Barbie Makeover

General discussion of subjects beyond the scope of the other forums.

Barbie Makeover

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Fri Oct 23, '09, 10:32 pm

Barbie doll is getting a new makeover.

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/In ... ?GT1=33002

So, do you think this new "makover" will help Barbie, or not?

Barbie has had so many "facelifts" or "makeovers" over the years, that it is hard to tell which one I like best. I do think that with all of these different movable joints on the doll that it is likely these dolls will be highly sought after one day because it may be hard to find some that are not broken and still in prime condition.

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Re: Barbie Makeover

Postby Thoul » Sat Oct 24, '09, 3:00 am

I doubt it will help. Toys are just too expensive these days, like so much other stuff. I was looking through some old stuff of mine the other week. I found a toy package from 1989 that was priced about $3.00. A comparable toy in a store today is over 3 times that price.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Wolf Bird » Sat Oct 24, '09, 3:48 am

Toys ARE expensive. The big thing this Christmas is Zhu-Zhu pets, little electronic hamster...things. My roommate has been trying to get these and their accessories for little kids she knows (her boyfriend's little sisters, namely) and they go for 50-60 on eBay (retail price of 10 bucks). Apparently there's also been fistfights over these stupid things. :roll:
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sat Oct 24, '09, 8:41 pm

Caged Wolf wrote:Toys ARE expensive. The big thing this Christmas is Zhu-Zhu pets, little electronic hamster...things. My roommate has been trying to get these and their accessories for little kids she knows (her boyfriend's little sisters, namely) and they go for 50-60 on eBay (retail price of 10 bucks). Apparently there's also been fistfights over these stupid things. :roll:

Reminds me of the Cabbage Patch Doll craze a few years ago. Then there was the Furby Doll craze another year. Then there was the Talking Elmo Doll craze another year. I think there was even a Holiday Barbie Doll craze one year. Not to mention the Nintendo and other video game system crazes. It seems like there is some "craze" every year at Christmas and other times of the year. People actually fight over all these things. That's one reason I don't like to go shopping, especially during holidays. :yikes:

Silver_Surfer1

Postby Thoul » Sun Oct 25, '09, 1:41 am

If you've got to get something like that, layaway is a far better option that trying to swim through crowds and beat them off with a stick. Of course, it doesn't help when companies wait until the last minute to release stuff.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sun Oct 25, '09, 4:01 pm

Lay-a-way is great. I do it when I can. Only problem is a lot of places do not have lay-a-way any more. Kmart still does, I think. But Walmart and other stores don't have it any more....atleast here in our area they don't. :grumpy:

Silver_Surfer1

Postby Thoul » Sun Oct 25, '09, 11:36 pm

Yeah, I think Wal-mart dropped it in favor of trying to get people to sign up for credit cards. That way they can use legal action to ensure they get paid, instead of hoping people will come in and make payments on the honor system. Kmart loves to point out that they have layaway in commercials ever since Wal-mart did that.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Return to Casual Conversation