Your favorite pieces of game music

Discussing all the gaming matters not covered in the other forums.

Re: Your favorite pieces of game music

Postby myau56 » Mon Apr 14, '14, 11:18 am

VISTABLADE : a fan of SOA ? A great man ! Yes, this game is awesome...I've played the original on my beloved Dreamcast and that was so great ! I've succeeded in my search of the wonderful Skies of Arcadia Limited Box (and I still have it ! A chef d'œuvre as it can't be sold :) ) and then I've bought Skies of Arcadia Legend on the GC but I haven't played it..just for my collection ! But with more time on my hands, maybe that one day...this games deserves it !
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby S4Blade » Mon Apr 14, '14, 10:46 pm

myau56 wrote:VISTABLADE : a fan of SOA ? A great man ! Yes, this game is awesome...I've played the original on my beloved Dreamcast and that was so great ! I've succeeded in my search of the wonderful Skies of Arcadia Limited Box (and I still have it ! A chef d'œuvre as it can't be sold :) ) and then I've bought Skies of Arcadia Legend on the GC but I haven't played it..just for my collection ! But with more time on my hands, maybe that one day...this games deserves it !

Woah, I never even knew the Skies of Arcadia Limited Box existed. That's pretty cool. Good job on finding that.

Skies of Arcadia Legends is a pretty good remake. There are new bounties to capture (which fit into the game very well), there are more weapons to find, and new world boss type enemies which you can choose to fight whenever you want to. You can also skip some of the longer skill animations if you choose to (like Pirate's Wrath). I was quite impressed with the remake. However, there is one thing that you need to know. When converting the 2 disk Dreamcast game to a 1 disk Gamecube game, they made a big sacrifice. The music. They chopped the quailty of the music, so it doesn't sound as good. It's softer and much less noticeable. The tracks are still great, but you can just tell that they have been changed for the worse.
Last edited by S4Blade on Mon Apr 14, '14, 10:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Currently Playing: Nothing

S4Blade
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 39

Postby Wolf Bird » Tue Apr 15, '14, 1:17 pm

Ok, I finally got caught up on these. There are some really great tunes here, most of which I've never heard.

I think this is about as metal as the SNES could get. This is the first theme that plays during the fight against Giygas in EarthBound.

Switching gears, at least a little Red Dead Redemption…for the most part, I don't think the music in this game is outstanding, but it is a great fit and a good mood-fitter. But then there's this song at the very end after you take on the last mission as Jack, John Marston's son, to get revenge for the US Army killing your father.

And a little more of The Last of Us. This is the main theme, which plays during the opening credits after the prologue, in which Joel's daughter Sarah dies in his arms after getting shot by a soldier because of orders to contain the Cordyceps at any cost. You also hear news reports about cities placed under martial law as the fungus spreads, and how health agencies completely fail to develop any cures or vaccines for the infection.
Last edited by Wolf Bird on Tue Apr 15, '14, 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby myau56 » Tue Apr 15, '14, 9:24 pm

You really didn't know about this Limited Edition ? This edition isn't very hard to find ! So if you want to try to have it...
I didn't remember about the sacrifice with the musics :( But I have to test it someday :)
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Postby R-90-2 » Wed Apr 16, '14, 10:17 pm

Okay, I'll leave a Touhou stage theme for the road.

TH11 Stage 5-

Going back to games that are actually easily available in the West, I'd like to throw out what's actually probably my favorite top-down shooters overall, the Tale of ALLTYNEX games. Not just because Siter Skain knows how to gameplay, but they also know how to music.

ALLTYNEX 2nd- Encounter

Probably one of the best 1st-Stage themes I've heard out of shmups in a while- Darius Burst's "Goodbye My Earth" is close, but this does take it.

RefleX- Virgo Type-R

It's hard to classify this as a stage theme or a boss theme, as stage 7 is basically an 8-minute long continuous boss fight against ZODIAC Virgo. It's a wonderfully oppressive boss theme for a boss that the player can only barely damage at the start, and becomes doubly so because during the fight ZODIAC Virgo's overwhelming attacks actually kill the pilot of the player's fighter, the Phoenix, forcing the player's ship to awaken as the automated apocalyptic machine ZODIAC Ophiuchus.

Kamui- Heritage Memory

Kamui was the first game published, but is also the last game in the trilogy chronology- if you forget that the original ALLTYNEX was published before Kamui was. Either way, though this is a rather impressive track for the final confrontation with the ALLTYNEX OS, and is a fun boss fight anyways- as your fighter has an AI pilot, the first two phases of the fight involve fighting off ALLTYNEX's attempts to hack and control the player directly.

Edit: correct tags added.
Last edited by R-90-2 on Fri Apr 18, '14, 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Do not say: How is it that former times were better than these? For it is not out of wisdom that you ask about this. Ecclesiastes 7:10
ImageImageImageImage
R-90-2
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 78

Postby Bragatyr » Wed Apr 16, '14, 10:33 pm

Probably the most beautiful theme in gaming in a long time.

One of my favorite title screen themes. Chanting always works for me.

I always love Mega Man. Concrete Man is definitely one of the more bombastically dazzling songs in the series in quite a while.
Bragatyr
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 65

Postby Wolf Bird » Wed Apr 16, '14, 11:33 pm

Ahh, the Metroid Prime title screen…memories. Excellent choice. But in my opinion, still not as good as The Last of Us title screen music, which is the first one I posted to get this thread going. Still definitely a good one, and incredibly iconic anymore.

Here's a little more Red Dead Redemption, with the main theme. Like most of the music in Red Dead, quite the mood setter and perfect for the wild west.

As sad as a lot of the music from The Last of Us is, in terms of sadness, it STILL does not hold a candle to the last battle theme you hear in Mother 3, when Lucas is battling his long-missing twin brother Claus, and Claus ultimately commits suicide and dies in Lucas' arms. Seriously, listen to this one to the end to hear the full evolution.
Last edited by Wolf Bird on Wed Apr 16, '14, 11:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Postby Bragatyr » Thu Apr 17, '14, 1:40 am

I found that the Metroid Prime main theme fit the atmosphere of the game so well (it helped that the opening cinematic was so gorgeous and psychedelic), and the song itself is just really mysterious and eerie, definitely a contender for best title theme in my opinion. I haven't played The Last of Us, but the intro music is a little too droning for my tastes, the bass is pretty but there's just not a whole lot going on in it.
Bragatyr
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 65

Postby Wolf Bird » Thu Apr 17, '14, 2:21 am

The Metroid Prime theme definitely fits game well and I like it for all the reasons you mentioned. Maybe I'm just not as into chanting as a whole. ;) As for The Last of Us, if minimalist music (and some droning, especially the undertones) isn't your thing, then you won't like a lot of it. But again, part of what I love about it is how well it fits the tone of the game. Especially that main menu theme. Having played the game (not finished it, but I will once I work up the will…), I really think it would've failed if the soundtrack got too bombastic. I'm will to admit that in music/game soundtracks, I often like music I otherwise wouldn't if it helps to set a good mood or fits really well. Red Dead Redemption is probably the best example of that.

The other piece I posted from the Last of Us, though, is not nearly as droning, it's mostly acoustic.

Wolf Bird

Postby myau56 » Thu Apr 17, '14, 9:49 pm

Ah !!!The Metroid Prime main title theme is so great ! Nice choice ! :)And this game is so great :) Awesome memories playing it :)
R-90-2 : this Touhou stage theme is excellent ! Didn't know about it but this music is great ! :)
Last edited by myau56 on Thu Apr 17, '14, 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming