Yakuza 4 2011 Westside Release

Discussion of news stories dealing with gaming.

Yakuza 4 2011 Westside Release

Postby thepeaguy » Sat Jun 12, '10, 3:37 pm

For all Yakuza fans, rejoice at this news:

http://kotaku.com/5558199/we-are-gettin ... -after-all

Hopefully they aren't cutting anything out in this game since Yakuza 3 sold pretty well in the US and EU despite the content cuts.
thepeaguy
Shopkeeper
Shopkeeper

Achievements: 2

Re: Yakuza 4 2011 Westside Release

Postby Thoul » Sat Jun 12, '10, 4:32 pm

What's the game play like in this series? I've seen the name around, but never looked into it very closely.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby thepeaguy » Mon Jun 14, '10, 6:10 pm

Thoul wrote:What's the game play like in this series? I've seen the name around, but never looked into it very closely.

The main story is divided into multiple chapters and each chapter is made of three distinct but connected modes: Event, Adventure and Battle.

Event Mode is the movie cutscenes of the game which are enabled after completing specific actions such as beating a character up on Battle Mode for example. They also introduce a chapter's objectives.

Adventure Mode is where you roam freely around a town area playing minigames, doing subquests, buying stuff from shops etc.

Battle Mode is very much your 3D beat 'em up mode where you beat the crap out of enemies to get from point A to B. Chapters also include mid-bosses and usually an end of chapter boss.
thepeaguy
Shopkeeper
Shopkeeper

Postby Thoul » Tue Jun 15, '10, 7:01 am

Hm. It vaguely reminds me of what I've read about Shenmue. Would you say it's similar to that game?
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby thepeaguy » Tue Jun 15, '10, 6:26 pm

Thoul wrote:Hm. It vaguely reminds me of what I've read about Shenmue. Would you say it's similar to that game?

There are some similarities, but not really. The Yakuza series is more brutal and action-packed than Shenmue. You also don't get to talk to random npcs in Yakuza like you would in Shenmue.

Yakuza 3 seems to head in Shenmue's aesthetic detailing, graphic wise, but it's no-where similar.

Another thing to add is that no staff from the Shenmue titles had anything to do with this series, as far as I know.
thepeaguy
Shopkeeper
Shopkeeper

Return to In the News