Your Last Retro Game

Remembering the games of yesteryear.

Re: Your Last Retro Game

Postby Wolf Bird » Sun Mar 23, '14, 2:23 pm

So I just decided to go look at Crusader of Centy on eBay, just to see how much it is, considering what you're been saying, Bragatyr. All I have to say is :yikes: I had no idea it was that expensive! We have the complete thing…box (cardboard, though, so not in the best shape…) instructions, cart is still in good shape…wow. Geez. Well, now I know the most valuable game in my Genesis collection.

Bragatyr, I don't know how you feel about emulation, but a ROM of it is pretty easy to find. It is well worth at least trying and with old games this expensive, I know I, personally, do not feel that bad about emulating (and if I love it enough, I get a cartridge…like I did with EarthBound).
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby myau56 » Sun Mar 23, '14, 10:42 pm

Yes, this Crusader of Centy game is "very cheap" on different sites ! :sweat: This game was too a hired one so I don't have it nowadays...:(
But Wolf Bird is right about Emulation ! Me too I don't feel bad about it because sometimes it's the only way to discover old games...
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby Waterfaller » Mon Apr 21, '14, 3:52 am

I think the last one I played was King Colossus on the Genesis. Great game, very dark and moody. I did a little mini review on it here:

sega-16.com/2014/01/reader-roundtable-v ... le-vol-95/
Waterfaller
Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Achievements: 27

Postby Wolf Bird » Mon Apr 21, '14, 1:54 pm

Well, I took advantage of a PSN flash sale going on this past weekend. They had a lot of games at 99 cents, including the original Spyro games, the Crash games, and a hodgepodge of other games (indie, some things that are digital-only in the US, just a random mix). One I got was Gex: Enter the Gecko. I remember having a demo of it back in the day on the demo disc for my PSX, and I remember enjoying it. I do NOT remember ever getting or playing the full game, unless that was one of the discs that just vanished between then and now. But I played it some last night. Yeah, it's a 90s 3-D platformer, what more can you say? :P Since it's stylized, it managed to hold up decently well all those years, but the controls are not the most smooth (no analog!) and the camera can be problematic. But, granted, those problems, and most of the others it has, are things that were common back in the day since 3-D platformers were pretty new and developers were still figuring out how to do it. So, I consider them excusable, as they're not egregious nor game-breaking.
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Postby myau56 » Mon Apr 21, '14, 9:04 pm

My ast retro game was Ristar the Shooting Star on my beloved Megadrive ! Nice Platform game :)
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Postby Wolf Bird » Sun Jun 29, '14, 5:21 am

I have no idea what happened today. I must've been carrying a lucky horseshoe on me, but without knowing it. Today, we visited our little retro game store in Winthrop. And he had in stock, for the first time ever, another one of the harder-to-find and more valuable games in the SNES library. It was EVO: Search for Eden, which on eBay currently runs anywhere between $160-190. I've played it on an emulator and it's definitely fun and rather unique. Granted, I never beat it as I kept getting stuck, but it was definitely a very fun game.

In terms of having a physical copy, this was one of those games buried in my brain, but hadn't been actively seeking a physical copy as I had been for Earthbound up until I got it back in '09. Because it's kind of hard to find and I'm not dedicated enough to find these sorts of things on eBay. But, the guy who runs the store in Winthrop sold it to me for $174, which I found reasonable given eBay prices, and he and his store are two things I really want to support. No original packaging (I really don't expect that on SNES games), but it does have a custom case similar to the one I have my copy of Earthbound in. I like having those at least to protect the cartridge itself. The cartridge for EVO is in AWESOME shape and the label looks brand new.

I tested it briefly just to be sure the cartridge works, and it ran great. My boyfriend got a Retron 5 while we were there, and I hope to run it on that sometime. Though it may be defective as we can't get it to boot.

But yeah. Serious luck today.

Wolf Bird

Postby myau56 » Sun Jun 29, '14, 7:31 pm

Nice catch ! I've tried this game a long long time ago and it's Worth it ! Maybe a bit expensive BUT compared to the eBay prices, not too expensive ! I'm happy for you :) :clap:
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Postby MrKite » Fri Sep 26, '14, 3:05 am

My last one was Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, which I bought on Steam not too long ago.
Mr. Kite, FOA's resident Alys Brangwin fanboy. Thank you Lyla2284 for making this pic that I used to make this sig.

MrKite
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 59

Postby Bragatyr » Thu Oct 9, '14, 6:15 am

I just beat Mega Man 3, and was trying out Excite Bike and Pinball Quest the other night. I was also in a punk band at one point that played a song called "Excite Bike". I'm not making this up. We also did Snake, Rattle 'n' Roll and...seems like some other NES-related thing. I think that genre of music is called Nintendocore!
Bragatyr
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 65

Postby tilinelson2 » Thu Oct 9, '14, 2:37 pm

I have been playing Dragon Quest I on my smartphone. So far, so good. That is the kind of game that works well without a proper controller, and the interface of the mobile port is very friendly. I am considering getting the others as they are released.
A person only sees and hears what he wants to see and hear and disregards the rest.
tilinelson2
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 277

PreviousNext

Return to Retro Roundup