You have the power to end one game series, what would it be?

Discussing all the gaming matters not covered in the other forums.

Re: You have the power to end one game series, what would it

Postby S4Blade » Wed Apr 2, '14, 10:48 pm

myau56 wrote:Without a doubt, the GTA serie ! I hate this one and will always hate it ! But I'm sure It's gonna last a VERY long time !

I agree with you on GTA myau56. It would probably be next on my list. I'm not a fan of this series at all. I have respect for the freedom it offers, but I think they are way overrated.
Currently Playing: Nothing

S4Blade
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 39

Postby Hukos » Sat Apr 5, '14, 9:46 pm

I also wouldn't want any series to be forcibly "ended". That just seems rather cruel to me. That's like saying x band should be forced to retire because some people don't like their musical direction. That feels very cruel and narrow-minded to me.

I'll defend a few franchises that were mentioned in this thread if you guys don't mind.

GTA - To those of you who hate this series, have you ever seen a really good mob movie? The entire franchise is a love letter to mafia movie subculture, and that's what makes the series really enjoyable and special. It's easy to demean the series as a mindless third person shooter with a lot of freedom, but it's a lot more than that if you're familiar with the movies and the settings that the franchise is riffing off of.

Sonic - I wholeheartedly disagree that the franchise hasn't had a good game in a long time. Is the franchise still extremely inconsistent? Absolutely.
It's a "you never know what you're gonna get" type of series.

While I do agree the series was abysmal in the mid 2000's (You won't hear me defend that era at all), the franchise has picked itself up a bit and I think the idea that it hasn't had a good game in forever is a bit of a misnomer.

- Unleashed was a solid game, if flawed in it's werehog sections (They don't play awfully, but they're not really necessary).
- Colors was one of the most critically acclaimed games in the series in a long time and a complete breath of fresh air for most people.
- Generations may be best described as a nostalgia cash crab, but it's one that still plays very well and is a lot of fun.
- While I dislike S4 Episode 1, I thought Episode 2 was a huge improvement and tightened up things that needed tightening.
I haven't played Lost World but from what I hear it's a very hit or miss type of game.

The series definitely isn't perfect, even now but I think it's unfair to paint the games I described as being the same quality as dredge like Shadow or Sonic 06 (Which are what people generally think about when they say the series is trash). There's improvements the games I listed could make sure, but I think stopping the franchise where it is now would be a mistake, given the ground they've made in improvements.

Final Fantasy - I think most of the ire at this series right now is aimed at the FFXIII trilogy, which is unfortunate because I think focusing one's hatred on a small section of games that don't entirely define an entire franchise is very good. FFXV could be completely different from the FFXIII games and be the kind of jrpg people have been wanting for a while, or it might not be. That's what makes FF interesting is how different games are. I'd hate to see this series end too.

Sorry for going on and on ;)
I feel the way you would
Hukos
Android
Android

Achievements: 41

Postby myau56 » Sat Apr 5, '14, 9:59 pm

For me, Sonic is still a great serie BUT the last one, Lost World on my 3DS, is indeed a hit and miss one ! That is very frustrating... maybe one day I'll continue it but for the moment...but Sonic is a great serie indeed !

But not GTA ! I'll continue to say that this serie is crap ! Even if it's tied to mafia movie subculture ! But for those who loves it, great for you !
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby Bragatyr » Sun Apr 6, '14, 4:34 am

I actually haven't played any of the recent Sonic games, I gotta correct that some time, I really like the older games in the series. I heard Colors and Lost World were really interesting, and they look pretty nice from Youtube videos I've seen, so I really wanna check them out.
Bragatyr
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 65

Postby Hukos » Sun Apr 6, '14, 5:28 pm

Bragatyr wrote:I actually haven't played any of the recent Sonic games, I gotta correct that some time, I really like the older games in the series. I heard Colors and Lost World were really interesting, and they look pretty nice from Youtube videos I've seen, so I really wanna check them out.

I can't vouch for Lost World, but Colors I can vouch for. It's a pretty damn good game whose only real crippling flaw is that it's a really short game.
I feel the way you would
Hukos
Android
Android

Postby S4Blade » Sun Apr 6, '14, 8:13 pm

They still make Sonic games?

Just kidding, I know they do, but I have not played one since the Genesis. I don't really like them.
Currently Playing: Nothing

S4Blade
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 39

Postby myau56 » Mon Apr 7, '14, 8:33 pm

I'm a big Sonic fan and I've tried both colours and lost world : the first one is great but for the moment...the second one is not so good for me ! (on my 3DS) but maybe if I continue to play it later ? For the moment... :(
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Postby Hukos » Mon Apr 7, '14, 8:44 pm

myau56 wrote:I'm a big Sonic fan and I've tried both colours and lost world : the first one is great but for the moment...the second one is not so good for me ! (on my 3DS) but maybe if I continue to play it later ? For the moment... :(

From what I understand from the people that have played it, the Wii U version is a lot better than the 3DS one.

And the Wii U version is still a very hit or miss kind of game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMfakO0jmr4

It's a review of the game from a guy that generally shares my opinions on the franchise, so you can get a better view of it.
I feel the way you would
Hukos
Android
Android

Postby myau56 » Mon Apr 7, '14, 8:59 pm

I know that a lot of people seems to prefer the WII U version of Sonic Lost World ! But I don't have a WII U and will surely never have ;) So this 3DS version is the only I've tried and to me tit's not a great game (too difficult ! :( )
Thanks for the link ! I'm gonna Watch it :)
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Previous

Return to General Gaming