Cause of the Dark, Phantasy Star III Dark Force piano cover

Remixes and original creations by fans - as games, audio, videos or other forms - shine in this spotlight.

Cause of the Dark, Phantasy Star III Dark Force piano cover

Postby Bragatyr » Tue Feb 25, '14, 6:48 pm

Probably my favorite song from PS III, so I had to do a piano cover of it, which I finally got around to. Dark Force definitely has a winning smile.
Bragatyr
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 65

Re: Cause of the Dark, Phantasy Star III Dark Force piano co

Postby myau56 » Tue Feb 25, '14, 9:13 pm

EXCELLENT ! (yes I know that I've put the same in the post concerning your DF's drawing ! ;) ) this song is great you're right; both of them are great : the Darf Force representation in PS3 and his music theme ! So great..
And your piano cover is so great ! But unfortunately, too short... :( It's a good sign ! When it's so good, you want it to last very long ! But congratulations, this is a masterpiece.
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby Bragatyr » Tue Feb 25, '14, 11:27 pm

Thank you very much, man, and yeah, I'm sorry, I really wanted it to be longer and do my usual two repetitions thing, but my fingers couldn't take the left-hand part for too long, with all those constant sixteenth notes, ha ha. I thought about splicing two takes together, but I try to keep it edit-free when I can, so I just kept it at one take.
Bragatyr
Sage
Sage

Postby jessie » Wed Feb 26, '14, 12:07 am

Nice work!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.
ImageImage
ImageImage
jessie
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 39

Postby Bragatyr » Wed Feb 26, '14, 3:23 am

Thank you, jessie!
Bragatyr
Sage
Sage

Postby myau56 » Wed Feb 26, '14, 11:59 am

About the length.. that wasn't a criticism at all ! ;) I know that you knows it but I want to precise it :) Great work ! I understand about those constant sixteenth notes ! :)
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Postby Aeroprism » Thu Feb 27, '14, 8:32 pm

Niiiiiiice.

Ok, first things first: that Dark Force drawing is awesome. The word, although commonly used is carefully chosen here; awe is what I honestly felt when I first saw it. DF3 is by far the most unsettling and credible Dark Force and you just improved on it. Nice. DF1 is another good one, it really makes you picture the alien, "oh crap" feeling. DF2 is just silly and Phantasy Star 4... well, in my opinion, the Dragon-Ball haired Profound-Hentai-ness wasn't too efficient at making me believe it was the end of all things.

Anyways.

I can't say I ever pictured that song done on piano, until now that is. As usual, you display mad skills, my hat off to you in that regard. I wonder what it would have sounded like if you went one octave lower with your left hand and if you played it a bit more aggressively. However, as you said, those fast notes would be painful.

Funny thing is, I always pictured this song done with an aggressive bass line and a fast, crazy drum track to go with some serious electro synths. Then again, it's how I picture most PS songs so; I may not be the most unbiased person in the world regarding this.

That being said: Good job, well done, downloaded and playlisted.
Aeroprism
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 95

Postby myau56 » Fri Feb 28, '14, 12:20 pm

Concerning Dark forces.. the third one is the best, and I can see that a lot of people agree on this fact here ! The second in my list will be the First one too ! And far after.. the DF from PS2 is one of the worst ! I don't like it at all and from Phantasy Star 4.. I can(t say ! I'll try to take a look at them later ;)
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Postby Bragatyr » Fri Feb 28, '14, 5:06 pm

Thank you very much, Aeroprism. I'm very proud that you playlisted it, that's awesome. I have to agree, I always wanted to do this one with crazy drums and electric guitar and the whole shebang, but I couldn't get my guitarist friend in on it, so I said, what the hey. I actually had no intention of even trying it on piano until I was goofing around with it recently and recorded it on my little digital recorder and decided it didn't sound half-bad.

Gotta agree about Dark Force's incarnations, too, I love this one and the first one, didn't really go for The Profound Darkness, that one just looked silly, but I didn't mind the PS II version and the various "real" Dark Forces from from PS IV. Some of those were pretty cool.
Bragatyr
Sage
Sage

Postby Aeroprism » Fri Feb 28, '14, 6:50 pm

Bragatyr wrote:Thank you very much, Aeroprism. I'm very proud that you playlisted it, that's awesome.

My pleasure sir. Excellent work needs to be recognized and praised.

Bragatyr wrote:I have to agree, I always wanted to do this one with crazy drums and electric guitar and the whole shebang,

I may or may not be working on something that will cause you to play obscene amounts of air guitar and whip your hair back and forth like there's no tomorrow.

Cause, you know, awesomeness needs to prosper.
Aeroprism
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 95

Next

Return to Fan Games, Music, Video & More