Your favorite pieces of game music

Discussing all the gaming matters not covered in the other forums.

Re: Your favorite pieces of game music

Postby Wolf Bird » Sat Jan 17, '15, 3:53 pm

So I only recently found this one, but now I've decided to revive this topic to share it (and see if any new members have pieces to share!)

Now I haven't finished this game, and I'm probably going to restart it on PC since I got the whole franchise (except the newest installment) on Steam sale. But it's the Far Cry 3 main theme (with a close up shot of Vaas's lovely face).

Though Vaas is a GREAT villain.

And here's one from The Last of Us that I somehow neglected to share. It's the music that plays at the very end of the intro, when Sarah dies.

Last edited by Wolf Bird on Sat Jan 17, '15, 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby R-90-2 » Mon Feb 23, '15, 1:43 am

So, Shovel Knight probably has the best 8-Bit soundtrack on a game that was never actually on the NES- which does kinda fit, as Jake Kaufman basically got his start by doing remixes and reimagined tracks of music from other NES games. A few samples.

Strike the Earth- Intro Stage

Underlying problem- Mole Knight's stage

The Defender- Black Knight fight 3

Do not say: How is it that former times were better than these? For it is not out of wisdom that you ask about this. Ecclesiastes 7:10
ImageImageImageImage
R-90-2
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 78

Postby Snorb » Mon Feb 23, '15, 3:00 pm

Drakkhen, the first RPG on the SNES, is a port of the Amiga original with some added music. While the port's of... dubious quality at times, the music is very atmospheric.

Character Creation
Air Area (Day)
Air Area (Night)
Water Area (Day)
Water Area (Night)
Earth Area (Day)
Earth Area (Night)
Fire Area (Day)
Fire Area (Night)

Now, the Quest For Glory series is one of my favorite roleplaying game series ever, as I've mentioned in other topics. Even though my personal favorite of the five games is the Arabian Nights-inspited Trial By Fire, the perennial favorite of the series is Shadows of Darkness, an adventure inspired by Slavic folklore and Transylvanian stories. It has a very good soundtrack composed by Aubrey Hodges, as I'll demonstrate here.

Yes, that is indeed the music you get to listen to character creation. Or if you want, you can import a character from a previous game (or do what I did and use a Windows .ini file to give yourself 11000 Strength in a game where the stat cap is 400). Considering the game's narrator is John Rhys-Davies (yes, THAT John Rhys-Davies!) even his "Please insert your saved character disk from any of the first three Quest For Glory games into the disk drive so that your hero can make the journey to Quest For Glory: Shadows of Darkness." is epic-sounding.
Last edited by Snorb on Mon Feb 23, '15, 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Read my social stuff!
The ramblings of an oldish geezer on Facebook.
@SnorbESnorb on Twitter. The "E" stands for "Everything."

Play my games!
The ArrrPG - A game I made about being a pirate. This be a first draft, matey! Though it plays just fine, clap yer eyes on th' eventual Revised an' Expanded Edition and you'll be pleased, by thunder!

Nakama: A Card Game of Magical Girls - A completely un-playtested card game about being a magical girl.

Well, excuse me while I defy all laws of logic and common sense and do it anyway.
Snorb

Achievements: 124

Postby Neifirst » Mon Mar 9, '15, 5:44 am

Snorb wrote:Drakkhen, the first RPG on the SNES, is a port of the Amiga original with some added music. While the port's of... dubious quality at times, the music is very atmospheric.

Character Creation
Air Area (Day)
Air Area (Night)
Water Area (Day)
Water Area (Night)
Earth Area (Day)
Earth Area (Night)
Fire Area (Day)
Fire Area (Night)

Now, the Quest For Glory series is one of my favorite roleplaying game series ever, as I've mentioned in other topics. Even though my personal favorite of the five games is the Arabian Nights-inspited Trial By Fire, the perennial favorite of the series is Shadows of Darkness, an adventure inspired by Slavic folklore and Transylvanian stories. It has a very good soundtrack composed by Aubrey Hodges, as I'll demonstrate here.

Yes, that is indeed the music you get to listen to character creation. Or if you want, you can import a character from a previous game (or do what I did and use a Windows .ini file to give yourself 11000 Strength in a game where the stat cap is 400). Considering the game's narrator is John Rhys-Davies (yes, THAT John Rhys-Davies!) even his "Please insert your saved character disk from any of the first three Quest For Glory games into the disk drive so that your hero can make the journey to Quest For Glory: Shadows of Darkness." is epic-sounding.

Wow, I never heard of it but I want to play that game now :)! I love the music.

Idk if it's just me, but sometimes music can be a huge part of games for me and can really make something. I love so many, but here's a few I like:

Sonic Level Select Music This takes me back to the seventh grade for some reason. I loved this one.

Sailor Moon: Another Story Moment Of Sadness I never heard this in the actual SHOW but I love it.

Shining Force: Battle (I just love anything that has to do with Shining Force)

Phantasy Star II (Death Place) Go Figure... I'm posting this on a Phantasy Star forum :lol:
Phamtasy Star: Nero's Death
Breath of Fire: In a Cave
Dragon Warrior Monsters Battle Theme
Crystalis: Mt. Sabre

Those are just a few :]
Last edited by Neifirst on Mon Mar 9, '15, 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neifirst
Shopkeeper
Shopkeeper

Achievements: 20

Postby Wolf Bird » Tue Mar 10, '15, 7:16 pm

While it's far from perfect, I think Remember Me is a criminally underrated game. And it had a great soundtrack to boot.

Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Postby Bragatyr » Tue Mar 10, '15, 9:54 pm

Neifirst, you have some awesome taste in video game music. I haven't played all of those games, but from the ones I have a lot of the ones you listed are my faves. The Sonic 3 level select music is so catchy and awesome, definitely one I could never forget, I love Death Place, and In a Cave and Mt. Sabre are by far my faves from those games. I actually love In a Cave so much I've done a cover of it. I learned Mt. Sabre on piano a while back but never got around to recording it.
Bragatyr
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 65

Postby Neifirst » Fri Mar 13, '15, 3:16 am

Bragatyr wrote:Neifirst, you have some awesome taste in video game music. I haven't played all of those games, but from the ones I have a lot of the ones you listed are my faves. The Sonic 3 level select music is so catchy and awesome, definitely one I could never forget, I love Death Place, and In a Cave and Mt. Sabre are by far my faves from those games. I actually love In a Cave so much I've done a cover of it. I learned Mt. Sabre on piano a while back but never got around to recording it.

Thank you. <3!
I have always loved older game music. I feel like a lot of newer games go for a more film -score-esque thing that I'm not crazy about.
I kind of fool around with instruments so much that I end up playing half of it, haha
It's really refreshing to hear music in games that are good outside of their games; it really changes things.
Death place is seriously one of the best things I've heard

About the Sonic. 3 soundtrack, Michael Jackson had so much involvement with the soundtrack I wonder if he had anything to do with it :?
Neifirst
Shopkeeper
Shopkeeper

Achievements: 20

Postby Aeroprism » Fri Mar 13, '15, 12:01 pm

Neifirst wrote:Death place is seriously one of the best things I've heard

Agreed. This is why I spent years working on what came to be one of my best remixes.
Aeroprism
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 95

Postby R-90-2 » Fri Mar 13, '15, 2:46 pm

Yep, old game music needs lub too.

While most folks over here are only familiar with the Turbo-CD version of Valis II, the original version for the PC-8801 produced some of my favorite stage tracks in action games.

Stage 1- Tokyo
Pearlmont Wink

Stage 2- Sondern's Lair
Sentimental Soldier

Stage 6- Dark World Core
Against Black Shadow
Do not say: How is it that former times were better than these? For it is not out of wisdom that you ask about this. Ecclesiastes 7:10
ImageImageImageImage
R-90-2
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 78

Postby Wolf Bird » Sat Mar 14, '15, 2:59 am

Neifirst wrote:I have always loved older game music. I feel like a lot of newer games go for a more film -score-esque thing that I'm not crazy about.

This is kind of an interesting point to me. I do think the film-score character of music in modern games is pretty true. But I can most definitely appreciate that kind of music when it fits a game and is good, but I can also get why you might not be crazy about it. That said, I love old game soundtracks too. I should really find some music from Crusader of Centy to post, that game has a few excellent tracks. Fit's a big deal to me with game music, no matter what year a game came out.

Neifirst wrote:It's really refreshing to hear music in games that are good outside of their games; it really changes things.

This is 100% spot on. Game soundtracks abound in my music library.

So, here are some bits from older games.

Spyro the Dragon - Lofty Castle. This is my favorite track from the first Spyro game. It's just strange and floaty. Stewart Copeland composed the music for the original Spyro trilogy.

Crusader of Centy - Castle Freesia. Love this track. One of my two favorites in this great game.

Crusader of Centy - Black Night. Other of my two favorites from that game.

Ratchet & Clank - Veldin (end game). Love this sort-of creepy track, really works well for the final level of the game.
Last edited by Wolf Bird on Sat Mar 14, '15, 2:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

Wolf Bird

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming