PSIII Undiscovered Data

Explore the Alisa III as it travels the stars.

PSIII Undiscovered Data

Postby The $ Avenger » Wed Aug 8, '07, 12:46 am

PSIII threatens to draw me back into patch creation.... kaloes actually started the talk over on gamefaqs about remaking PSIII with RPG Maker, but of course, I thought about the possibilities of a harder mode simply within the rom. Since then, I've given a user over there (mr2) some pointers and did a little delving myself to see what I could find. I found the monster table and the initial character stats, while he has been expanding on those finds to make complete tables. I don't see myself making a patch of my own because I don't know the game well enough to create a difficult, but balanced patch of my own. That'll have to be done by someone else.

Ok, enough of an introduction; here is some of the craziness mr2 has found, (there are some very minor spoilers if you haven't completed the game yet): http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmes ... c=37322851
"Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit." Vyse, Skies of Arcadia Legends.
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 7

Postby Thoul » Wed Aug 8, '07, 3:04 am

I had heard that there were some missing monsters before, but not that many. I suppose it is to be expected; the development was supposedly very rushed.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Tsunami » Wed Aug 8, '07, 7:21 pm

I've known that Kara (most likely the warrior version) was a boss, but dunno if the sprite's viewable. I think it'd be cool if there was some way to rip the missing monster sprites from the rom itself, but I dunno if it's possible. (I know little about rom editing)

As for some of the missing enemies, some do appear on the GBA release of Phantasy Star Collection. A few enemies I've seen are the Twistbot, Swivlbot, and Rotabot group. They all look really weird, too.

In any case, good luck to you on this. :)
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby Thoul » Wed Aug 8, '07, 8:04 pm

You know, come to think of it, I believe I've seen the last enemy in the Finis group on the Genesis. It might just be a very rare monster.

I think it'd be cool if there was some way to rip the missing monster sprites from the rom itself, but I dunno if it's possible.

I've tried it before, but it doesn't work well with PS games. There's really only one set of sprites for all the monster variations. Like for the Rappy group, there's only one Rappy sprite. The game just changes the color of the sprite for each variation. I believe the game does the same with the reused hero sprites.

Finding the sprites is difficult, too... there are a lot of sprite viewers for SNES, but very few that support Genesis games. Most of those don't seem to be able to display the monster sprites, either.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby The $ Avenger » Thu Aug 9, '07, 1:25 am

Tsunami, I didn't know that about the GBA release. That's interesting. I didn't think they added anything to those games.

Thoul, I think you're right about the Finis. It's evidently found on the surface of Terminus. Not a place where one does much walking around!

As far as I can tell, finding Genesis sprites is a complete pain. I'm not sure how you'd go about finding the unused sprites if you can't readily see them in a Tile Editor. I did manage to find the character portrait sprites and the sprites of the characters when they are walking in VRAM using Gens Kmod, but I haven't figured out how to translate that into a rom address. I've gotten some tips on it to try and follow; if I solve that puzzle, then mr2's dream of hacking Sari into Mieu or Wren's spot will be finished, and I might even fire up the PSIV hacks again to change up some of the character sprites.

It certainly looks like there is a PSIII patch in the works! As you can see, the two of us have already discovered nearly enough to make a hard mode of PSIII, but I'm not going to turn that info into a patch for the game. I'm not familiar enough with PSIII to make a balanced version of it. I'm just creating a template for mr2 to edit. In fact, anyone that's an expert on PSIII could create a hard mode with our tables.

I should release my offset locations for all three of the PS games I've worked on so other people can make their own edits if they so choose!
"Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit." Vyse, Skies of Arcadia Legends.
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Postby Tsunami » Thu Aug 9, '07, 1:52 am

The Komrade wrote:Tsunami, I didn't know that about the GBA release. That's interesting. I didn't think they added anything to those games.

No? It was the reason why I went out of my way to purchase a GBA. :lol: Though I think they made the game easier... Going through places is much less challenging on it.

The Komrade wrote:I've gotten some tips on it to try and follow; if I solve that puzzle, then mr2's dream of hacking Sari into Mieu or Wren's spot will be finished, and I might even fire up the PSIV hacks again to change up some of the character sprites.

Hmm, Sari was nice, but she was too strong. She can't die (which would make a solo challenge with her too easy) unless you feel like stripping her of her equipment and letting her get killed intentionally and she's unquestionably the most powerful character in the game. I've compared her stats to each of the 3rd generation heroes and they don't even come close. Her only low stat at level 1 (aside from TP at 0) is Skill at 12 points, though since she doesn't use techs, it's of no use to her anyways.
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Postby Thoul » Thu Aug 9, '07, 4:46 am

Thoul, I think you're right about the Finis. It's evidently found on the surface of Terminus. Not a place where one does much walking around!

That makes sense. I do remember walking around there for while one time. I must have seen it there.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Divine Dragon » Thu Aug 9, '07, 4:48 am

The Komrade wrote:I've gotten some tips on it to try and follow; if I solve that puzzle, then mr2's dream of hacking Sari into Mieu or Wren's spot will be finished, and I might even fire up the PSIV hacks again to change up some of the character sprites.

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

ZIOOOO IN MY PARTY?!

I know it won't happen.. but it's something I've been thinking about lately. xD A game from his perspective.
Divine Dragon
Cyborg
Cyborg

Achievements: 20

Postby Tsunami » Thu Aug 9, '07, 7:46 am

Divine Dragon wrote: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

ZIOOOO IN MY PARTY?!

I know it won't happen.. but it's something I've been thinking about lately. xD A game from his perspective.

Actually. That would make for a very interesting fangame. Question is, would anyone consider doing that? :D
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Postby The $ Avenger » Fri Aug 10, '07, 1:06 am

Divine Dragon wrote: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

ZIOOOO IN MY PARTY?!

That'd be very interesting indeed. It would be quite possible to do such a thing if that fellow that contacted me about the PSIV Editor ever comes to pass, (haven't heard from him in a couple of weeks though. :evil: ) An editor like that would open up so many possibilities... you could remake PSI-III using PSIV's engine, make sequels, prequels... using the skeleton of PSIV for a template. With sprite editing, and some skill, you could easily make a game with Zio a playable character.

GAAA!!! The PSIII sprites elude me. Finding them in the rom requires using Gens Tracer, which I have stared for hours at on several occasions with absolutely no results. Evidently you need to be a programmer to touch the higher concepts of hacking.
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Next

Return to Phantasy Star III