The perfect PS game?

Discuss the saga of Algo, where the legend began.

Re: The perfect PS game?

Postby Lyla2284 » Tue Jul 20, '10, 8:12 pm

Xander wrote:Wow, you went all the way to that level!? How long did that take?

And I have to admit, the fight with PD at 45-50 was pretty easy, bar Megid spam from PD.

PDarky the 3rd wasn't challenging, she was annoying. She didn't have many attacks to start off with,
and even though I took a friggen half an hour to kill her, she didn't seem epic to me. A final end game boss needs to have as many tricks up their sleeve as possible, and ones that will force the player to change their tactics.

Honestly, the ideal boss for me would be one that can inflict status effects, one that silences all your mages and blinds all your fighters. Couple this with a few multi-hitting attacks (LightningShower and AnotherGate comes to mind here), throw in a strong physical attack that targets only one member, and occasional use of Megid. Then you have a winner. I actually modelled one of my bosses off this strategy. High HP and Megid Spam... A big no-no. (PDarky 3 had 12999 HP).

As for my insane leveling, I used an emulator. 'Nuff said. ^^
Lyla2284
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 78

Postby Xander » Tue Jul 20, '10, 8:19 pm

That's what annoyed me about some of the PS IV bosses. All forms of PD had 3 attacks, though as you said, PD 3 was probably the most annoying with the Megid or Canceling spam. Though Lassic and his constant thunder attacks were very frustrating.
"There's nothing wrong with you that I can't fix...with my hands!!"

ImageImage
Xander
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 189

Postby Lyla2284 » Tue Jul 20, '10, 8:31 pm

Actually, none of the bosses in IV were challenging to me. -_- Hopefully, I'll change all of that soon. :D
Lyla2284
Numan
Numan

Postby Xander » Tue Jul 20, '10, 8:35 pm

Well as a beta tester I'd have to say so far so good. :) Though the basement boss is sorted now, the fights in the bio plant and with Zio were a good challenge at the time they popped up.

ImageImage
Xander
Numan
Numan

Postby Wolf Bird » Tue Jul 20, '10, 10:40 pm

Lyla2284 wrote:PDarky the 3rd wasn't challenging, she was annoying. She didn't have many attacks to start off with, and even though I took a friggen half an hour to kill her, she didn't seem epic to me. A final end game boss needs to have as many tricks up their sleeve as possible, and ones that will force the player to change their tactics.

Well, Lyla, with that in mind, might I recommend you try Earthbound if you want the ultimate in 'epic final boss where you don't know what the heck to do?' ^^

To answer this original question...

Plotline: PSII, probably
Character development: PSIV
Dungeon/mazes: PSI
Difficulty: Mmm...dunno. PSIV was too easy, but PSII is too much. So somewhere in the middle.
Enemies: PSIV. Plenty of variety there all fitting the area, and I like the idea of mutated animals.

I'm sure I forgot something.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Tanith » Wed Jul 21, '10, 4:08 am

Lyla2284 wrote:And I agree with you that only the male characters should wear capes. Rolf actually looks pretty good in one. He bares a striking similarity to Orakio in my new art piece. ^^
Oops. I should have been clearer. I don't want capes on anyone except mantled Espers or other heavy magic users (Amy's shawl and Rune's and Lutz's mantles are fine, for instance). Hunters, guardians, numans, etc? No capes, please, especially melée combat individuals (I'm looking at you, Rika*). Now, if video game designers want to incorporate cut scenes of them wandering the desert or the tundra wearing capes, I have no problem with that.

*A good Rika redesign without losing the "feel" of her original outfit would be a black unitard under her armor and boots. She'd still have freedom of movement without having to feel a breeze every time she attacks something. Actually, unitards would be great for all the females if sexiness is an absolute "must" :roll: for female characters. Formfitting yet more practical.
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 204

Postby Xander » Wed Jul 21, '10, 8:20 am

Tanith wrote:A good Rika redesign without losing the "feel" of her original outfit would be a black unitard under her armor and boots. She'd still have freedom of movement without having to feel a breeze every time she attacks something. Actually, unitards would be great for all the females if sexiness is an absolute "must" :roll: for female characters. Formfitting yet more practical.

Well actually, if you look at this picture from the compendium you'll see something similar to what you mentioned.
If I remember correctly, this was meant to be an alternate outfit for going about on Dezoris but implementing it into the game was apparently going to prove a bit tricky so they cut it out. A pity really, I think it's pretty cool.

ImageImage
Xander
Numan
Numan

Postby Lyla2284 » Wed Jul 21, '10, 11:06 am

Tanith wrote:
Actually, unitards would be great for all the females if sexiness is an absolute "must" :roll: for female characters. Formfitting yet more practical.

Sexy, those gals (Nei, Rika, Meiu)? Nah, cute yes. But definitely NOT sexy. Only Anna and Neifirst fall into that category. ^^ I suppose it was to help bolster video game sales. :shiftyeyes: Just take a look a Rika on the Japanese cover of PS4. Does not suit her at all. Over-sexed, if I can use a better word for it... And it's also the very reason I admire Alys so much as well. Very conservative outfit (probably because of her age and maturity), that she wasn't given an outfit like the afore-mentioned gals. Imagine if that had happened. :o She has the role of a mentor and leader, not a sex-object.

@Xan: To answer your question about why they removed Rika's alternate outfit, it was because the developers thought it would be too difficult to incorporate that design into her battle sprite. So they either had to make two designs, one for Dezo, another for all the other areas, or leave it. And they did the latter, I'm afraid. I always wondered how she could walk around on Dezo without turning into a living ice-cube. :D
Lyla2284
Numan
Numan

Postby Lucas » Wed Jul 21, '10, 11:58 am

Plotline/Storyline: Along the lines of Phantasy Star 2
Character design: Phantasy Star 2 anime style
Music: PSIV
Battle system: PSIV
Difficulty: Probably a mixture between PSII and PSIV. Or make the bosses much, much harder than regular enemy battles either way.
Map design/dungeon design: PSIV, but have lots more dungeons, even optional ones.

And lots of optional super bosses maybe even appearance from bosses in the newer games like Olga-Flow and Magashi as extra bosses. I love optional stuff it gives more playable value to the game even after you’ve beaten the storyline.

"It's always fun to kill a god." ~ Akuma (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
Lucas
Protector
Protector

Achievements: 175

Postby Xander » Thu Jul 22, '10, 3:23 pm

Yes! More bosses for sure, please. Besides PS IV there just weren't enough. PS II only had 3 and the boss fights in PS III were far too easy.

ImageImage
Xander
Numan
Numan

PreviousNext

Return to Classic Series