvl 50 for PS2. The levels are actually doubled in the remakes. A level cap of 50 sounds about ideal?
Lyla2284
Numan
Numan

Postby Xander » Tue Jul 20, '10, 8:01 pm

Wow, you went all the way to that level!? How long did that take?

I suppose 50 would be best if we're going by the rate of PS IV leveling. And I have to admit, the fight with PD at 45-50 was pretty easy, bar Megid spam from PD. I left Raja behind and took Kyra instead. Being able to pull off grandcross and shooting star in 1 round is pretty insane. :D

ImageImage
Xander
Numan
Numan

Next

Return to Classic Series