Your favorite pieces of game music

Discussing all the gaming matters not covered in the other forums.

Re: Your favorite pieces of game music

Postby Bragatyr » Fri Apr 18, '14, 2:21 am

Absolutely, Metroid Prime is a monstrously good game, I really think one of the best games in the last fifteen years or so. myau, what is your favorite song from the game? I think there is such awesome music in the Prime series.
Bragatyr
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 65

Postby myau56 » Fri Apr 18, '14, 12:30 pm

Yes, I agree, one of the best ! With Bisoshock (1 and 2) and Virtue's Last Reward (and all the Ace Attorneys of course !! :) ). My favourite song in the game ? I'll try to listen to them this evening and I'll complete my answer ! Ok ? See you in a few hours ! :)
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby R-90-2 » Sat Apr 19, '14, 10:26 pm

myau56 wrote:R-90-2 : this Touhou stage theme is excellent ! Didn't know about it but this music is great ! :)

That's fair- even though there are multitudes of translation patches, the Touhou series hasn't gotten an official release in the West. The latter might change in the near future, but I wouldn't hold one's breath yet.

Back to subject- Okay, so while the mechanics of the Double Dragon beat'em up series have been on the iffy side at times, Technos was no slouch at soundtracks. Double Dragon was eventually picked up by Way Forward entertainment, who have been pretty good at "remastering" older games and putting them in the hands of the modern day, such as their work with Contra 4 and Ducktales- and they have a particular composer, Jake Kaufman, who is super-good at playing with older game tracks. The intersection of Jake Kaufman and a soundtrack that was already pretty good? That's what got us the soundtrack of Double Dragon Neon. While it's all really good stuff, here are my special faves from that.

Title theme- Dead or Alive

The Double Dragon theme. Made awesome but still recognizable. My favorite thing about this track is that if you listen well enough, you can hear that Jake actually used some of the FM chip notes from the original Double Dragon 1 arcade version of this piece.

Tube Riding

A surf mix of the final level theme from Double Dragon 1. Appropriate, because during this part of the level, you're surfing down an underground ice slope on the body of the plant/shark/T-Rex hybrid that was the previous level's boss.

Stage 2- Mango tango

Considering that Double Dragon Neon is about embracing a whole lot of '80s, something like this was inevitable. Again, though, Jake is good at what he does.
Do not say: How is it that former times were better than these? For it is not out of wisdom that you ask about this. Ecclesiastes 7:10
ImageImageImageImage
R-90-2
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 78

Postby Bragatyr » Sat Apr 19, '14, 11:25 pm

I love the Double Dragon II soundtrack, and III's is good, too. Hard to beat II, though. I still gotta play the first game.
Bragatyr
Sage
Sage

Postby S4Blade » Sat Apr 19, '14, 11:39 pm

Oh man, I looooove those first 2 Double Dragon track remakes R-90-2 . I played so much Double Dragon back in the day at the arcade and on Mame. Double Dragon Neon is on my list of games to get, but I might have to get it sooner than later now.

I'm going to post quite possibly my favorite MMO theme. It's from Lineage 2. It's an older MMO, and most people don't know that it has a stellar soundtrack. This is the Talking Island Village theme, which was the starter zone for the human race. I say "was" because they destroyed all of the different races' starter zones in the "Goddess of Destruction" update and now all of the races start in the same zone. Big mistake if you ask me.

I really do love this song, so mellow and cheerful.

Currently Playing: Nothing

S4Blade
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 39

Postby myau56 » Sun Apr 20, '14, 3:30 pm

BRAGATYR : I love the "Tallon Overworld" music ! So great soundtrack...but there is surely plenty of other great musics but I can't remember exactly :)
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Postby Wolf Bird » Sun Apr 20, '14, 7:55 pm

Tallon Overworld was one of my favorites from Metroid Prime, for sure.

How could I have forgotten Shadow of the Colossus for this long in a music thread? For shame! (on me)

This is a calming track, plays for several of the colossi, generally the ones that aren't directly aggressive and you have to figure out how to approach them and get on them.

This epic little bit plays for some of the colossi after you've gotten on them and they're desperately trying to get you off!

This is the track that plays on the final colossus.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Bragatyr » Tue Apr 22, '14, 2:00 am

Tallon Overworld is absolutely amazing, I actually love both versions of it. The first one is really uplifting and heroic, and the second one is dark and ethereal. I'm going to post some of my other faves from Metroid Prime (and Prime 2 and 3) soon.
Bragatyr
Sage
Sage

Postby myau56 » Tue Apr 22, '14, 9:13 pm

Bragatyr wrote:Tallon Overworld is absolutely amazing, I actually love both versions of it. The first one is really uplifting and heroic, and the second one is dark and ethereal. I'm going to post some of my other faves from Metroid Prime (and Prime 2 and 3) soon.
Yes ! What (a) great track(s)....both of them are great ! I'm listening to them now and it's so good...
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Postby Bragatyr » Tue Apr 22, '14, 11:00 pm

Two of my Metroid Prime faves...

And one of my many faves from the incredible soundtrack of Secret of Evermore, composed by Jeremy Soule.

Bragatyr
Sage
Sage

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming