Zelda Wii U, opinions needed

Discussing all the gaming matters not covered in the other forums.

Zelda Wii U, opinions needed

Postby S4Blade » Mon Jan 20, '14, 1:51 pm

Okay, before I get into this, I would like to preface this topic by telling you where my topic/opinions questions originated. I was looking at another forum and saw a topic from a guy who was claiming that the supposed upcoming version of Zelda on the Wii U (not the upcoming Zelda musou game) will not sell unless it has a more grown up graphical style like Twilight Princess as opposed to the cutesy look of Wind Waker and Skyward Sword. He went on to say that Twilight Princess sold more than twice the amount of Skyward Sword and almost twice the amount of Wind Waker. This can be proven by this link here: http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/The_Legend_of_Zelda

The topic got me thinking though. If Zelda on the Wii U does have the graphical style of Twilight Princess I will buy it in a heartbeat, along with a Wii U, however (on a personal level) I don't think I will bother with the game if it looks like Wind Waker or Skyward Sword. I'm not a graphic junky or anything, graphics don't matter to me, I can play old games as long as they are good.

The problem is that I really just don't like the cartoony style for Link anymore. I didn't like it in Wind Waker, I didn't like it in Phantom Hourglass, and I didn't even bother with Skyward Sword because it just turns me off. Maybe Twilight Princess ruined me in this regard.

What I want to know from you guys is:

1. What style of Zelda would you prefer for the new Zelda Wii U game? The more grown up and realistic look of Twilight Princess? or the cartoony style of Wind Waker/Skyward Sword?

2. Would one graphical style over another change your opinions or plans to buy the game either way?

3. Do you think the sales of the upcoming Zelda game will be affected by the graphical style? Do you think it will sell more if it has a more realistic style?

Me, I hope it is the more realistic style of Twilight Princess, if it looks like Wind Waker or Skyward Sword, I probably won't buy it.

Sorry for the long post :faint:
Last edited by S4Blade on Mon Jan 20, '14, 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Currently Playing: Nothing

S4Blade
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 39

Re: Zelda Wii U, opinions needed

Postby Bragatyr » Mon Jan 20, '14, 2:09 pm

I liked the art style of Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess a lot more than the cel-shaded look, personally. Skyward Sword was colorful, which is arguably something a Zelda game should be, while still looking refined and even beautiful. It was a very good middle ground between the two. My only problem with going with the Twilight Princess vibe again is that it veers too close to just looking like Skyrim or some other Western RPG. I've heard people say they want blood and maturity and, I don't know, Mortal Kombat in the next Zelda, that this sort of thing would get them really hyped, and I want to ask them, what Zelda game have you been playing all these years? There are plenty of "hardcore" games out there. I do think Zelda needs to maintain a certain air of fantasy and non-realism, while of course evolving positively.

My main issue with the Zelda games at the moment is the lack of deviation from the formula. Ocarina was great, probably the best game of all time, but they can't keep remaking it. I'd like to see something done to really switch it up, like Mario Galaxy, for example, but of course that sort of thing could alienate fans (as you pointed out, even adopting a new art style turned people away from Windwaker and hurt sales).
Bragatyr
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 65

Postby R-90-2 » Mon Jan 20, '14, 2:16 pm

Bragatyr wrote:My main issue with the Zelda games at the moment is the lack of deviation from the formula.

Well, that's definitely not the case for the upcoming one. It's going to be a mass-brawler in the vein of the Dynasty/Samurai Warriors series.
Do not say: How is it that former times were better than these? For it is not out of wisdom that you ask about this. Ecclesiastes 7:10
ImageImageImageImage
R-90-2
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 78

Postby Bragatyr » Mon Jan 20, '14, 2:24 pm

That's true in terms of the main series, but even as an offshoot one of the main criticisms being levied against Hyrule Warriors is that it's hugely derivative. I haven't played the Dynasty Warrior games, personally, but even I think Hyrule Warriors just looks...lazy. Even as an attempt at doing something novel with Zelda it just seems kind of bland to me. It's like they're too scared to do anything different with the main series, so they introduce a clone of another popular series on the side. Which, granted, could be a good thing if it works out. I'm personally hoping it leads to multiple playable characters in future mainline Zelda games.
Bragatyr
Sage
Sage

Postby S4Blade » Mon Jan 20, '14, 3:02 pm

Bragatyr wrote: I'm personally hoping it leads to multiple playable characters in future mainline Zelda games.

Well that's one of the defining things in the Dynasty Warriors games. You get to play as a lot of different characters. So if they stick with the same formula for the Zelda Musou game, it could lead to a bunch of playable characters which could be interesting.

For the record, my main post refers to the next cannon Zelda game, and not the Musou game.

S4Blade
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Postby Atlinsmere » Mon Jan 20, '14, 8:58 pm

1. I think the best graphical style would be an in between Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess. One reason I couldn't get into Windwaker was that it was too cartoony when they cell shaded everything. I think that was too much of a jump between OoT and MM to the point it just turned me off.

2. I'm not planning on buying a Wii U, but if it was on a different system, maybe. In my opinion, certain franchises need to have a certain look or feel to be more enjoyable as the graphical style may either enhance, or destroy certain atmospheres of a game. To me, the Zelda needs a colourful (but not too colourful), mature style.

3.For Zelda,I think the graphical style will have an impact on sales. I know there is a lot of people who like the cell shaded look, but then again there is a lot who like the mature look. The best thing for Nintendo would probably be to find a happy medium between the too without making it look ridiculous. Either way they won't be able to please everyone and it might just come down to Nintendo relying on the die hard fans to keep them afloat.
A simple text based signature? That's impossible!
Atlinsmere

Achievements: 392

Postby myau56 » Mon Jan 20, '14, 9:00 pm

R-90-2 wrote:
Bragatyr wrote:My main issue with the Zelda games at the moment is the lack of deviation from the formula.

Well, that's definitely not the case for the upcoming one. It's going to be a mass-brawler in the vein of the Dynasty/Samurai Warriors series.

Like Samurai Warriors ? OH NO ! If it's that, I'm sure no to buy this Zelda ! :( What an horror..
About the style of the new Zelda, I don't know as I have mixed feelings about it ! In fact, it doesn't matter to me if it's anime style or not ! I love the two of them and found that Wind Waker was a great game (and even the boat sequences were great to me !).
We'll see for the next one :)
And an important addendum : I will not buy a Wii U so... ^^
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby S4Blade » Mon Jan 20, '14, 10:43 pm

Man, lots of people with no desire to get a Wii U at all. Well I guess it makes sense. I will probably get one someday, but it will be way down the road. Maybe after another price drop or two.

S4Blade
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Postby Bragatyr » Tue Jan 21, '14, 2:37 am

I'm just waiting for Smash. Mario Kart and X will help a lot, but yeah.
Bragatyr
Sage
Sage

Postby myau56 » Tue Jan 21, '14, 12:25 pm

Bragatyr wrote:I'm just waiting for Smash. Mario Kart and X will help a lot, but yeah.

I DON4T LIKE at all Super Smash Bros ! So not for me and I think that I'll never buy a WII U but it's better to "never says never" ! ^^
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Return to General Gaming