Word spellings that make no sence

Converse about your favorite literature and reading in this study.

Word spellings that make no sence

Postby Celeith » Thu Jan 24, '08, 11:23 pm

Ok theres some rules we're taught in school about spelling certain words. Such as I before E except after C. The one word that always confused me was, if we have to follow that rule then why is the word spelled Their instead of Thier? I know some words are sounded with the long ee sound but still, school lied to us, we should boycot!! Anyways... Are there any other words that make no sence in their spelling? Enlighten everyone with this bit of information by posting here.
Cele~Chan Streaming
Saturday at 8pm cst and Sunday at 6pm cst.
The Subscribe button is just a click away.
Celeith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 111

Postby Wolf Bird » Thu Jan 24, '08, 11:46 pm

English is a really, really, REALLY weird language in almost always I can think of. Think "woman" and "women". I know that's not a spelling thing, but it's still weird.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby SparkyIII » Fri Jan 25, '08, 12:34 am

The rule is I before E except after C or when it says "AY" in or in the list of exceptions. And the pronunciation is actually 'thayr'. So it does make sense. I do think that having a list of "exceptions" is strange though. I also find it strange that they have to have uncommon phonograms as well, like pn, eu, ect.
Everything has a pattern. Something set. Even random things. They aren't random at all, its complex mathematics. The trick is to find the pattern. Then you can exploit it.

People think things have a certain end. Taxes. Work. Due dates don't really exist. Trust me. When you put a band of world scholars in the same room, and set them on talking about anything, the most interesting topics come up. The existence of negative time. The probability of "random occurrence". The government's involvement in the media. And falsified due dates. They aren't real, trust me....
SparkyIII
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 40

Postby Celeith » Fri Jan 25, '08, 1:15 am

who knows.. spelling always came easy to me cause ive played many games to actually know what the majority of the words out there are.. its just weird that they have all these ways and rules
Cele~Chan Streaming
Celeith
Palman
Palman

Postby Thoul » Fri Jan 25, '08, 3:11 am

English can be a weird and confusing language at times. The rules don't help much, because it takes years of study and dedication to learn and master all of them. Some people are far too strict about grammar rules, in my opinion.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Re: Word spellings that make no sence

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Fri Jan 25, '08, 3:52 am

Kaloes wrote:Word spellings that make no sence

Hmmm, shouldn't it be "sense" instead of "sence"? Just wondering, as it didn't quite make sense. :wink: Happens to me all the time. :)
Happy St. Patrick's Day ~ March 17, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Celeith » Fri Jan 25, '08, 3:57 am

yea.. sometimes its just lazyness on my part
Cele~Chan Streaming
Celeith
Palman
Palman

Postby Tsunami » Fri Jan 25, '08, 9:43 am

Surprised that no one commented on how British/Canadian spellings also make it more awkard. Armor/armour, color/colour, recognize/recognise. Small differences, I know, but it's funny that I use British spellings here and there. :lol:
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby SparkyIII » Sat Jan 26, '08, 1:23 am

Theater/theatre. Never got what they did that for.
Everything has a pattern. Something set. Even random things. They aren't random at all, its complex mathematics. The trick is to find the pattern. Then you can exploit it.

People think things have a certain end. Taxes. Work. Due dates don't really exist. Trust me. When you put a band of world scholars in the same room, and set them on talking about anything, the most interesting topics come up. The existence of negative time. The probability of "random occurrence". The government's involvement in the media. And falsified due dates. They aren't real, trust me....
SparkyIII
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 40

Postby Reno » Sat Jan 26, '08, 5:18 am

Kaloes wrote:yea.. sometimes its just lazyness on my part

I thought it was intentional :D It made sense 'cause of the topic, because the spelling of 'sence' didn't make sense! :lol:

To comment on the English/American thing, I thought Americans spelled theatre with the -re at the end instead of -er, (well apparently not 'cause the automatic spellcheck just underlined it...) Oh well! :D
"Science was dealt a crippling blow the instant that its conclusions were deemed to be subject to democracy."
[face=Arial][/face]
Reno
Agent
Agent

Achievements: 18

Next

Return to Leapin' Library