Women Gamers

Discussion of news stories dealing with gaming.

Women Gamers

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Mon Mar 17, '08, 3:57 pm

Well, in one of the threads down below we talked about Men Gamers, and now it's equal time as here is a story on Women Gamers:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/ptech/02/2 ... index.html

This was an interesting article to read. I think there are a great number of women gamers, and I think women do very well at these games. Possibly sometimes even better than men.

What do you think?

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Lemina » Mon Mar 17, '08, 10:58 pm

Neat article! I guess the findings that the article found, such as the one where they found that girls tended to play casual and social games more often than other genres, weren't too surprising. I guess I'm just old fashioned; expecting girls to play clean, heartwarming games while boys play more violent, goal orientated titles. Of course this isn't really the case, it's just what I imagined.

As for the number of girl gamers, I actually haven't seen many around my parts. Even though I'm on a college campus with hundreds of people. There's my sister, a couple of my friends, and myself. But that's just around me.

Credits to Altin for the sig. Thank you dude! ^_^
Lemina
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 29

Postby Tsunami » Mon Mar 17, '08, 11:57 pm

from the article... wrote:Studies and sales data have shown that women are more likely to play hand-held casual games, such as the Nintendo DS, along with social oriented games such as "The Sims," where women make up more than 55 percent of players.
I guess I don't fit their stereotypical "girl gamer." :p Don't care for social-oriented games or handhelds (small screens bother me) -- though I will admit that I like cute, colorful things, like Kirby! :mrgreen:

But what do I think about the article? Meh. What does gender matter when it depends on the individual? They talk about making things geared towards women, but in the end it turns out sexist anyways, IMO.
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby Wolf Bird » Tue Mar 18, '08, 12:07 am

Tsunami wrote:
from the article... wrote:Studies and sales data have shown that women are more likely to play hand-held casual games, such as the Nintendo DS, along with social oriented games such as "The Sims," where women make up more than 55 percent of players.
I guess I don't fit their stereotypical "girl gamer." :p Don't care for social-oriented games or handhelds (small screens bother me) -- though I will admit that I like cute, colorful things, like Kirby! :mrgreen:

But what do I think about the article? Meh. What does gender matter when it depends on the individual? They talk about making things geared towards women, but in the end it turns out sexist anyways, IMO.

I don't play many handhelds or social-oriented games either. I enjoy cute and colorful (Okami), but I equally enjoy making it rain meteors in London in Destroy All Humans! 2. And then there's Brawl...

I agree with Tsunami. It is kind of meh. It's an individual thing, in the end, like most other things.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Thoul » Tue Mar 18, '08, 12:11 am

I like the closing quote of the article. "Honestly, if we just make good product, everybody will play it." That's someone who really gets what gaming is all about, IMO. There's no need to target games specifically towards males or females, just make a good game and everyone can enjoy it.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby DrkTr14ce » Tue Mar 18, '08, 7:31 pm

Indeed. Personally, I'm rather glad the stereotype is dying out. I will agree that there are some female gamers that can kick us males' behinds with no trouble, but it might be a while till we see a lot more of them. Which reminds me...I need to go find the idiot who thought painting game systems and handhelds pink was a good marketing ploy to get females into it all...
Greetings to you all. I am Kahrne Annabelle Lee, a Level 6 Sprite Artist.

DrkTr14ce
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 36

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Tue Mar 18, '08, 7:36 pm

I don't play the handheld games either. Give me the SNES and other systems like that. Pink may be pretty, but I'd probably go for some other color. I agree, just make good games, etc., and they will get played by either gender regardless.

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Lemina » Wed Mar 19, '08, 10:35 pm

^ Hey, handheld games can be cool--although console games are much better.

Credits to Altin for the sig. Thank you dude! ^_^
Lemina
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 29

Return to In the News