Your Last Retro Game

Remembering the games of yesteryear.

Re: Your Last Retro Game

Postby myau56 » Tue Feb 7, '12, 9:40 am

[quote="enigmaopoeia"]The last retro game I bought was Diable de Laplace [SFC]. I don't own the system, but I am a huge fan of the game.
[quote]
Never heard of this game ! But the title, in french, catch my attention !
What is it exactly ?

THOUL : I'm just in waiting of the reception of my copy of ...Phantasy Star Generation 1 :) I'll not be able to play it because I can't find back my CD for my PS 2 but I'll try to search it.
Thoul, good luck about your material search ! Level 22 already ? In only few hours ? I suppose the ration of the exp points given by the ennemies is slightly different from the original one ?
And during your last playthrough in PSG1...where did you stop ?
Last edited by myau56 on Tue Feb 7, '12, 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby Thoul » Tue Feb 7, '12, 11:17 am

I can't really remember how far I went into the game the last time. That's one of the reasons I'm starting over, too. :lol: I know I obtained the spaceship, but beyond that I'm not sure.

I've been surprised at how fast the leveling has gone. I'm not sure if it's a different experience balance or just that I picked up Myau and Odin so early. Having the two of them from the beginning made the battles move quickly once I started fighting.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby myau56 » Tue Feb 7, '12, 12:25 pm

A good reason to start it over ! : lol:But you had Myau and Odin from the beginning How ? (maybe I didn't understand...).
Is there a level cap or can you reach a level higher than 30 ?
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Postby enigmaopoeia » Tue Feb 7, '12, 5:34 pm

myau56 wrote:Never heard of this game ! But the title, in french, catch my attention !
What is it exactly ?

Diable de Laplace [ラプラスの魔] is a Horror RPG, two of my favorite things combined, starring a group of ghost hunters doing research in an old mansion in 1924. I have only played the Super FamiCom version, but I like it even though it's the weakest entry in the Ghost Hunters series. This game is more popularly known online as Laplace's Demon, Demon of Laplace, or Laplace no Ma.

Here is a French website with some information about it.
Last edited by enigmaopoeia on Tue Feb 7, '12, 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~ enigmaopoeia
enigmaopoeia
Hunter
Hunter

Achievements: 33

Postby myau56 » Tue Feb 7, '12, 8:59 pm

Ah thanks for the link ! I know the Gamepedia website but no time to check it or other websites about this game but I'll try it on my emulator this evening ;)
Never heard of the Ghost Hunters serie but eager to discover it. me too I love RPG and horror games, so a combination of the two is a great thing.
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Postby enigmaopoeia » Tue Feb 7, '12, 9:34 pm

myau56 wrote:I'll try it on my emulator this evening ;)

There is an English translation available, but the translation is messed up when it comes to battles where everything says "Special". The script also needs polishing and proofreading. However it is still playable and it is an interesting RPG with references to H.P. Lovecraft.

myau56 wrote:Never heard of the Ghost Hunters serie but eager to discover it. me too I love RPG and horror games, so a combination of the two is a great thing.

The Ghost Hunter series is a trilogy developed by Humming Bird Soft:
- Diable de Laplace (ラプラスの魔, Laplace No Ma) [MSX/PC-98/SFC/TCD/X68]
- The Magical Sword of Paracelsus (パラケルススの魔剣, Paracelsus no Maken) [PC-98]
- The Black Masque of Death (黒き死の仮面, Kurokishi no Kamen) [3DO]

I have only beaten Diable de Laplace [SFC] and have played some parts of The Black Masque of Death, but I hope to later eventually play and beat all of these games.

Here is an interesting review from a French website. Maybe it might provide some information?
Last edited by enigmaopoeia on Tue Feb 7, '12, 9:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
~ enigmaopoeia
enigmaopoeia
Hunter
Hunter

Achievements: 33

Postby Thoul » Tue Feb 7, '12, 11:18 pm

myau56 wrote:But you had Myau and Odin from the beginning How ? (maybe I didn't understand...).

I ran from every battle until I had Odin. I was only able to do this because I'm playing on an emulator (to make screen shots) and could use save states. When I found a battle that I couldn't run away from, I loaded a save state and tried again until I was able to run. I had to reload a lot in the cave; only the slimes would let me run in there.

One can probably also do this with Myau on a real PlayStation 2. There's enough money in the Camineet warehouse to reach Paseo, so if one could run from every battle between Camineet and Scion, Myau could be recruited at level 1. Odin's cave has too many stronger enemies, though.

I'm not sure about the level cap. I expect it will be higher than 30. I've already found new equipment for Myau and Odin in dungeons, so I expect all the combat related stuff like levels and experience has been enhanced.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Wolf Bird » Tue Feb 7, '12, 11:30 pm

If late 90s counts as retro, sometimes my boyfriend and I will pop in the Playstation Crash Team Racing.

to be honest, though, with the PS3 and sooo many games to play on it, I have done little retro gaming as of late.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby myau56 » Wed Feb 8, '12, 12:25 pm

Ah ok I see how you made it ! Must have been a bit boring, no ? (but can a play on Phantasy Star be boring ? I don't think so ! Great that emulators and roms exist, especially for specific screenshots.
Yep, the slime are easy to "evade" bur for the others like wing eye, it's much more difficult...

Between Camineet and Scion it's highly possible (beware of the deadtrees) but Odin's cave maybe with a lot of luck...
Ok for the level cap, I'll test it one day if I ever play the game (I hope to do it) or try to see on the web.
Sure it has been enhanced.
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Postby Wing Eye » Sun Feb 19, '12, 2:27 am

enigmaopoeia wrote:The Ghost Hunter series is a trilogy developed by Humming Bird Soft:
- Diable de Laplace (ラプラスの魔, Laplace No Ma) [MSX/PC-98/SFC/TCD/X68]
- The Magical Sword of Paracelsus (パラケルススの魔剣, Paracelsus no Maken) [PC-98]
- The Black Masque of Death (黒き死の仮面, Kurokishi no Kamen) [3DO]

I have only beaten Diable de Laplace [SFC] and have played some parts of The Black Masque of Death, but I hope to later eventually play and beat all of these games.

I can't believe I've never heard of these games before! I must check them out, RPG and Horror are my two favorite genres and to mix them is amazing!
Speaking of Horror RPGs, have you tried Sweet Home for the Famicom? I highly recommend it ;)
Check out my Phantasy Star parody comic
http://www.theduckwebcomics.com/Phantasy_Star_Replay
Wing Eye
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 297

PreviousNext

Return to Retro Roundup