Blockbuster closings

Discussion of television, movies, and other forms of moving pictures.

Blockbuster closings

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Fri Feb 24, '12, 4:37 am

Dish Network who recently bought Blockbuster Video has announced they will soon be closing about 500 of the Blockbuster Video stores:

http://www.thewrap.com/media/article/di ... mers-35653

It doesn't sound very well for Blockbuster Video. :(
Good Friday ~ March 29, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Re: Blockbuster closings

Postby Thoul » Fri Feb 24, '12, 5:03 am

Ouch, that's a lot of stores to close. It's nearly a third of their US locations. I guess Netflix and similar services are really making a killing and taking away a lot of Blockbuster's business.
Last edited by Thoul on Fri Feb 24, '12, 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Wolf Bird » Fri Feb 24, '12, 11:52 am

I can't help but think this is just simply the wave of the future. Sure, it's sad, but I think the movie/game rental store is a relic of the past.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Tanith » Fri Feb 24, '12, 6:16 pm

I'm actually surprised they're not all closed yet. I suppose in some areas people are still resistant to changing over to Netflix and other streaming video services, possibly due to lack of up-to-date technology or poor broadband capability. I live in an economically depressed area, but we still lost our Hollywood Video at least a couple of years ago. People seem to really like the Blockbuster and Redbox kiosks.
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 204

Postby myau56 » Fri Feb 24, '12, 10:22 pm

Before, in France, there was some stores where you were able to rent video games (don't know if it's the same in other countries but I'm sure !!) but know they all disappeared....the same will happen to the movie rental with all the VOD and other ways to watch movies or series...here is a proof.
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby Thoul » Sat Feb 25, '12, 5:34 am

Those Redbox kiosks are all over the place in my town. I know there's got to be nearly a dozen of them. I don't recall seeing a single Blockbuster kiosk, but that's probably to keep the store alive in such a relatively small town.

myau56 wrote:Before, in France, there was some stores where you were able to rent video games (don't know if it's the same in other countries but I'm sure !!) but know they all disappeared

In the USA, our movie rental stores also rent video games. :) Most of the national store chains have closed now, so game rental is disappearing here too. I think Blockbuster is the only national chain with brick and mortar stores we have left.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby myau56 » Sat Feb 25, '12, 9:35 am

Yes, some rental stores were for the two media ! But now the Movie rental stores aren't very numerous anymore (but as I'm not really watching movies...even at the cinema...)
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Postby Thoul » Mon Feb 11, '13, 10:27 am

Now, about a year later, Blockbuster is closing another 300 stores. This is going to leave them with about 500 remaining stores in the US.
http://music.msn.com/music/article.aspx?news=786476

This wave of closures is claiming my local store, too. It was the last video or game rental store in the area. The only options for rental now are one of the mail services or those Redbox kiosks that are everywhere.

They have signs up saying everything is on sale, so I dropped by, but it was a sad sight. They only had one shelf of games - less than two dozen titles, most of them new rather than items that had been rented previously. Nearly all the movies were $9.99. Considering most of them had been available for rent a $.99 a month ago, I wasn't about to pay that much for any of them. So yeah, I left empty handed and I doubt I'll go back.
Last edited by Thoul on Tue Feb 12, '13, 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby myau56 » Mon Feb 11, '13, 2:06 pm

That was the same in France some weeks ago : all the stores from the GAME chain have been closed :( Sad news for video games retailers .... :(
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Mon Feb 11, '13, 2:15 pm

Really hate to hear this about Blockbuster. I was hoping they would be able to make it but looks like that did not happen. Sign of the times I suppose. Years ago movie rental places were doing terrific business in our area but alas there are none here now either. Surprising to me especially since movies are a number one form of entertainment.
Good Friday ~ March 29, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Next

Return to Screen Scene