Your Last Retro Game

Remembering the games of yesteryear.

Re: Your Last Retro Game

Postby Wolf Bird » Mon Jan 13, '14, 4:53 am

Tonight I JUST finished Yoshi's Island, basically from scratch after losing a save. I have mixed feelings on this game now. I mean, it's a good well designed platformer, and the art style is pretty adorable. But I did not find it anywhere NEAR as a good as Super Mario World, which remains my second favorite SNES game after EarthBound. I have five major things I did not like as I was playing through/finishing it, so here they are. These are based entirely on my experience.

One, the power ups that existed were not used enough. You got them in 1-2 levels in each world, max, and they functioned only for specific purposes, in specific sections, in a way very different from SMW. I felt like far more could've been done with this and the way they were used felt a bit lazy compared to SMW and older Mario titles.

Two, the Yoshis were all the same. One thing I love in SMW is that the different colored Yoshis have different characteristics. The fact that this game featured Yoshi but did NOT do this felt like a real step backward.

Three, the controls. The controls were not as responsive or smooth as SMW. The downward smash and flutter jump in particular were extremely finicky to pull off. Maybe there was some timing to it I was missing, but for the most part, it felt like I pulled off these moves sometimes and not others basically at the game's whim. After taking a break from the game for a couple weeks after losing a save, I played it in my SupaBoy and noted the unresponsiveness. Thought there was a problem with the SupaBoy. But when I plugged it into my actual SNES, I had the same problems with the controls.

Four, the difficulty curve. I like games that get progressively more difficult from start to finish. But this game has a very sudden spike in difficulty. Now, it is during the last world, so I can sort of understand, but for the most part I was sailing through right up until world 6 when it went from fun and fair to frustrating.

Five, the final boss. For the first stage, see criticism number 4, as you have to use the downward stomp. The second stage is kind of cool. But when it comes to actually throwing eggs at Baby Bowser's face, it feels completely random whether they will actually hit or not. The targeting reticule becomes mostly useless and the range of altitude of your throw in which you actually hit him is ridiculously narrow. Plus, you can no longer throw eggs to retrieve Baby Mario should he be hit off Yoshi's back (which will probably happen), so you have to jump close enough to at least use Yoshi's tongue.

Now, don't get me wrong. It's still a good game, to be sure, and I'd say it's definitely worth playing. It just pales horribly next to its predecessor.
Last edited by Wolf Bird on Mon Jan 13, '14, 4:53 am, edited 3 times in total.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Hukos » Fri Mar 7, '14, 6:50 pm

Wolf Bird wrote:Four, the difficulty curve. I like games that get progressively more difficult from start to finish. But this game has a very sudden spike in difficulty. Now, it is during the last world, so I can sort of understand, but for the most part I was sailing through right up until world 6 when it went from fun and fair to frustrating.

Someone didn't play the extra levels! :wink:

(No really, this level is the bane of my existence. It can promptly die in a fire)
I feel the way you would
Hukos
Android
Android

Achievements: 41

Postby Wolf Bird » Sat Mar 8, '14, 4:50 am

I did not. I beat the final boss and that was enough of the game for me! It was good enough I may revisit it sometime, though.
Last edited by Wolf Bird on Sat Mar 8, '14, 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Postby Bragatyr » Sun Mar 9, '14, 9:47 pm

I'm playing Metroid II right now, and just picked up a Genesis and Sonic 1 and 3 at a garage sale the other day (still have my old copy of Sonic 2), so I'm really stoked.
Bragatyr
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 65

Postby myau56 » Sun Mar 9, '14, 9:58 pm

Bragatyr wrote:I'm playing Metroid II right now, and just picked up a Genesis and Sonic 1 and 3 at a garage sale the other day (still have my old copy of Sonic 2), so I'm really stoked.

A Genesis and Sonic 1 and 3 ? What a great catch my friend ! And all those marvelous Sonic games (your old copy of the second one, for me the best of the whole Sonic serie).
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby Bragatyr » Mon Mar 10, '14, 2:15 am

I know, I was so stoked, man. I've been looking for a Genesis forever, since I gave my old one away to my nephew when I was younger, so seeing it in a garage sale like that was amazing. I can't wait to track down some games for it, I'm gonna try to get Beyond Oasis, which you recommended to me!

And I do have to agree, Sonic 2 is awesome, and has some amazing music, but I think for me Sonic 3 was my fave, though I have to admit, I never played the first Sonic, so I'm really excited about that.
Bragatyr
Sage
Sage

Postby Wolf Bird » Mon Mar 10, '14, 4:18 am

If you find Crusader of Centy, pick that up. Fantastic RPG.

Wolf Bird

Postby myau56 » Mon Mar 10, '14, 10:22 am

Right, Crusader of Centy (like I've said before : Ragnacenty in japan and Soleil (Sun) in Europe :) ) is so great ! A game I've finished on my beloved megadrive ! Great Zelda like :)
Having a Genesis is so great ! I still have my Megadrive, even if I haven't played it for a very very long time..(except on emulator of course, with my PSIV game ;) )
Yes, if you can find both of them : Beyond Oasis AND centy ...BINGO ! ^^
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby Dragonmaster Lou » Mon Mar 10, '14, 1:41 pm

Last retro game I played through was the original Castle of Illusion on Genesis, mostly because I haven't had time to do anything more in depth (hey, I'm a relatively recent first time dad here, lol).
Dragonmaster Lou
Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Achievements: 15

Postby Bragatyr » Mon Mar 10, '14, 2:14 pm

Wow, Crusader of Centy must be pretty rare, there are only two copies on Ebay at the moment and Amazon is totally out of them. I've never even heard of that game, ha ha, I'm obviously totally out of the loop on Genesis games. Didn't remember Castle of Illusion, either. You'd figure I'd have read about them in game magazines back in the day or something. I only had like a handful of Genesis games back in the day, I really love the variety of the library on the system.
Bragatyr
Sage
Sage

PreviousNext

Return to Retro Roundup