Would you buy a 3rd party system remake?

Examine the concepts and building blocks of games and systems with us.

Postby Neithird » Thu Nov 15, '07, 8:49 pm

A CD system like that would be awesome - Sega CD, TG-16 CD, and 3DO just used standard CD formats (don't forget how pricey CDR drives and discs were back then) so one drive could play them all. That would basically be my dream system.

That would rock. I missed out on all those systems before, but I would sooo buy that and some of the old games to play on it.

I think the only reason there are NES variants widespread now is because Nintendo lost control of their patents or something like that. I read that somewhere, anyway. Sega probably kept better control of their technology or something.
:clyde: · · · :pacman: · · · · · · ● · · · · :inky: · · ·
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." ~ Optimus Prime
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 21

Postby hugues » Fri Nov 16, '07, 2:35 am

Neithird wrote:I think the only reason there are NES variants widespread now is because Nintendo lost control of their patents or something like that. I read that somewhere, anyway. Sega probably kept better control of their technology or something.

I read about this too, I think their patents just plain expired. These NES variants have been around prior to that though. A lot of them use a "NES on a chip" which is a hardware-based NES emulator. I think the difference is nowadays Nintendo can't sue because of the expired patents. Of course they couldn't really fight it when it actually was illegal.

All I can figure is that a "Genesis on chip" would cost more than $5 to make so the guys cranking out these knock-offs aren't interested.
hugues
Android
Android

Achievements: 32

Postby Neithird » Fri Nov 16, '07, 6:41 pm

:yes: That makes sense. If it's not cost effective, there's no reason to make one. I suppose it could be another sign of the NES' overall greater popularity, too.
:clyde: · · · :pacman: · · · · · · ● · · · · :inky: · · ·
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." ~ Optimus Prime
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 21

Previous

Return to Tech and Design