Thank God they're dead!

Examine the concepts and building blocks of games and systems with us.

Thank God they're dead!

Postby XxEnslavedNekoxX » Sat Jun 27, '09, 9:14 pm

Ever have that one character in the game that you absolutely hate and then they die to which you are relieved and jumping for joy? Tell us who that character is! If you don't have one, then just tell us who you would have liked to see die and which game they are from.

Me personally could not stand Aeris in FF7. She was weak and having to look out for her was a pain imo. So when she died, I was so happy, I reset the game and played the scene over again.
XxEnslavedNekoxX
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 11

Re: Thank God they're dead!

Postby Darkil » Sat Jun 27, '09, 9:38 pm

Well not anyone particular but I hated that guy guarding the "bridge" in Phantasy Star 2. IT was so stupid that I couldn't get past him even though I was level 12. I was glad to see him die, especially
[Reveal] Spoiler:
after his killed his daughter
. What a jerk...
Shhh my common sense is tingling
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Achievements: 54

Postby XxEnslavedNekoxX » Sat Jun 27, '09, 9:48 pm

Yeah, I forgot about him. That was a good choice. He was a moron >.<
XxEnslavedNekoxX
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Postby Wolf Bird » Sat Jun 27, '09, 10:40 pm

My pick? Pokey from Earthbound. Hands down. HATE THAT GUY. But he doesn't even die, no, he cheats death and locks himself in the absolutely safe capsule in Mother 3...at least he can never escape from that thing. Hate him. :fiery:
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Lemina » Sun Jun 28, '09, 2:47 am

Definitely Asch from Tales of the Abyss. He was such a nut job; I was pretty much screaming out of joy when he died. :D

Credits to Altin for the sig. Thank you dude! ^_^
Lemina
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 29

Postby Erpy » Sun Jun 28, '09, 7:24 pm

Personally, I didn't mind Aerith very much as long as I remembered to use her as a mage, rather than as a melee-fighter.

And I actually thought Darum's case was a tragic one...the guy turned to crime in order to fund the ransom for his daughter and due to an error in the latter's judgement, he ends up killing the very person on whose behalf he messed up his life. Can't fault the guy for committing suicide on the spot.

I personally never cared for Tellah (Final Fantasy 4) very much. His limited mp meant he could never use his spells more often than a few times and I believe his stats went down as he levelled up. His obsession with revenge would scare even Gryz. He does get points for spouting one of the most memorable insults in the history of gaming though.
Erpy
Shopkeeper
Shopkeeper

Achievements: 26

Postby Thoul » Sun Jun 28, '09, 8:30 pm

I felt similar to Erpy on Darum at first. It was tragic and I pitied him a bit. Then I played the Nei's Adventure and I hated the guy completely. After that, I was glad the character died in Phantasy Star II, but I still felt bad for his kid.

When Aeris died... well, I just didn't care. It had no impact for me at all. I thought, "This scene is what everyone's talking about? Why?" Maybe it was just having it spoiled for me before I played the game, but I really didn't have any emotional connection with the scene at all.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby XxEnslavedNekoxX » Mon Jun 29, '09, 2:03 pm

Thoul wrote:When Aeris died... well, I just didn't care. It had no impact for me at all. I thought, "This scene is what everyone's talking about? Why?" Maybe it was just having it spoiled for me before I played the game, but I really didn't have any emotional connection with the scene at all.

Yeah I agree. People hyped it up so much that when you actually saw it, it was more of a joke than anything. Heck, they still hype up the game to where Square can pull anything out with those characters and it will be a hit. In all honesty, I can't even look at the original game too much anymore because of all the constant hype.

FYI - Advent Children (The FF Movie with the characters from 7) wasn't that great imo. Sure, it was visually pleasing and the fights were cool, but the story and characters seemed to lack the charm that we remembered from them. But because it's from VII, I've had people yell at me for saying the movie wasn't good.
XxEnslavedNekoxX
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Postby Darkil » Mon Jun 29, '09, 2:42 pm

Well I guess I'm the biggest sap in the world because I cried when Aeris died. Granted I knew what was coming but I suppose I started crying because the music that they played when she died. I guess you can say the music was what caused me to cry, it just seemed to fit the situation
Shhh my common sense is tingling
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Achievements: 54

Postby Erpy » Mon Jun 29, '09, 4:19 pm

I felt a bit sad when Aerith died, but not as much as the people who hype up that scene. The scene itself was moving...the body language of the other characters hammered home the point better than any dialogue did and Aerith's Theme is a genuinely beautiful and moving song. I think that because of the hype it received, lots of people are unnecessarily skeptical/critical about that scene. Keep in mind that since FF7 brought the RPG genre into the mainstream, this scene was the first time for many people a major character was taken away. No doubt for those people, the scene triggered a similar response as the death of Nei in PS2 or Alys in PS4 for people here.
Erpy
Shopkeeper
Shopkeeper

Achievements: 26

Next

Return to Tech and Design