Skies of Arcadia

Remembering the games of yesteryear.

Skies of Arcadia

Postby Thoul » Tue May 29, '07, 11:15 pm

Did any of you play this game? It's another Sega RPG from some of the creators of Phantasy Star. Originally it was on a Dreamcast and later there was a GameCube version with additional content.

I enjoyed the Dreamcast version a lot; it's one of the reasons I still have the system. It was one of the first console games with downloadable content, I think. I've been looking to get the GameCube version for a while, but I can never seem to find it at a decent price anymore.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Re: Skies of Arcadia

Postby Tsunami » Fri Jun 1, '07, 1:01 am

I've heard it was good. Never had the opportunity to play it, though.
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby Triumvirate » Sun Jun 3, '07, 12:51 am

I love that game. One of the best games that came out on the Gamecube (the only version I had). I had a blast playing it.
Triumvirate
Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Achievements: 1

Postby Thoul » Sun Jun 3, '07, 8:53 pm

I've heard it was good. Never had the opportunity to play it, though.

You should, if you get a chance. It's really fun. The monster encounter rate is a bit too high in the Dreamcast version at times, but there is a lot to explore.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby The $ Avenger » Sat Jun 9, '07, 2:26 am

Wow, some Skies fans! Nice to see some fellow appreciators.

I personally think that the GC remake was the greatest game ever made! Imo, no game ever captured a world's atmosphere as well as it did. There are so many facets to it that no one part ever got worn out for me. This makes me want to go play it again...
"Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit." Vyse, Skies of Arcadia Legends.
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 7

Postby Neithird » Sat Jun 9, '07, 4:09 pm

I hope to get the GameCube version soon, but I still have the Dreamcast game. It was great, I really liked being able to customize the base and uncovering all the hidden discoveries in the side quests. The VMU minigames, like Pinta's Quest, were a nice addition, too. I didn't play those too often though.

Say, weren't they making a Skies of Arcadia 2? I remember reading about it once, but I never heard anything else about it.
:clyde: · · · :pacman: · · · · · · ● · · · · :inky: · · ·
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." ~ Optimus Prime
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 21

Postby The $ Avenger » Sun Jun 10, '07, 12:04 am

Yeah, Skies 2 was in development, but never announced to be canceled, just put into some state of limbo. I still hold out some hopes for the sequel, but Rieko Kodama, the creator, is off making those Brain type games for the DS right now. Anyone I ever knew that played it absolutely loved it! The base, the crew, the discoveries, and the added GC content took me 60 hours to complete. Whew!
"Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit." Vyse, Skies of Arcadia Legends.
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Postby Neithird » Sun Jun 10, '07, 7:59 pm

Aw. :( Let's hope she will come back to her RPG roots in Phantasy Star or Skies soon!
:clyde: · · · :pacman: · · · · · · ● · · · · :inky: · · ·
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." ~ Optimus Prime
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 21

Postby Thoul » Wed Jun 13, '07, 9:22 pm

If I remember right, Skies was created by the Overworks team, which Sega eventually spun off into a separate company. But, I think that "company" was eventually dissolved, along with Overworks entirely, and that was when word about the Skies sequel stopping coming. I think there were a couple of screenshots, but that's all as far as I remember.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby The $ Avenger » Wed Jun 13, '07, 11:34 pm

:cry: I still have hopes that Sega will revive at least one good RPG series. They claim to have some major announcement about an old series at E3 this year... maybe a revival? PSV, please!!!
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Next

Return to Retro Roundup