Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ] 

What's your favorite classic Castlevania game?
Castlevania (NES) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest (NES) 57%  57%  [ 4 ]
Castlevania 3: Dracula's Curse (NES) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Super Castlevania IV (SNES) 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
Castlevania: Bloodlines (MD) 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
Castlevania: The Adventure (GB) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Castleania 2: Belmont's Revenge (GB) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Other (specify) 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 7
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, '10, 8:59 am 
Symphony of the Night and games after that aren't included, because that's where they started adding RPG elements to all the games along with non-linear progression. And this is where, I think, the era of classic Castlevania ends. I am aware that a few less known titles aren't included either.

For me, it's Castlevania: Bloodlines, the uncensored version naturally. In my opinion, the control was the best in that one, out of all the classics. The challenge is just right with three difficulty levels, and the music is the very best you can get with the Genesis sound chip. Traveling in many locations around Europe adds to the atmosphere, too.

Last edited by Solar on Fri Oct 22, '10, 4:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, '10, 3:29 pm 
I always had a blast with the SNES Super Castlevania 4. It was the only one I actually beat, although I admittedly used a few cheat codes here and there. It was loads of fun. Other than that, I only played a little of Castlevania for the original Gameboy, Simon's Quest, and Bloodlines.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, '10, 3:39 pm 
Castlevania 2 also has rpg elements. It was close between that and bloodlines. I picked castlevania 2. SOTN is my favorite game ever though. I've played through over a dozen times over several versions.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, '10, 4:10 pm 
I gotta say Castlevania III- Castlevania II was just plain awful, I was too tough, but III just came together all perfectly and awesome. (The fact that Dawn of Sorrow's bonus mode plays like Castlevania III doesn't hurt, either, and Dawn of Sorrow's my favorite Castlevania game ever, so yeah.)

I never tried the GBClassic Castlevanias, but hey, I have a Game Boy emulator, why not?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, '10, 4:59 pm 
Snorb wrote:
I never tried the GBClassic Castlevanias, but hey, I have a Game Boy emulator, why not?

Neither did I, in fact I've never played a classic Gameboy game. Maybe it's the black-and-white graphics that turn me off.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, '10, 5:57 pm 
Well actually it's not so much black and white (that was game boy pocket), the first gameboy was more creamed spinach green and yellow, it was blurry as hell too, but I didn't realize how blurry it was until I saw the pocket.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, '10, 6:56 pm 
Dracula X for PC-Engine CD wins hands-down for me. I'm not a huge fan of the classic Castlevania games because I didn't care for the controls. The soundtrack and visuals on Dracula X are so amazing that I can put the controls aside and really enjoy the game.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, '10, 11:29 pm 
I LOVE Simon's Quest, its the only classic Castlevania that I still replay from time to time, I think it deserves a remake.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 5, '10, 3:43 pm 
Simon's Quest too. It's broken, badly translated, way too cryptic in what needs to be done. But my god I love this game for the true root of the Metroidvania it is (and the awesome Bloody Tear)

Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]