Wii shortage for Christmas

Discussion of news stories dealing with gaming.

Wii shortage for Christmas

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Fri Dec 14, '07, 6:33 pm

I just heard a report on the news about there being a shortage of the Wii Nintendo game systems in some areas for the Christmas holiday shopping season. Folks are saying Nintendo should have made more of these game systems as they could have sold out easily.

So, what do you think? Is there a shortage of the Wii game system, etc., or other game systems, games, etc., in your area? Seems like this is going to be one of the hottest items for this Christmas holiday season. :santa:

Anyone remember way back years ago when some of the game systems originally came out, and how very bad the shortages were of them then and how hectic the rush was to get them. It was a nightmare, lol.
Good Friday ~ March 29, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby SparkyIII » Fri Dec 14, '07, 6:36 pm

I wouldn't know, find it surprising, but I don't like the Wii very much, its too, low grafx for my liking, save for a couple of games, but its not worth it to get it just for those. Buuuuut, I think they're just doing it to keep it in demand rather than having excess, you see? Its like if people think they're really running low, they think that its a really good system and go try and get it, the harder it is, the more they want, ya know.
Everything has a pattern. Something set. Even random things. They aren't random at all, its complex mathematics. The trick is to find the pattern. Then you can exploit it.

People think things have a certain end. Taxes. Work. Due dates don't really exist. Trust me. When you put a band of world scholars in the same room, and set them on talking about anything, the most interesting topics come up. The existence of negative time. The probability of "random occurrence". The government's involvement in the media. And falsified due dates. They aren't real, trust me....
SparkyIII
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 40

Postby Neithird » Sat Dec 15, '07, 1:44 am

It's a shame they didn't make more. I guess they didn't expect such demand. I heard that GameStop and Nintendo are going to start offering rainchecks for the Wii. Imagine opening a huge box and finding nothing inside but a crummy raincheck. :lol:
:clyde: · · · :pacman: · · · · · · ● · · · · :inky: · · ·
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." ~ Optimus Prime
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 21

Postby Thoul » Sat Dec 15, '07, 1:59 am

Nintendo might have under produced to drive up the demand. They know from past experience that shortages increase demand for games. Or it could be that they just didn't have enough resources available to keep up with the demand. That's happened with Nintendo before, too.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Neithird » Sat Dec 15, '07, 4:17 pm

I think they just underestimated the demand. I saw an interview this morning on the news. It said Nintendo made "an aggressive increase" in production back in summer, but that still wasn't enough. The news also claimed that 1 million Wiis were sold in November. :o That's a lot of Wii going around!
:clyde: · · · :pacman: · · · · · · ● · · · · :inky: · · ·
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." ~ Optimus Prime
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 21

Postby SparkyIII » Sun Dec 16, '07, 6:02 am

Probably just a sort of thing that would get customers to think that the system is so fantasic, that its a must buy, thus increasing demand for it. XD
Everything has a pattern. Something set. Even random things. They aren't random at all, its complex mathematics. The trick is to find the pattern. Then you can exploit it.

People think things have a certain end. Taxes. Work. Due dates don't really exist. Trust me. When you put a band of world scholars in the same room, and set them on talking about anything, the most interesting topics come up. The existence of negative time. The probability of "random occurrence". The government's involvement in the media. And falsified due dates. They aren't real, trust me....
SparkyIII
Sage
Sage

Postby LordShibas » Sun Dec 16, '07, 11:20 pm

Wii shortages are total bs. Not in the way that there aren't any, but the fact that Nintendo is holding back to try to increase demand. Anyone who buys this garbage that ANY system after over a year of being available is still hard to get is either high or stupid. The shortage is based off of Nintendo "accidentally" under-estimating demand. Then they post articles about how they can't keep up with demand to make the Wii look great. Most companies do it, but at this point in the game, anyone who buys this nonsense from Nintendo still, needs their head checked.
I know a few people at multiple Best Buy stores, and they have been telling me since the launch of the Wii, that they simply just don't get them in. They are never in stock.

I don't know a single person who owns a Wii. I know plenty that own PS3s and 360s. It makes me wonder where all these Wiis are going. Then again, most of my friends are over the age of 13.

Here's another interesting question. Why are there no Wiis, yet there are DSs all over the place, which according to sales, are much more popular.
LordShibas
Cyborg
Cyborg

Achievements: 9

Postby Thoul » Mon Dec 17, '07, 4:18 am

I have a theory that Nintendo is shipping most of the Wiis to the most profitable markets. That is, they might send a bunch to New York City, but small and medium sized towns don't get many, if any, because sales and publicity would be lower in those areas.

That's a good point about the DS, though. It is hard to believe Nintendo would make more DSes than Wiis.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Mon Dec 17, '07, 6:24 pm

More on the Ninetendo Wii shortage, and the crummy rainchecks, lol:

http://blogs.moneycentral.msn.com/topst ... weeks.aspx
Good Friday ~ March 29, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby SparkyIII » Mon Dec 17, '07, 6:45 pm

Nintendo must think their so clever because of their little strategy here. XDDD

SparkyIII
Sage
Sage

Next

Return to In the News