Who is the Better Ax User in the Classic PS Series?

Discuss the saga of Algo, where the legend began.

Who is the Better Ax Wielder?

Odin
No votes
Gryz
100%

Total votes : 5

Who is the Better Ax User in the Classic PS Series?

Postby The $ Avenger » Thu Sep 13, '07, 12:58 am

I think this will cover all the characters, after which, I'll have to come up with some new character comparisons! :D When it comes to Ax wielders, there are only two: Odin and Gryz, with Gryz being limited to only Axes. So, when taking both story and combat abilities into account, who is your choice, and why? The legendary strongman, Odin ,or the only playable Motavian, Gryz?
"Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit." Vyse, Skies of Arcadia Legends.
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 7

Postby Tsunami » Thu Sep 13, '07, 2:35 am

For me, the choice was Gryz. I loved how in PSIV they gave Motavians their own towns. In PSI they were enemies; PSII, they either lived in dumps or were seen in various Palman towns. So PSIV was another step up and the fact that one joins the party is a very nice change! :)

Another reason for choosing Gryz was that I liked his overall character, even if he was a little rash. :p
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby Thoul » Thu Sep 13, '07, 8:23 pm

For the most part, I find Odin more useful as a gun user. There are exceptions, like boss fights, where axes are better for him, but I usually don't think of him as an axe guy.

So, I go with Gryz too. He gets bonus points for being the most developed Motavian in the whole series, too.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby The $ Avenger » Fri Sep 14, '07, 1:33 am

I too have to go with Gryz. He's a devoted Ax-wielder, and I find him to be more useful that Odin despite his nearly non-existent Tech and Skill ability. He really needed a single enemy attack Skill though.

Odin is so very blah. He's just so frustrating to use because there are very few balanced regions in PSI where you can equip him with just a gun or just an ax and have it be the right equipment for him. The Lac Ax was great on single enemies, like a Marauder, but then you get ambushed by 8 Mammoths around the next corner. :evil:

Story-wise, I definitely like Gryz better there too. His purpose of revenge is much better defined through the course of the game, and there's quite a unique atmosphere in Tonoe overall.

Odin is a bit of a dunderhead, chasing Medusa around without realizing she'd turn him to stone instantly without the Mirror Shield. I don't believe he even offers a reason why he's after Lassic.

Gryz wins in all categories for me!
"Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit." Vyse, Skies of Arcadia Legends.
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 7

Postby Thoul » Fri Sep 14, '07, 11:48 pm

Odin is a bit of a dunderhead, chasing Medusa around without realizing she'd turn him to stone instantly without the Mirror Shield. I don't believe he even offers a reason why he's after Lassic.

I think he might have been expecting that to happen. Myau had the bottle of Alshline before they went after Medusa, so I'm sure they at least considered the possibility. Whatever plans they had failed when Myau couldn't open the bottle. Their big mistake was not making sure Myau could use the medicine on his own.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Return to Classic Series