Your Last Retro Game

Remembering the games of yesteryear.

Re: Your Last Retro Game

Postby R-90-2 » Thu Mar 14, '13, 11:54 pm

Hammered through some Phantasy Star III for review purposes. It's one of the few retro RPGs where my opinion has gone up over time rather than stayed the same (Phantasy Star IV, Earthbound) or gone down (Dragon Warrior, Final Fantasy IV.)
Last edited by R-90-2 on Thu Mar 14, '13, 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do not say: How is it that former times were better than these? For it is not out of wisdom that you ask about this. Ecclesiastes 7:10
ImageImageImageImage
R-90-2
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 78

Postby Wing Eye » Wed Mar 20, '13, 9:45 am

Does anyone consider Gameboy Advance retro? I do! Just played through Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance. It has a fantastic castle design and if it wasn't for the lack of weapon upgrades, it would be one of my favorite in the series.
Check out my Phantasy Star parody comic
http://www.theduckwebcomics.com/Phantasy_Star_Replay
Wing Eye
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 297

Postby Xeno » Thu Apr 11, '13, 10:48 am

Whew... It warms my heart to see that there are so many here who like retro games!

I don't think I have a single game that was released post 2005 (except for the latest Final Fantasies and Star Ocean: The Last Hope... didn't like either of them). If remakes do count, then the last retro games I played were Star Ocean: First Departure and Second Evolution. I really recommend them - they're really fun, even if a bit repetitive. :D

On original cartridges, the last games I played were Star Ocean (SNES), Phantasy Star II (GEN) and Lufia II: Rise of The Sinistrals (SNES). Anyone played Lufia or Star Ocean?

It's a shame most shops only sell Call of Duty these days! It corrupts the modern generation, IMO! Retro games are so fun and you can actually LEARN a lot from them! :)
Nei deserved better.

Current project: Phantasy Star - The Age of Numans
Xeno
Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Achievements: 34

Postby myau56 » Thu Apr 11, '13, 9:40 pm

My last retro game was Greendog on Megadrive ! I've played this one some years before and it's a cool game ! Not a chef d'œuvre but a good game ! Need to play Kid Chameleon again ! ^^
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby R-90-2 » Sun Jul 14, '13, 8:14 pm

Decided to dig back into the NES pile and plow through WURM: Journey to the Center of the Earth.

Gameplay not inspiring, but the monster encounters where you need to conference with the crew to figure out how to destroy them were okay, and something I'd liked to have seen in more Star Trek games.

On the upside-
Drill Tanks!
Pulp Adventures beneath the surface of the Earth!
Female protagonist who's an accepted authority figure!
Do not say: How is it that former times were better than these? For it is not out of wisdom that you ask about this. Ecclesiastes 7:10
ImageImageImageImage
R-90-2
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 78

Postby Wolf Bird » Sun Jul 14, '13, 10:38 pm

I guess you can count my last retro game as being Bomberman on the Sega Saturn. We play that game in 2 on 2 teams a lot when I'm visiting my boyfriend's brother's place, who's a BIG retro gaming nerd. We did that last night. It's quite fun for a few rounds, but I'm willing to admit that the ONE SINGLE TUNE that plays during rounds gets grating pretty fast as it's on constant loop.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby tilinelson2 » Tue Jul 16, '13, 2:45 am

I am currently playing a retro game (from early 90s) whose sole mention would get me banned from these forums :p
A person only sees and hears what he wants to see and hear and disregards the rest.
tilinelson2
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 277

Postby Atlinsmere » Tue Jul 16, '13, 9:37 pm

My last retro game. Crash Team Racing for Playstation. Epic fun to be had in that game
A simple text based signature? That's impossible!
Atlinsmere

Achievements: 392

Postby Wolf Bird » Sat Jul 20, '13, 5:19 pm

I'm not sure if I'm devoted or insane. I started playing EarthBound this morning (until my boyfriend and I determined that my power brick is, indeed, shot - fortunately, we can replace it today). I decided I'll do a regular playthrough AND keep a separate save for a 1/128 and all-photos run. I did that on a ROM already...and it took me upwards of a year and a half to finish, using save states. Now to try it on a cart.

I MUST be insane.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby myau56 » Sun Jan 12, '14, 6:47 pm

tilinelson2 wrote:I am currently playing a retro game (from early 90s) whose sole mention would get me banned from these forums :p

:rofl: I think I can guess what type of game it can be ! lol ;)
My last retro game was Decap Attack ! I've started to tried it and then continue playing over and over ! Very good Platform game on the megadrive :)
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

PreviousNext

Return to Retro Roundup