Which version of names do you prefer, English or Japanese?

Discuss the saga of Algo, where the legend began.

Which version of names do you prefer, English or Japanese?

Postby Divine Dragon » Mon Jul 16, '07, 8:53 pm

It's simple, which do you prefer, for example, Rune or Thray?

Rika or Fal?

The list goes on, maybe you prefer some from one and some from another.

I myself, especially like the name Rune. Fal is also one I like, and I also like that Raja has... in some respects.. a two part name like most others in the Japanese version.
Divine Dragon
Cyborg
Cyborg

Achievements: 20

Re: Which version of names do you prefer, English or Japanes

Postby Thoul » Mon Jul 16, '07, 9:10 pm

Generally I always prefer the English versions of names in any game series. That's the version I play, so I usually couldn't care less about differences from the Japanese version. There are exceptions to that like having or missing extra content of course, but stuff like name changes is just trivia to me.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Divine Dragon » Mon Jul 16, '07, 9:15 pm

Thoul wrote:Generally I always prefer the English versions of names in any game series. That's the version I play, so I usually couldn't care less about differences from the Japanese version. There are exceptions to that like having or missing extra content of course, but stuff like name changes is just trivia to me.
Haha. A very valid point, good Thoul. I guess I may even also see it as trivia, but I'm still interested to hear what you all think.
Divine Dragon
Cyborg
Cyborg

Achievements: 20

Postby The $ Avenger » Tue Jul 17, '07, 12:56 am

I've always preferred the English names, because I hadn't heard what the Japanese names were until the last six months or so! I'll have to look them over and think about this one.
"Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit." Vyse, Skies of Arcadia Legends.
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 7

Postby Tsunami » Tue Jul 17, '07, 5:57 am

I like the english names for the most part, (except Noah in PSI, Lutz is better in my opinion) but in PSIII there's a few names that I prefer over the english version, while other names are worse!

Rhys > Kein (I've also seen it as Kane on a fan translation, but I prefer Kein)
Maia > Marina (another name I saw for her was Marlena on the fan translation, which reminds me of, you've guessed it, Lena)
Crys > Noin
Gwyn > Laya (would've kept with the family tradition >_>)

Names that are pretty bad:
Sari > Lann
Thea > Lynn
Alair > Luise (Alair sounds nicer to me :D )
Wren > Shirren (I'm sorry, I know there's people who like this, but I'm not one of them...also have seen this name as Searren o_O)

Names that I have no opinion on:
Ain > Ayn (one letter difference)
Nial > Lane (Nial's more suiting, in my opinion~)
Laya > Laia (one letter difference)
Ryan > Dan (I have seen it also as Don...I dunno what to think here)
Sean > Shiin
Kara > Luna
Adan > Fuin (well, I've seen his name also as Fin, which sounds better than Fuin to me)
Aron > Ruin (hey, rhymes with Adan's! Ruin's growing on me, though)

Sorry if it's out of order, and as far as my picks go, well, I guess I'm a little odd when it comes to names. :mrgreen:

I think that's all of them... As far as I know, Lyle, Lune, Lena, Siren, and Mieu don't have any change. Though I have seen other variations of these. :D It gets confusing, so sticking with English to keep up with familiarity helps.
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby The $ Avenger » Wed Jul 18, '07, 1:16 am

I agree that Lutz is better for PSI. And after reviewing the names, I really like the PSIII names too, especially when they are tied to the character's town/kingdom of origin. It would have been great to see those names in the game attached to them. That would clear up things like, so... who was Lena... and why is she an option to marry her... (Marries her,) :idea: OH! She's a princess too?!?!
"Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit." Vyse, Skies of Arcadia Legends.
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 7

Postby Snorb » Wed Jul 18, '07, 3:52 am

PSI: Japanese names (Alisa/Myau/Tairon/Lutz) all the way. Prolly because I'm playing the retranslation now.

PSII: English names (Rolf &c.). No real idea why.

PSIII: English names. Again, no clue.

PSIV: English names, but I use Chaz's Japanese last name (Ashleigh, as opposed to the US version's Ashley) just to be difficult.
Snorb

Achievements: 124

Postby Neithird » Thu Jul 19, '07, 1:59 am

I like the English names more mostly. Fal and some of the others are okay, but I was introduced to them with the English names, so that's what I like more.

Except maybe Noah/Lutz. I don't really have a strong preference there, but I usually think of the guy as Lutz. I was introduced to it as Lutz in PS4, so I go with that.
:clyde: · · · :pacman: · · · · · · ● · · · · :inky: · · ·
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." ~ Optimus Prime
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 21

Postby Icecypher » Tue Sep 16, '14, 6:30 pm

I always like original names better. Thanks to being exposed as a kid to anime with original Japanese names and even the Katakana symbols still intact in the dub. That made me sensible enough to know not all names in the world sounded like the ones on my city. Also, that not everyone used writing the same way, which is a good step into learning other languages, I suppose.

With things like The NeverEnding Story, I even try to use the German names, even though I know like 2 words in German (not really, I think I know 3).

A problem with liking names in Japanese, though, is that sometimes the creators do not care enough to give the proper Roman spelling (perhaps they do not even know it). In Dragon Quest VI there is a character whose Japanese name is MIRE-YU. This is the pronunciation and spelling used in Japanese for the French name Mireille. But even (semi)official materials use something like "Milayou" when they try to write it in our characters.
ImageImageImageImage
Phantasy Star fan art
deviantART - Blogspot
Icecypher
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 63

Postby Snorb » Tue Sep 16, '14, 7:06 pm

I know I last posted in this thread seven years ago (and I think that's some kind of non-Usenet record =p) but I should post The Revised Version of Names I Prefer.

PSI: I call the party Alisa, Myau, Odin, and Lutz in narration; some of Alisa's non-party friends drop the extra A at the end, Odin's driver's license says "Tyrone Tyler," and Lutz's girlfriend calls him Noah.

PSII: I go with the English names, but as what I prefer to think of as a nice nod, I do reference the Japanese names. Rolf's last name is his Japanese name, Amy's parents use Amy and Hugh's Japanese names (making them Huey and Anne Sage), and Shir's full legal name is Shilka Levinia Gold. (She thinks "Shir" sounds cooler.)

PSIII: Just the English names... which sadly kills the whole Lann/Lynn thing that Thea and Sari had going for them in the Japanese version. (Then again, keeping with what I do with PSII fiction, Sari's middle name is Lynn, because her first name in PSIIIJ is Lynn. Consistency! Or lack thereof.)

PSIV: Entirely the English names, but I do use the Japanese spelling for Chaz's last name (Ashleigh instead of Ashley; this applies to his PSO-era great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-granddaughter, Iria. And yes, I actually did more or less do the math on this years ago.)

Icecypher wrote:A problem with liking names in Japanese, though, is that sometimes the creators do not care enough to give the proper Roman spelling (perhaps they do not even know it). In Dragon Quest VI there is a character whose Japanese name is MIRE-YU. This is the pronunciation and spelling used in Japanese for the French name Mireille. But even (semi)official materials use something like "Milayou" when they try to write it in our characters.

I remember her! The English DS version gives her the name Millie, which I guess is close enough.
Read my social stuff!
The ramblings of an oldish geezer on Facebook.
@SnorbESnorb on Twitter. The "E" stands for "Everything."

Play my games!
The ArrrPG - A game I made about being a pirate. This be a first draft, matey! Though it plays just fine, clap yer eyes on th' eventual Revised an' Expanded Edition and you'll be pleased, by thunder!

Nakama: A Card Game of Magical Girls - A completely un-playtested card game about being a magical girl.

Well, excuse me while I defy all laws of logic and common sense and do it anyway.
Snorb

Achievements: 124

Next

Return to Classic Series