Zelda - The Adventures Of Link... & More...

Remembering the games of yesteryear.

Postby SparkyIII » Thu Nov 15, '07, 5:03 am

lol we had an old game, and I grew slightly bored of it as we unlocked all the newer items. We got another but we don't find it as interesting as the first run through. The newer ones don't look all that exciting, either, just better graphics, especially because you don't move just up down left or right, and a few things I've seen in other games.
Everything has a pattern. Something set. Even random things. They aren't random at all, its complex mathematics. The trick is to find the pattern. Then you can exploit it.

People think things have a certain end. Taxes. Work. Due dates don't really exist. Trust me. When you put a band of world scholars in the same room, and set them on talking about anything, the most interesting topics come up. The existence of negative time. The probability of "random occurrence". The government's involvement in the media. And falsified due dates. They aren't real, trust me....
SparkyIII
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 40

Postby Thoul » Thu Nov 15, '07, 9:48 am

Snorb wrote:Oh, and one dungeon Link repeatedly visits is like Metal Gear Solid, if it were designed by Satan.

Returning to a dungeon? That's new, I can't recall the last Zelda game that used that idea. How well was the double screen utilized?
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Snorb » Sun Nov 18, '07, 5:03 am

The top screen was used to display your map (except for the final boss- this was important!), and you played on the touch screen. You don't get to move Link with the D-pad- instead, you use the touch screen for pretty much everything (a ghost in Satan's Metal Gear Solid dungeon says, "If there's one thing I regret, it's not being able to play this game with the + Control Pad." No, I'm not making this up.).

Attack? Tap your target to jump slash, or draw a parallel/perpendicular line to stab/slash. Pick something up? Tap it, then tap where you want to throw it.

I was glad to see Bombchus return to the inventory (draw a path for them to follow!), and there's quite a lot to do out there on the Great Sea. One thing I'm kinda glad to see go were the Heart Pieces- need another heart on the health bar? It's all or nothing, just like the original game.

Oh, and you'll love Linebeck, your ally during this whole adventure.
Snorb

Achievements: 124

Postby Thoul » Mon Nov 19, '07, 2:19 am

Bombchus! Ha, I figured we would never see them again. Being able to control where they go will be great.

No Heart Pieces, huh? I've gotten so used to those that I've come to expect it, but it will be a refreshing change to get a whole Heart Container outside of a dungeon again.

From your comment about Linebeck, I take it there's another tag along ally like Navi and Midna?

(a ghost in Satan's Metal Gear Solid dungeon says, "If there's one thing I regret, it's not being able to play this game with the + Control Pad." No, I'm not making this up.).

:lol: That's one of the reasons I've been hesitant to get a DS so far. I was sure if I'd like this touch screen thing. I hope I don't share the sentiments of that ghost when I finally get the game.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Thoul » Mon Dec 31, '07, 10:56 pm

So, I've finally got a DS and Phantom Hourglass now. I've almost finished it, I think. I have to say, this is definitely one of the most fun games in the series yet. I miss Heart Pieces more than I expected, but the gems make up for it quite a bit. Linebeck is a riot; his reaction to everything is great.

Has anyone tried the Zelda game packed in with the Wii Zapper? I got one of those this weekend. I loved the old Zapper, so that plus a Zelda game was just unresistable for me. It's pretty fun, though it looks to be kind of short. Plenty of replay value in trying to master each stage, though.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Previous

Return to Retro Roundup