Who was the best Star Trek Captain

There's lots to talk about on the smaller screen.

Who was the best Star Trek Captain?

Captain Pike (first captain of Star Trek - Enterprise ever)
No votes
Captain Kirk (second captain of Star Trek - Enterprise)
33%
Captain Pickard (captain of Enterprise - Next Generation)
33%
Captain Riker (Next Generation)
33%
Captain Janeaway (Captain - Star Trek Voyager)
No votes
Captain in last Enterprise series (played by Scott Bakula)
No votes
Captain Sulu
No votes
Captain Worf (???- not sure if he was a captain but listing him anyway) :wink:
No votes
Captain Spock (??? - not sure if he was a captain but listing him anyway too) :yes:
No votes
Other - explain in post below
No votes

Total votes : 3

Who was the best Star Trek Captain

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Fri Nov 16, '07, 8:57 pm

Who was your favorite Star Trek Captain ever?

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Snorb » Sat Nov 17, '07, 12:45 am

First, some nerd knowledge/clarifications on the above: Spock was indeed a captain (He's the captain of the Enterprise in Star Trek II. Kirk, despite being an admiral at the time, was still called "Captain" because he was the senior-ranked officer on the ship.)

The captain from Star Trek: Enterprise was Jonathan Archer, played by Scott Bakula.

The first ever captain of the Enterprise as we know it is Robert April, who was only seen in the animated series episode "The Counter-Clock Incident."

And you forgot my favorite captain, Ben Sisko from Deep Space Nine. Why? He had to deal with the Cardassians, the Dominion, and numerous first contacts with species from the Gamma Quadrant. He even beat up Q once ^_^x

Addendum: Worf was never a captain, but he was the commanding officer of the Defiant during the movie Star Trek: First Contact.
Snorb

Achievements: 124

Postby Heikabuchi » Sat Nov 17, '07, 12:47 am

Riker has a history of wooing women and tackling klingons all in a single episode. When you think back to his persistance in taking Picard back from the Borg (Episode: The Best of Both Worlds part 1 and 2), he has the drive to tackle any objective that is given to him. He's physicaly strong, mentaly alert, and he has starfleets eye watching his progress, not an easy feet.
With or without a beard, Riker is the obvious choice as best captain. We're talking about a man that was bold enough to eat Klingon food and serve aboard as Klingon bird of prey. The man challenged Klag to a duelm and won! Any trekkie knows just how strong klingons are, so winning a hand-to-hand duel with them is no easy objective. Rikers prowess with a Bat'leth and phaser is uncanny. He's an excellent shuttlecraft pilot, and leads with a firm, yet caring hand. I'd follow him to hell and back. I'd follow him to the Delta Quadrent and back. I'd follow him from here to infinity, even if it meant I would never return. HAIL WILLIAM RIKER!!! It was because of Riker that I ordered a Bat'leth. (Don't ask where I got it.. Paramont would get angry. :dizzy: )

Riker: 11 / 10

If I had to pick a second captain, it would be Sisko. Anyone with the balls to punch Q has my respect.
"Q: You hit me!"
Sisko nods
"Q: Picard never hit me."
Siska has the burden of being a holy figure to the Bajorins and the captain of, no, not a starship, but a SPACE STATION! A station where fights are constant, resources are streteched, sabotages are numorous, computer errors are non-stop, and Cardassion attacks never cease. Sisko keeps a cool head while doing all of this, and still has time for a game of baseball every now and then. Serving with a not-so co-effecient command crew of various alien species, Sisko still keeps his cool and makes things run smoothly. Let's not forget about the preasure involved with dealing with multiple dominion attacks spread over every season. Less that helpful replicator systems under the every watchful eye of Miles O'Brian. Siska has to deal with petty disputes between Odo and Quark, Bashir and Garret, Quark, and.. well.. Quark in general actual. The little troll never seems to get along with anyone. Poor little guy. Sisko, for all of these things, you have my unwavering respect.
In short... STAR TREK OWNZ!!!!!!!!
Heikabuchi
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 42

Postby Thoul » Sat Nov 17, '07, 6:06 am

I go with Picard. He's a bit older than the other Captains so he often doesn't get into the action as much, but I enjoyed seeing how he approached all the various challenges he came across. A lot of the other Captains are good and had all kinds of different issues, but Picard had a certain kind of class that I find the others to lack. That's not to say that they were bad, just a different kind of character.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Heikabuchi » Sat Nov 17, '07, 9:52 am

Surfer, you misspelled Picards name.

Thoul,
Aye, Picard did have class. No other Captain loved his Tea nearly as much as Jean Luc. I loved the mystery that shrouded his artificial heart. All that Gene really let the viewers know, was that Picards heart was pierced while Picard was fighting three Knosikans while he was a cadet. I really enjoyed the episode where Q takes Picard back to that day and lets him (temporarily) change the outcome. No other Captain has survived such a personal encounter with the Borg than Picard. Oh, Janeway may have rumbled with them for 8 years, but the few days that Picard was transformed into Locutas must have seemed like an eternity. I can't imagine having all traced of individuality stripped away from you. The entire prospect is unbearable in every form. It may be extremely functional, but it leaves the soul with no way to express itself.
Heikabuchi
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Postby Heikabuchi » Sat Nov 17, '07, 9:58 am

I also have to give props to Captain Klag.
In a three part book series called "The I.K.S Gorkon", Captain Klag endures tasks unlike any that I've ever read/seen before. The trials that Klag goes through are unspeakable. He lost his right arm when his first command was shot down. Then he somehow manages to fight EIGHT JEM'HADAR and their Vorta, all with a single MeqleH and one arm. He deals with a less than helpful crew, a planet that renders technoledgy inopperable, betrayal, and demons from his past. Klag ranks as high as Riker in my book.
Heikabuchi
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Postby Neithird » Sun Nov 18, '07, 7:41 pm

Kirk - as good as the others were, Kirk set the standard for going where no one had gone before. :yes:
:clyde: · · · :pacman: · · · · · · ● · · · · :inky: · · ·
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." ~ Optimus Prime
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 21

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sun Nov 18, '07, 10:02 pm

Snorb wrote:And you forgot my favorite captain, Ben Sisko from Deep Space Nine. Why?

I'm not sure why I forgot to list Sisko. I know I had him in mind when beginning the poll, but just forgot to type him in somehow. I don't think I can change it now either. He was a terrific ST Capt. :yes:

Heikabuchi wrote:Surfer, you misspelled Picards name.

It looks like I did indeed, didn't I? :misspeak: Ooops, didn't mean too. I don't think I can change it now either.

Silver_Surfer1

Postby Thoul » Mon Nov 19, '07, 2:33 am

Klag... is that Klingon? It sounds like a Klingon name, but I've never read any of the Star Trek books.

I liked all the episodes with Q and Picard. They played off each other excellently. I was always sad that the other series and the TNG movies all but ignored Q entirely. :(
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Mon Nov 19, '07, 6:44 pm

My favorite Star Trek Captain, and the best ever imho, is Captain James T. (Tiberius, I think) Kirk. Second would definitely be Capt. Jean Luc Picard.

Thoul, it was sort of hard to understand why "Q" was not the focus of a movie or so. He was certainly very much a part of the tv series TNG.

Silver_Surfer1

Return to Tubular Television