Who was the most effective villain?

Discuss the saga of Algo, where the legend began.

Who was the most effective villain?

Postby Neithird » Fri Aug 3, '07, 2:20 pm

Out of all the bad guys in the series, which accomplished the most in terms of carrying out their goals? Lassic, the king who went bad? Or Neifirst, trying to wipe out humans? Maybe Zio and his strange religion?
:clyde: · · · :pacman: · · · · · · ● · · · · :inky: · · ·
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." ~ Optimus Prime
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 21

Postby Divine Dragon » Fri Aug 3, '07, 7:55 pm

Most effective is a little too vague.. .. and besides.. they aaaaall die anyway..but that's pretty much the point of villains, to lose..

Zio was just a pawn.. which was pretty unnecessary really in my opinion.. Dark Force already had Kuran as well as the Garuberk Tower.. why did it require Zio?

Though Zio did manage to destroy a few cities.. tried to stop people reaching birth valley.. took control of Nurvus, which is unnecessary with DF having Kuran as I said already.. but he did say he wished the destruction of the Solar System, something the PD would like..

Reipard.. depending on the version.. was either the bringer of the Dark Force, after gaining knowledge about Algol that we're never let in on.. .. or .. another victim of the fear of death.. and joined a religious cult.. I prefer the Japanese version, so I'd never call him Lassic.

He .. killed.. people.. but didn't really attempt to destroy the solar system.. at least not from what I've read..

Then his return in PSIV.. he tried to kill Rune and co., unsuccessfully.. so not very effective then either.

Neifirst.. well she was an accident gone wrong..

To be honest I think the only .. decent villain is obviously the one behind it all.. the Profound Darkness and it's manifestation of Dark Force..
Last edited by Divine Dragon on Sat Aug 4, '07, 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Divine Dragon
Cyborg
Cyborg

Achievements: 20

Postby The $ Avenger » Sat Aug 4, '07, 12:11 am

Divine Dragon wrote:Most effective is a little too vague.. .. and besides.. they aaaaall die anyway..but that's pretty much the point of villains, to lose..
Well said!

Neifirst's destruction is pretty similar to DF1 in PSIV; both monkeying around with the climate, though she was cranking out monsters too, so she was a pretty nasty one. DF2 was wrecking the climate too, but also spreading disease. I'd say that one was pretty awful. Getting turned into a zombie is a fate worse than being gnawed on my Biomonsters if you ask me.

Divine Dragon wrote:Reipard.. depending on the version.. was either the bringer of the Dark Force, after gaining knowledge about Algol that we're never let in on.. .. or .. another victim of the fear of death.. and joined a religious cult.. I prefer the Japanese version, so I'd never call him Lassic.

He .. killed.. people.. but didn't really attempt to destroy the solar system.. at least not from what I've read..
It's so hard to differentiate which villain was responsible for the various evil acts in the games. Was DF or the Earthmen responsible for the destruction in PSII? Or do you draw it out another level and say it was neither, but the PD all along? Because of this, I too have to go the default source, the PD, since it evidently was behind all the evil in Algo.
"Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit." Vyse, Skies of Arcadia Legends.
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 7

Postby Shinuzzo » Sat Aug 4, '07, 5:01 am

Well, I'm going go with the Earthmen they managed to control things behind the scenes for 462 years. I don't think they were under the control of Dark Force the whole time or they would started the widescale destruction sooner.
Shinuzzo
Guardian
Guardian

Achievements: 25

Postby Celeith » Sat Aug 4, '07, 7:10 am

i havent made it that far into PSIII yet *working on it* but i've read alot of stuff, what was the deal with Siren? he was a psyco robot or something.. i know PSIII doesn't have that much story but i think when you get to or close to the 3rd generation it gets a little bit.. i mean didn't siren take out a whole colony on someones story? i think seans.. or was siren destroyed in the 2nd generation? man i can't remember that much..
Cele~Chan Streaming
Saturday at 8pm cst and Sunday at 6pm cst.
The Subscribe button is just a click away.
Celeith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 111

Postby Tsunami » Sat Aug 4, '07, 6:44 pm

Kaloes wrote:i havent made it that far into PSIII yet *working on it* but i've read alot of stuff, what was the deal with Siren? he was a psyco robot or something.. i know PSIII doesn't have that much story but i think when you get to or close to the 3rd generation it gets a little bit.. i mean didn't siren take out a whole colony on someones story? i think seans.. or was siren destroyed in the 2nd generation? man i can't remember that much..

Siren, very interesting character! I'll do some ranting on him. :D

Siren was an android who served Orakio. He was banished to the blue moon, Azura, by Laya and waited for the time when the moons would return to the Alisa III. When that happened, he immediately sought revenge, attacking the Layans of Cille and Shusoran. Depending on which path is taken, you either deal with Siren yourself as Ayn, (you defeat him, but he says that he'll return) or vaguely hear about what happened in the 3rd generation as Aron or Adan if you went with Nial.
If you pick Ayn then marry Thea, it seems that you've saved the Layan survivors until Azura is destroyed, (they presume Siren did this) or if you went with marrying Sari, a messenger from Azura says that Siren changed the ship's course so that they're headed for the sun.

In the end, you always find Siren at Sage Isle, where he collapses after saying he was sorry for his mistakes. (he says more, but I won't give too much away)
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby Neithird » Sat Aug 4, '07, 10:47 pm

Most effective is a little too vague..

I don't think so in this case; I did qualify it by asking who do the most toward accomplishing their individual goals.

Zio was just a pawn.. which was pretty unnecessary really in my opinion.. Dark Force already had Kuran as well as the Garuberk Tower.. why did it require Zio?

Zio had two purposes, as I see it. One was to assist Kuran DF in subverting the remaining Mother Brain systems. DF's control of Kuran wasn't enough. After Zio was beaten, Demi was able to shut down Nurvus and negate DF's power on Motavia. If Zio hadn't taken Nurvus, DF would not have been able to do anything to Motavia's climate in the first place. Along the same lines, Zio also took control of the machines in Birth Valley to make monsters.

The second purpose is spreading the religion that worships DF (and this includes destroying the towns, to spread fear and his reputation). Remember at the end of PS1, when the governer said he had been possessed body and soul? Dark Falz in that game was the Saccubus/Nightmare possessing the governer. I think Zio's cultists were being prepared to undergo that same possession when the seal broke and all those Falz lookalike monsters would come out.

Anyway, my answer on the most effective question is PSIII DF. It's not my favorite game in the series, but have to give him this one. Destroying nearly 400 ships over 1,000 years... that's some dedication.

I don't believe the PD really counts, because it never acted directly until the end, when it got beaten. The Earthmen did a really good job, though.
:clyde: · · · :pacman: · · · · · · ● · · · · :inky: · · ·
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." ~ Optimus Prime
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 21

Postby The $ Avenger » Mon Aug 6, '07, 1:00 am

Neithird wrote:Anyway, my answer on the most effective question is PSIII DF. It's not my favorite game in the series, but have to give him this one. Destroying nearly 400 ships over 1,000 years... that's some dedication.
Yeah, that DF was quite the butcher; definitely one of the worst. Am I the only one that things that DF looks a bit like a rodent? :p I think it's the nose when it attacks: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Psta ... kforce.jpg

Anyway, if you rule out the PD, the most deaths either resulted from PSII DF or PSIII DF. If you consider PSII DF, it destroyed an entire planet. The body count really depends upon how many ships got away from Parma in time.
"Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit." Vyse, Skies of Arcadia Legends.
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Postby Divine Dragon » Mon Aug 6, '07, 1:06 am

I still say the PD totally counts, seeing as none of it would have happened without it. There'd be no reason to seal it and so no Algol.

Though.. what's the name for the entity that was before the GL and PD.. I am right in remembering they were once a whole being, right?

I wonder what caused the split in the first place.. perhaps it's something similar to Neifirst/Nei..
Divine Dragon
Cyborg
Cyborg

Achievements: 20

Postby The $ Avenger » Mon Aug 6, '07, 1:25 am

Divine Dragon wrote:I still say the PD totally counts, seeing as none of it would have happened without it. There'd be no reason to seal it and so no Algol.

Though.. what's the name for the entity that was before the GL and PD.. I am right in remembering they were once a whole being, right?

I wonder what caused the split in the first place.. perhaps it's something similar to Neifirst/Nei..
Yes, I agree the PD counts too. It was behind the scenes pulling the strings. I was just analyzing the step below the ultimate evil.

I don't think we ever hear the entity's name that was both the GL and PD. On this page it just calls it a being: http://www.phantasy-star.net/psu/psutime.html
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Next

Return to Classic Series