Video games as art?

Examine the concepts and building blocks of games and systems with us.

Video games as art?

Postby Thoul » Sun Dec 30, '07, 12:33 pm

Video games have been used for a lot of different things over the years. They have been entertainment, diversions, recruiting tools, and educational supplements. Do you think video games qualify as an art form? If so, what are the most artistic games you can think of?
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Tsunami » Sun Dec 30, '07, 1:07 pm

The only way I can consider it as art would be graphic-wise, as that's the only way it strikes me as art, really.
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby DrkTr14ce » Sun Dec 30, '07, 7:30 pm

Art can be in other formats, such as literature and Theatre. And personally, some games do deserve being called a form of Art. Okami is the best example that comes to mind, with it's inked art design and colourful storyline.
Greetings to you all. I am Kahrne Annabelle Lee, a Level 6 Sprite Artist.

DrkTr14ce
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 36

Postby Wolf Bird » Sun Dec 30, '07, 8:49 pm

I think besides Okami, Shadow of the Colossus is a form of art. It is easy to just spend a ton of time just wandering around the landscape, looking at the idols in the shrine, and climbing the shrine itself. Then there are the colossi themselves; they resemble architecture (several have pillars for legs) and the detail put into them is just amazing.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby SparkyIII » Mon Dec 31, '07, 12:29 am

I love the games like that, you can wander aimlessly just to take a view. IMO, PSU would be a huge hit if they could include things like that, not just missions and shops.

But the PS games, had they been given the 3D effect and graphics of today, could be works of art. They had some moments and towns that would look enchanting.
Everything has a pattern. Something set. Even random things. They aren't random at all, its complex mathematics. The trick is to find the pattern. Then you can exploit it.

People think things have a certain end. Taxes. Work. Due dates don't really exist. Trust me. When you put a band of world scholars in the same room, and set them on talking about anything, the most interesting topics come up. The existence of negative time. The probability of "random occurrence". The government's involvement in the media. And falsified due dates. They aren't real, trust me....
SparkyIII
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 40

Return to Tech and Design