to re-write timelines, how would you do it?

Remixes and original creations by fans - as games, audio, videos or other forms - shine in this spotlight.

to re-write timelines, how would you do it?

Postby Rulakir » Wed Jan 30, '13, 3:47 pm

Ok, so, I'm looking for true fan inspiration to help me to re-write the timelines of all four classic PS games for my fan game project. In short, imagine that all four games took place concurrently, with only decades in between instead of millennia. How does one do this? What would fans be most happy with? What would make the most sense? Here is the layout as it stands at the moment in my re-write.

Year 342: Alis embarks on her quest to defeat Lashiec (Lassic.) At this point, Alisa III has already been built by the young Mother Brain as an experimental Biosphere, a second Biosphere, on Mota, is newly established (PS2's Mota)

Year 365: Rolf is haunted by the memories of Alis' battle, Rolf's quest takes place in the Motavian Biosphere, and we never see the 'outside' of Mota (PS1's Mota)

At this time, after the battle with Neifirst, we switch to a new scenario

Year 366: Whilst Rolf battles for Mota, the Alisa III is floating deeper into space, Rhys embarks on his journey to save Maia from his Layan enemies.

Now, after he beats Cille, we jump again to Rolf.

Year 366: Rolf activates the dams and begins his final quest to confront Mother Brain. Palma is destroyed. This also allows me to replace Tyler with Odin, a cameo so to speak, since Odin would only be 24 years older than his PS1 self.

We now jump forward again.

Year 381: Rhys is married and has a son, second generation takes flight here. After the end of the second generation, we switch to Mota, the 'PS1' version, after the Mother Brain has let go of everything and the world has fallen into decay, Chaz begins his journey here.

I'm still not sure where or how 3rd Generation integrates. Also not sure of the lineage of certain characters. Where does Orakio/Laya fit? Pre PS1 would seem to work, but I will have to further explore who Orakio and Laya were in order for it to make sense.

Also I can actually make Wren in PS3 and 4 the same cyborg, since I can easily have a section of the Alisa III crash land on Mota. 15-20 years before the PS4 events.

It's all so difficult to smoothly integrate lol I would like some suggestions or direction on how to meld aspects of the story, so that I can add conversation pieces into Alis' chapter that foreshadow events and point to the greater story overall.
Rulakir
Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Achievements: 21

Re: to re-write timelines, how would you do it?

Postby Aeroprism » Wed Jan 30, '13, 3:50 pm

Am I to understand that you wish to jump between games? Meaning, insteado f playing 1-2-3-4, you jump from one to the other and then back into an older one, playing chapter after chapter?

If that is what you mean, I can say two things:

1- Very interesting, would make the gameplay and storytelling extremely fun ro re-experience.

2- VERY hard to pull off, plan ahead, plan a lot.
Aeroprism
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 95

Postby Atlinsmere » Wed Jan 30, '13, 6:25 pm

Basically I have to agree with Aero on this one. This is a very interesting idea but would be very hard to pull off.

It's pretty interesting how you are working everything in, for the Alisa III to work properly, it would have needed, probably one to three hundred years head start before the series begins so people on this ship forget that it's a biosphere. Then if you add in the generation system, you can add in about another hundred years between PSI and PSIV. BAsically the only way to make PSIII's generation system is to have it start from the beginning of the game.

Thus the time lime would look something like this. this is just summarizing your idea and adding my idea in.

AW 150 - Alisa III gets sent into space
AW 342 - Alis quest start, Rhys quest start
AW 365 - Rolf quest start, PSIII second Gen
AW 366 - Rolf finishes quest
AW 381 - PSIV start, get up to Rika
AW 381 - PSIII third gen, make an ending of Alisa III crashing on Motavia (AKA Wreckage)
Aw 382 - finish PSIV
A simple text based signature? That's impossible!
Atlinsmere

Achievements: 392

Postby Aeroprism » Wed Jan 30, '13, 6:43 pm

Atlinsmere wrote:Thus the time lime would look something like this. this is just summarizing your idea and adding my idea in.

Aeroprism
Numan
Numan

Postby Atlinsmere » Wed Jan 30, '13, 11:46 pm

Coming from you Aero, I'll take that as a compliment. =D
A simple text based signature? That's impossible!
Atlinsmere

Achievements: 392

Postby Rulakir » Thu Jan 31, '13, 5:48 am

Indeed, that's something I didn't factor in (hence why I posted this topic)

Here is the current chapter layout:
Chapter 1: The Tyrant King (Alis)
Chapter 2: The Cost of Paradise (Rolf up to the dams)
Chapter 3: War Between Worlds (Rhys)
Chapter 4: Breaking the System (Rolf post dams)
Chapter 5: Distant Memories (PS3 Second Gen)
Chapter 6: Aftermath (Chaz)
Possible Chapter 7: (PS3 third gen)

But factoring in your comments, it would work better swapping chapter 2 and 3 around, so you play Rhys before Rolf, and then slotting Gen 3 in after 7 and adding an 8 for the finale.

However this takes out any possible reference to Alisa III being populated by Palm survivors. Unless of course, I make Alisa III instead a ship populated by all those that opposed Lashiec, and exiled from Palma? To be used in the Mother Brains experiments.

I agree that this will take some planning, but I don't wanna half-ass it, I'd rather create something that at least the fans on this site are quite happy with.

EDIT: Also to clarify, I will only be following one character on each of the generations of PS3, it will go Rhys -> Ayn -> Aron (no reason other than that is the order I followed most of the time I played the game through) And if there is enough interest after release, I can make an expansion using Nial and another 3G character.
Last edited by Rulakir on Thu Jan 31, '13, 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rulakir
Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Postby Aeroprism » Thu Jan 31, '13, 12:27 pm

Rulakir wrote:I'd rather create something that at least the fans on this site are quite happy with. bring a completed fangame that works to the fans.

Fixed that for you. Seriously. Don't try and run left and right on crazy ideas just to please the fans. You have no competition, there are no other fan games. Just deliver a game that works, a game that we can play from start to finish and we'll love you forever.

Rulakir wrote:I will only be following one character on each of the generations of PS3, it will go Rhys -> Ayn -> Aron

This by definition does not include Gwyn. This makes me frown so hard, my eyebrows hurt. This also contradicts my earlier statement about simply delivering a complete game so feel free to ignore my current fanboyism.
Aeroprism
Numan
Numan

Postby Rulakir » Fri Feb 1, '13, 2:27 am

Aeroprism wrote:Fixed that for you. Seriously. Don't try and run left and right on crazy ideas just to please the fans. You have no competition, there are no other fan games. Just deliver a game that works, a game that we can play from start to finish and we'll love you forever.

haha, understood. I'm very confidant of finishing the game and releasing it. Only thing that can stop me is reaching the limitations of RPG Maker atm.

Aeroprism wrote:This by definition does not include Gwyn. This makes me frown so hard, my eyebrows hurt. This also contradicts my earlier statement about simply delivering a complete game so feel free to ignore my current fanboyism.

Well, there's always room for expansions ;p
Rulakir
Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Postby Thoul » Sat Feb 2, '13, 2:42 pm

An interesting idea, to say the least. Most of this has already been commented on as well as, if not better, than any idea that comes to my mind, so I'll just focus on one little bit that wasn't touched on: the Orakio/Laya angle.

Going with your condensed timeline, I suggest considering making Orakio into Rhys' grandfather or great-grandfather. It lets you have the lineage and the rivalries would really make more sense if Orakio and Laya's conflict only happened a two or three generations back.

Your idea of Alisa III being occupied by Lashiec's opponents is a good one, but I have to wonder why he'd use a prison ship of sorts instead of just killing his opponents outright.

But these are just my thoughts. You seem to have the beginnings of a good plan here and you've been given some great advice already.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Aeroprism » Sat Feb 2, '13, 3:39 pm

Thoul wrote:Going with your condensed timeline, I suggest considering making Orakio into Rhys' grandfather or great-grandfather. It lets you have the lineage and the rivalries would really make more sense if Orakio and Laya's conflict only happened a two or three generations back.

^This^

The mere made me happy like a schoolgirl at her first Bieber concert.

Thoul wrote:Your idea of Alisa III being occupied by Lashiec's opponents is a good one, but I have to wonder why he'd use a prison ship of sorts instead of just killing his opponents outright.

Moral justification. Political and social opponents cannot oppose you when they are in deep space. Why not simply kill them, dictator style and all? People will be much less inclined to revolt if you took the spaceship approach. This could easily be a precursor idea to the Gaira prison satellite.

Heck, the idea is so golden, I might adapt it for EOTA.
Last edited by Aeroprism on Sat Feb 2, '13, 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aeroprism
Numan
Numan

Next

Return to Fan Games, Music, Video & More