Mortal Kombat's getting bashed again

Discussion of news stories dealing with gaming.

Mortal Kombat's getting bashed again

Postby Thoul » Fri Dec 21, '07, 11:30 pm

Recently, two teenagers were accused of killing a seven year old girl.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,317544,00.html

News agencies are reporting the story as the teenagers imitating moves from Mortal Kombat, using the seven year old as a practice dummy. I've also heard reports that after the girl was unconscious, they attempted to perform CPR (very dangerous if you're untrained), waited at least 15 minutes to call for help, and even tried to crack an egg and pour it down her throat because they thought she was faking!

But of course, the media is focusing on the Mortal Kombat aspect, blaming violence in video games for this whole debacle. What are your thoughts on this?

[edit: spelling]
Last edited by Thoul on Sat Dec 22, '07, 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby hugues » Fri Dec 21, '07, 11:59 pm

Yeah I saw this story yesterday and thought it was about 14 years late. Have teenagers even played the original Mortal Kombat? I'm not trying to be condescending here, if you're 17 now then you were 5 or 6 when Mortal Kombat was at it's peak. Whatever, it's plain stupid to blame the game. Those two teens should be locked away and for good, they are old enough to understand what they're doing.
hugues
Android
Android

Achievements: 32

Postby Tsunami » Sat Dec 22, '07, 12:57 am

My god, that's just terrible! :( Hugues is right though, and I couldn't agree more.

I say lock 'em up for good, but the article said that they could serve up to 48 years. Sheesh... And a little girl died. Very upsetting to read about this kind of stuff. No matter the reasons, no child should be treated like that...
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby DrkTr14ce » Sat Dec 22, '07, 7:33 am

(Leaves for 5 minutes before unleashing a total bashing on the media.)

Allright...now that I've calmed down a bit...I'm chalking this one up towards "Media Over-Reaction and Exaggeration". Now, I'm not trying to say the two kids shouldn't get sent to jail for this. (Let them have the 48 years!) What I am saying is that the Media tries to blame something, just because they have to put the blame on it somewhere. And unfortounately for us Gamers, we're still the target for all this crap. I do find it kind of funny they didn't try to blame it on Grand Theft Auto or Manhunt 2. Those seem to be the favorite choices nowadays..
Greetings to you all. I am Kahrne Annabelle Lee, a Level 6 Sprite Artist.

DrkTr14ce
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 36

Postby hugues » Sat Dec 22, '07, 3:21 pm

DrkTr14ce wrote:What I am saying is that the Media tries to blame something, just because they have to put the blame on it somewhere. And unfortounately for us Gamers, we're still the target for all this crap. I do find it kind of funny they didn't try to blame it on Grand Theft Auto or Manhunt 2. Those seem to be the favorite choices nowadays..

Right, it's a case of misguided focus. It's easier to blame an object than evaluate the environment and upbringing that made these two think this was acceptable behavior. They could just as easily been imitating a Bruce Lee movie, it's totally irrelevant. Heck, when I was a kid we had "light saber fights" with whiffle bats regularly but I never thought to slice off someone's hand. These two were obviously brought up in such a way that they can't make the distinction, it's a shame the parents (if they're around) can't be charged too.
hugues
Android
Android

Achievements: 32

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sun Dec 23, '07, 12:48 am

I agree, it's not the fault of Mortal Kombat, or any other game, thing, etc. Evidently, these kids have not been raised right to respect other people, etc. Practically anyone on earth would know that this type of behaviour is totally unacceptable, no matter what. Mortal Kombat is just a video game - it's not real, and most people know that. Evil is just evil no matter where or what you try to blame it on. These kids had to know better than to do what they did, they just didn't care, and that shows a total disrespect for others and mostly for themselves.

Some people are always looking for an excuse to blame something on rather than accept responsibility and admit the error of their ways themselves.

Sad.

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby SparkyIII » Sun Dec 23, '07, 8:53 am

Hugues, I bet that they started with the peak of the games at 5 and never stopped until just recently, the brain damage they must have to beat up a child.

This won't trigger up the death penalty will it?
Everything has a pattern. Something set. Even random things. They aren't random at all, its complex mathematics. The trick is to find the pattern. Then you can exploit it.

People think things have a certain end. Taxes. Work. Due dates don't really exist. Trust me. When you put a band of world scholars in the same room, and set them on talking about anything, the most interesting topics come up. The existence of negative time. The probability of "random occurrence". The government's involvement in the media. And falsified due dates. They aren't real, trust me....
SparkyIII
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 40

Postby Neithird » Sun Dec 23, '07, 3:01 pm

Mortal Kombat in the media has just be a reference to the series in general, not the original game. There's a newer game on the Wii, so MK is still around and that is probably what these kids played. I agree that the game isn't the cause of the problems here and these killers need to go to jail.
:clyde: · · · :pacman: · · · · · · ● · · · · :inky: · · ·
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." ~ Optimus Prime
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 21

Return to In the News