Spiderman D-I-V-O-R-C-E ?

Converse about your favorite literature and reading in this study.

Spiderman D-I-V-O-R-C-E ?

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sat Jan 19, '08, 10:37 pm

It seems the new issue of the Spiderman comic has Spidy and Mary Jane breaking up. :cry:

This stinks after 20 years of marriage, if you ask me. I don't care how you "whitewash" it with reasons why it had to happen. :fiery:

And, even if they may not be quick to divorce right now, it sure doesn't sound good for the future for this couple. :?

Opinions or Comments?

http://www.newsweek.com/id/89134
Happy St. Patrick's Day ~ March 17, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Rudo » Sun Jan 20, '08, 3:09 am

I'm not surprised at all. They should never have gotten married in the first place. A crime fighter doesn't need a wife. It's just a ploy to sell more comics. I hope it backfires. :p
Rudo
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 192

Postby SparkyIII » Sun Jan 20, '08, 4:57 am

Spidey comics are still being made? Wow, I expected them to go out a looooong time ago.
Everything has a pattern. Something set. Even random things. They aren't random at all, its complex mathematics. The trick is to find the pattern. Then you can exploit it.

People think things have a certain end. Taxes. Work. Due dates don't really exist. Trust me. When you put a band of world scholars in the same room, and set them on talking about anything, the most interesting topics come up. The existence of negative time. The probability of "random occurrence". The government's involvement in the media. And falsified due dates. They aren't real, trust me....
SparkyIII
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 40

Postby PSP » Sun Jan 20, '08, 5:40 pm

The "One More Day" arc was the dumbest thing in the world of Spiderman. Ever. They had Peter make a deal with the devil (Mephisto) to save Aunt May, and in return...he wanted Peter and MJ's marriage.

...And somehow it resulting in Peter getting web shooters back and Harry Osborn returning to life. Originally, the writer wanted to have it so that a lot of stuff changed, making it more sensical, which would have made Gwen Stacy be alive also. Unfortunately, the editors at Marvel didn't allow this, and explained away all the continuity errors with "It's magic, we don't have to explain it."

Needless to say...* Marvel.

-Corey
PSP
Explorer
Explorer

Achievements: 20

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Mon Jan 21, '08, 5:33 am

PSP wrote: Unfortunately, the editors at Marvel didn't allow this, and explained away all the continuity errors with "It's magic, we don't have to explain it."

-Corey

That is not going to sit well with Spidy fans, I think.
Happy St. Patrick's Day ~ March 17, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Thoul » Tue Jan 22, '08, 9:24 am

The "One More Day" arc was the dumbest thing in the world of Spiderman. Ever.

It can't be said better than that. The way the story has been handled makes it seem like no one (except the original main writer) even cared about explaining any of the problems it creates. Bringing back Harry Osborn (the second Green Goblin, son of the original for those that don't know) like this completely throws out the last ten years of Spider-Man history, as Harry's death set into motion some major storylines. All of the great character development Spider-Man went through has just been completely tossed aside.

The worst part by far is the character assassination of having a hero make a deal with the devil. That's a great role model for the young'uns to look up to, hey? It should make for great press when they try to make another movie, too. :roll:
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby PSP » Sat Jan 26, '08, 12:20 am

Thoul wrote:It can't be said better than that. The way the story has been handled makes it seem like no one (except the original main writer) even cared about explaining any of the problems it creates. Bringing back Harry Osborn (the second Green Goblin, son of the original for those that don't know) like this completely throws out the last ten years of Spider-Man history, as Harry's death set into motion some major storylines. All of the great character development Spider-Man went through has just been completely tossed aside.

Kinda funny, since the last time Marvel decided to "shake things up" and jettison the Parker marriage, the Clone Saga was born. We all know how that worked out ;p

Funny thing there is, they originally wanted Harry to be the mastermind of that saga at the end, but Bob Harras vetoed that decision and wanted to bring back Norman (an even bigger blunder, IMHO).

-Corey
PSP
Explorer
Explorer

Achievements: 20

Return to Leapin' Library